Battleborn Receives Substantial Free Trial
Gearbox Software MOBA/First-person shooter hybrid has received a free trial a little over a year after the game first released. Late last years there were rumors that Gearbox was prepping a free-to-play version of the game but CEO Randy Pitchford shot that down pretty quickly.
The trial doesn't make the game completely make it free-to-play due to the limited roster but it's pretty close. Gearbox says that "Players can now pick up Battleborn as a free downloadable experience that grants UNLIMITED access to all competitive multiplayer gameplay modes and maps, without any time limits or level caps. To keep things fresh, there is a weekly rotation of six heroes from the roster of 30 total heroes. Progress with each hero and player account progression is also permanent, so when the same character comes back around players can pick them up where they left off."
You can watch a trailer for the mode here:
And if you want a further breakdown, here's more video on that:
It's worth noting those who have owned the game before the free-to-play version will receive Founder's Status and be given the following perks:
- 1,000 Platinum
- 50,000 Credits
- Exclusive “Founder” player title
- Gold skins for Mellka and Deande
- 5 Core Loot Packs
- 1 of each Command Faction Pack (5 total)
- 1 Exclusive “Founder Loot Pack” that includes…
- 1 guaranteed piece of legendary gear
- 1 guaranteed piece of legendary boss gear
- 2 guaranteed pieces of common (or better) gear
- Guaranteed exclusive legendary “Shard of Solus” gear item (a 0 activation cost LLC Shard Generator)
- 4 guaranteed Flair items including exclusive “Founder’s Crown” Flair item
Those who stick with the free version of the game will be playing with a roster of six characters that switch out every week but will otherwise have full access to all competitive modes and maps. The trial is now available on PS4, PC, and Xbox One.
Miller wasn't too enthusiastic about Battleborn in his review of the game but hey, if it's free, why not give it a whirl?