Darksiders II Leads August U.S. Sales
Update: Nintendo released some new statistics showing huge increases in 3DS sales since the launch of its new, larger XL hardware. According to Nintendo, 3DS hardware sales (we assume this means both original and XL hardware) increased 36 percent over July. 3DS software, thanks to the success of New Super Mario Bros. 2, did even better, increasing over 68 percent over the previous month.
Nintendo also revealed specific sales figures for the two big 3DS titles of the month. New Super Mario Bros. 2 moved 240,000 units, making it the highest selling individual SKU of the month. Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance sold 180,000 copies.
U.S. market research firm NPD released its latest video game retail sales figures for the month of August. THQ's Darksiders II led software sales with 247,000 units sold. Transformers: Fall of Cybertron from Activision placed 7th and sold 105,000 units.
Overall game sales declined 20 percent year-over-year from $647.2MM to $515.6MM, according to NPD.
Below is the top 10 list of best-selling video games in the U.S. for August 2012:
- Darksiders II (360, PS3, PC)**
- New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (3DS)**
- NCAA Football 13 (360, PS3)
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC)
- Sleeping Dogs (360, PS3)
- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron (360, PS3)
- Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)**
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)**
- The Amazing Spider-Man (360, PS3, NDS, 3DS, Wii)
**(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)
NPD's reporting period is from July 29 through August 25, which is why Madden NFL 13 (August 28) is noticeably absent from this list.