EA Announces Line Of Official Battlefield 4 Merchandise
In anticipation of Battlefield 4’s launch on October 29, Electronic Arts and DICE are launching a number of Battlefield brand products. Key items in the lineup include a Battlefield 4 novel written by Peter Grimsdale, a Titan art book, and Battlefield 4 gaming peripherals.
Peter Grimsdale is a British television producer and novelist, known for the books Perfect Night and Just Watch Me. His novel, Battlefield 4, provides backstory for the upcoming game, presumably featuring the same protagonists.
Titan is a London-based publishing group that specializes in entertainment-related books. They publish trade paperbacks, graphic novels, coffee table books, and have even covered video game titles like Halo 4 and Assassin’s Creed IV. Its Battlefield art book will be titled, Battlefield 4.
EA’s product list also includes a range of PC peripherals by Razer – mice, keyboards, headsets, and carrying bags –and console controllers made by PDP.
Here is a full list of the products, which will likely be available sometime between now and October 29:
• Orion Publishing Group Battlefield 4 novel written by Peter Grimsdale
• Titan Books Battlefield 4 art book in Standard and Limited Editions
• Razer performance PC gaming peripherals and accessories, including mice, keyboards, headsets, messengers bags, and iPhone® cases
• PDP performance Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers
• Qpad premium PC mouse mats
• Jinx clothing apparel and accessories including t-shirts, hoodies, hats, key chains and dog tags
• Prima Games Standard and Collection Edition strategy guides
• Cook & Becker Battlefield 4 artwork
• Walls360 Battlefield 4 wall graphics
• BigBen Interactive mobile device and tablet cases
Some of you may remember that DICE released a similar product campaign for Battlefield 3. Overall, this type of marketing isn't uncommon for big-budget triple-A titles, but one has to wonder about the quality of some of these items. Battlefield 3's weakest element was its single player campaign and trite story, and there haven't been any indications that this year's entry will be any more compelling. This makes a novelized prequel story less than appealing to me.
Razer and PDP are known for making quality peripherals, but be aware that you might be paying a premium for the Battlefield styling. As for the clothing? That's a personal style choice.