Sony Announces Indie Deals With VVVVVV, Dustforce, And More
Today during an event PAX 2013 event in Seattle, Washington, Sony announced a slew of upcoming indie games heading to the PS3, PS4, and Vita. The newcomers to the Sony family include Divekick on PlayStation 4, VVVVVV for Vita, and Octodad: Dadliest Catch getting PlayStation Move support.
Sony drove home its support of indie titles during a press conference during Gamescom 2013 last week in Cologne, Germany, Hot on the heels of that reaffirmation of their indie initiative, the publisher made the following announcements:
- Double Fine is developing extra content for The Playroom, which comes pre-installed on PS4s
- Divekick is coming to the PlayStation 4
- Octodad: Dadliest Catch is gaining Move support
- VVVVVV is coming to the PlayStation Vita
- Cosmic Star Heroes by Zeboyd Games (Cthulu Saves the World) is coming to PlayStaiton 4 and Vita
- Dustforce is coming to PlayStation 4 and Vita, published by Capcom
- Road Not Taken by Spry Games (Triple Town) is coming to PlayStation 4 and Vita.
Sony is setting itself up to be the undisputed king of indie gaming on home consoles. It's interesting to consider whether this outspoken support for indie games was always part of the company's plan, or if Sony is ratcheting it up to continue to make itself look better compared to Microsoft. With Microsoft continually going back on previous statements, Sony's intense indie support is one of the few remaining things separating the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Whatever the reason for Sony's continued indie boosting, we're a huge fan of it and hope it continues.