The Second Street Fighter V Beta Is Having Some Problems
Capcom has given itself a long lead to polish Street Fighter V’s online performance. It’s a good thing, because the second beta isn’t without significant problems.
The beta began a bit earlier than the expected start date of October 22 (today). The idea was to give Capcom some time optimize, but problems arose that will carry through the entire test phase.
“Unfortunately, several new issues arose last night in regards to our match-making system and the rate at which matches were made, and we are not confident that the matchmaking rate will improve significantly throughout the course of this beta period,” the company posted on its website on October 21. “That said, user experiences will vary.”
The remainder of the beta will run as follows (though it's subject to change):
- 10/21/15 18:00 PST (10/22 02:00 BST/10:00 JST) – The second SFV beta begins for PS4 users. Characters available: Ken, Necalli, Vega, R. Mika
- 10/22/15 14:00 PST (22:00 BST/ 10/23 06:00 JST) – Servers down for scheduled maintenance for 12 hours.
- 10/23/15 02:00 PST (10:00 BST/18:00 JST) – Servers back online. Rashid unlocked.
- 10/23/15 09:00 PST (17:00 BST/ 10/24 01:00 JST) – The second SFV beta begins for both PC and PS4 users (cross-platform play).
- 10/23/15 17:00 PST (10/24 01:00 BST/09:00 JST) – Karin unlocked.
- 10/24/15 04:00 PST (12:00 BST/20:00 JST) – Servers down for scheduled maintenance for 10 hours.
- 10/24/15 14:00 PST (22:00 BST/ 10/25 06:00 JST) – Servers back online.
- 10/25/15 16:00 PST (10/26 0:00 BST/ 08:00 JST) – Beta 2 concludes.
Capcom has announced three beta tests for Street Fighter V. The last one is undated as yet.
[Source: Capcom Unity]
After last fall’s flood of problem plagued releases, Capcom is smart to be giving itself as much time as possible to perfect performance. Online, lag-free play is crucial to fighting games, and problems now should make for a smoother launch in 2016.