Splinter Cell Takes Out The Competition In April NPD Sales [Updated With Top 20]
[Updated with full Top 20]
It's been a couple of weeks since April ended, which means NPD has had time to gather and release sales data from last month. In what ended up being an unsurprisingly slow month for the industry, Sam Fisher's latest adventure in Splinter Cell: Conviction took the top of the software charts, while the Wii and DS remained the top-selling hardware.
Without a ton of new releases, April was a pretty slow month for software. The latest Pokemon games for the DS clung to the top of the charts from last month, as did Wii mainstays like New Super Mario Bros., Wii Sports Resort, and Just Dance. Curiously, Wii Fit Plus took the apparently permanent place in the top 10 normally held by Wii Fit.
The 360 version of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 remained a strong seller, while the PS3 version of the new Super Street Fighter IV eked in at number 10. Notably absent from the top 10 was Capcom's other big April release, Monster Hunter Tri.
Check out the full software list below, but note that as of this month NPD is only offering up actual sales numbers for the top five games:
1. Splinter Cell: Convinction (360) - Ubisoft - 486,100 units sold
2. Pokemon SoulSilver (DS) - Nintendo - 242,900 units sold
3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) - Nintendo - 200,300 units sold
4. Pokemon HeartGold (DS) - Nintendo - 192,600 units sold
5. God of War III (PS3) - Sony - 180,300 units sold
6. Wii Sports Resort (Wii) - Nintendo
7. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360) - EA
8. Wii Fit Plus w/Balance Board (Wii) - Nintendo
9. Just Dance (Wii) - Ubisoft
10. Super Street Fighter IV (PS3) - Capcom
11. Monster Hunter 3 Tri (Wii) - Capcom
12. Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City (PS3) - Rockstar Games
13. New Super Mario Bros. (DS) - Nintendo
14. Super Street Fighter IV (360) - Capcom
15. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3) - EA
16. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360) - Activision
17. MLB 10: The Show (PS3) - Sony
18. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - Nintendo
19. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3) - Activision
20. Major League Baseball 2K10 (360) - Take 2
On the hardware side, every system experienced a drop in sales from March's numbers. The actual sales rankings remain the same, but the PS3 has gotten even closer to closing the gap between its sales and the Xbox 360's. Notably, NPD has finally chosen to remove PlayStation 2 sales from their report, although as of last month the last-gen console was selling nearly as many units as the PSP.
Here are the numbers:
1. Nintendo DS - 440,800 units sold
2. Wii - 277,200 units sold
3. Xbox 360 - 185,400 units sold
4. PlayStation 3 - 180,800 units sold
5. PSP - 65,500 units sold