Sony Releases Official PlayStation 4 Specs
Sony is fleshing out the specs of the PlayStation 4 with more detailed information on the system's processor, GPU, and disc drive.
Sony revealed some general specs for the PlayStation 4 during its conference last night, but a new press release from the company sheds a little more light on the system. Here's the rundown, straight from Sony:
- CPU: single-chip custom processor, x86-64 AMD "Jaguar," 8 cores
- GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon-based graphics engine
- Memory: 8GB GDDR5
- Built-in hard disk drive (Sony didn't specify how big the hard drive will be)
- 6X Blu-Ray Drive, 8X DVD
- USB 3 and Auxiliary ports (Sony didn't specify how many ports)
- Gigabit Ethernet port, 802.11 B/G/N built-in WiFi, and Bluetooth 2.1
- HDMI, Analog-AV, and digital optical outputs
During the press conference, Sony also stressed that including 8GB of GDDR5 memory was the number-one request from developers; 8GB provides over 15 times the amount of memory the PS3 has.
It will be a while until we see what developers are capable of doing with the new hardware, but Sony's pledge to make a more developer-friendly console this time around is good news for progammers and gamers alike.