Report: Battlefield To Return To World War II
Time is a flat circle. After Call of Duty found great financial success in returning to the second Great War, it looks like Battlefield might be following suit. GamesBeat is currently reporting that EA is planning on taking the series, which had its most recent entry set in World War I, to World War II. This will be the first time since 2009 that Battlefield has had a game take place during World War II.
GamesBeat says that the sources that have supplied this information wish to remain anonymous. However, the publication's track record on rumors is strong, and considering how much success EA and DICE had with Battlefield's return to historical settings, it makes sense for the series to stay there for at least a bit longer. According to these sources, this new Battlefield is set release before the end of 2018.
The reporter who broke the story, Jeffery Grubb, included what he says is a screenshot of a dev build of the game:
Late-breaking update: after the story went live, I was able to confirm that this image is real. The name was changed internally from Battlefield 2 to Battlefield V. It is still set during WWII, and is coming this year. https://t.co/sT0D9RSkV2 pic.twitter.com/H8zkJ8QS8m— Jeffrey Grubb (@JeffGrubb) March 1, 2018
GamesBeat also revealed a tidbit that will disappoint fans of Bad Company. Those same sources say that there is no Bad Company 3 currently in development right now, once again supporting what was said last year.
You can find out more by reading the entire article here.
For more on Battlefield, be sure to check out our review of Battlefield 1.
Obviously, take all of this with a grain of salt since EA has confirmed nothing. However, GamesBeat is a reliable source and jumping to World War II would make sense for the publisher given just how well Battlefield 1 has performed since release.