Microsoft Studio The Initiative Hires Red Dead Redemption Writer, Rise Of The Tomb Raider Co-Director
Microsoft's new internal studio The Initiative, announced during the company's E3 showcase, has hired a slew of industry veterans. Ex-Crystal Dynamics head Darrell Gallagher, The Initiative's studio head, announced six new hires via LinkedIn, according to GamesIndustry.Biz. Gallagher later deleted the post, but ResetEra user CrimsonEclipse posted a screenshot of his post.
The new hires are as follows:
- Brian Westergaard, lead producer of God Of War (2018) and Rise Of The Tomb Raider
- Annie Lohr, a recruiter who formerly worked at Respawn Entertainment, Riot Games, and Microsoft Studios
- Christian Cantamessa, writer of Read Dead Redemption and Middle Earth: Shadow Of War
- Blake Fischer, senior director of portfolio planning at Microsoft for 16 years
- Daniel Neuburger, co-director of Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Lindsey McQueeney, hired as The Initiative's HR and culture manager
Westergaard, Neuburger, and Cantamessa are particularly significant hires, especially given that Phil Spencer teased that The Initiative would be working on a narrative-based game.