It seems like the Stanley Cup Finals just ended, but we're only roughly a month away from NHL training camp. Accordingly, EA Canada continues to shed light on the changes coming to NHL 14.
Today's topic du jour is the EA Sports Hockey League, the online 6v6 mode. Here are a few of the community driven changes headed your way when NHL 14 ships for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on September 10.
- The Online Season format made famous by FIFA is coming to the EASHL, complete with a relegation/promotion system. Winning games moves your team up into more skilled divisions, while losing will plummet you down into softer competition. NHL 14 has 10 divisional tiers.
- The EASHL now features weekly playoffs. The tourneys are now double elimination, which should make them last longer.
- EA improved the matchmaking so it's easier to land a matchup against an EASHL team from a similar division level.
- You can can set up ranked challenges as long as the opposing team is within two divisions of your host team.
- To give you more flexibility with upgrades, instead of selecting a specific hockey shop item you can apply a voucher of a specific value to whatever skill you want. For instance, rather than buying a +3 skate skill, you can purchase a +3 voucher and apply it to whatever skill you want. You can also buy equipment slots and boost packs.