News

Inafune: Capcom Resisted New IP

by Matthew Kato on May 09, 2011 at 05:18 AM

At a recent seminar at a university in Kyoto, former Capcom R&D head and Dead Rising producer Keiji Inafune revealed a few interesting tidbits about his former employer.

Inafune said that at the end of the PlayStation 2 era, the company had a declared intent to have 70-80 percent of its games as sequels, leaving only 20 percent for new franchises.

Capcom had budgeted money for the creation of game prototypes to test out new concepts, but when the company rejected Lost Planet and Dead Rising during this stage, Inafune continued to work on them. He correctly reasoned that if he continued to create the games even though they'd been declined, they would reach a point where the company had already spent so much money on them that they'd have no choice but to release them as games just to try and recoup their investment. Inafune says that Lost Planet alone exceeded its prototype budge by 400 percent.

Both games went on to sell millions of copies worldwide, but Inafune says that he was going to be "fired for war crimes" if they failed.

Inafune has since left Capcom and started up his own studios, Intercept and Comcept.

Head over to Andriasang for the full article.