NHL 17 Predicts This Season's Stanley Cup Winner
EA Sports has once again used the sim engine for its latest hockey title, NHL 17, to predict what will happen in the league this year, including who will raise the Stanley Cup.
The Nashville Predators, perhaps boosted by the acquisition of P.K. Subban, win the President's trophy for the most points in the regular season. This usually isn't a good predictor for performance in the playoffs, but is it a talisman for the team this year?
Elsewhere around the league, both the usually beleaguered Toronto Maple Leafs and Edmonton Oilers make the playoffs, the latter behind newly made captain Connor McDavid.
In the Stanley Cup Finals, Preds defenseman Subban faces his old club, The Montreal Canadiens, besting them in six games (4-2).
Don't run to Vegas with the number to your bank account, however, as unlike Madden the NHL sim engine does not have a good record in predicting the real-life winner of the Stanley Cup. In fact, it's to the point where Preds fans should be worried about how their team is going to fare outside of the game...
Finally, here are your end of the season award winners:
- Presidents' Trophy: Nashville Predators
- Conn Smythe Trophy: Filip Forsberg (NSH)
- Hart Memorial Trophy: Connor McDavid (EDM)
- Art Ross Trophy: Connor McDavid (EDM)
- James Norris Memorial Trophy: Brent Burns (SJS)
- Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy: Vladimir Tarasenko (STL)
- Vezina Trophy: Carey Price (MTL)
- William M. Jennings Trophy: Martin Jones (SJS)
- Frank J. Selke Trophy: Anze Kopitar (LA)
- Lady Byng Memorial Trophy: Nicklas Backstrom (WAS)
- Calder Memorial Trophy: Auston Matthews (TOR)
- Ted Lindsay Award: Connor McDavid (EDM)