Guinness World Records Confirms GTA V’s Astounding Launch
Rockstar reported a spectacular launch for Grand Theft Auto V, with over $800 million in its first day, $1 billion in only three days, and a projected $437 million in post-launch sales. The game’s commercial success has been confirmed by Guinness World Records. Grand Theft Auto V, which was developed by Rockstar North and published by Rockstar Games, made $815.7 million in its first day, and it broke six other records. The game was released on PS3 and Xbox 360 consoles.
In relation to the today’s announcement, Guinness World Records’ editor-in-chief Craig Glenday said, “Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it's taken on the might of Hollywood and won!” Grand Theft Auto V broke seven records, which are listed below:
- Best-selling action-adventure videogame in 24 hours
- Best-selling videogame in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion
- Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame
Grand Theft Auto V is the last and greatest commercial bang of this console generation. For a game that was only released on two consoles, Grand Theft Auto V speaks volumes about the profit that can still be made in this industry, and, I might add, that a game can have a long development cycle and still make a whole lot of moolah.