Nintendo Reveals Japan-Exclusive Famicom Mini To Celebrate Shonen Jump Anniversary
Nintendo has announced a special edition of the Famicom Mini, the Japanese version of the NES Mini, focused on Shonen Jump titles released on the Famicom.
Weekly Shonen Jump, the manga magazine that has published major series like Dragon Ball, One Piece, Fist of the North Star, My Hero Academia, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and a whole lot more, is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. To commemorate this occasion, Nintendo is releasing a new golden Famicom Mini that focuses on Shonen Jump titles
The games, which were all Shonen Jump series titles released on the Famicom, are as follows:
- Tag Team Match: MUSCLE
- Dragon Quest
- Fist of the North Star
- Dragon Ball: Shenron no Nazo
- Kinnikuman: Kinnikusei Oui Soudatsusen
- Saint Seiya: Ougon Densetsu
- Captain Tsubasa
- Saint Seiya: Ougon Densetsu Kanketsu-hen
- Famicom Jump: Hero Retsuden
- Sakigake!! Otokojuku Shippuu Ichi Gou Sei
- Ankoku Shinwa: Yamato Takeru Densetsu
- Tenchi wo Kurau (Destiny of an Emperor)
- Hokuto no Ken 3: Shin Seiki Souzou Seiken Retsuden
- Dragon Ball 3: Gokuden
- Captain Tsubasa 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Kyoushuu! Saiyajin
- Magical Taluluto-kun: Fantastic World
- Famicom Jump II: Saikyo no Shichinin
- Rokudenashi Blues
Dragon Quest is likely included due to Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibōken, which ran for 37 volumes and one is Jump's most successful manga of all time.
The new Famicom Mini is being released in very limited quantities and is in a shiny gold color, denoting its specialness. Don't hold your breath on it ever coming stateside, though, so you're going to need to pull some serious strings if you want to order it from Japan when it releases on July 7.
Interesting, but much like the special Super Mario Bros. edition of the Wii that is super rare, this will be so difficult to get that I almost don't want to acknowledge its existence. Nintendo has said they plan to reprint the Famicom and NES Minis later this year, so this was likely a pretty easy thing to do for Nintendo.