Nintendo Shows Off New Pokémon For Sun & Moon, Gameplay, And Battle Changes
Nintendo showed off lots of new gameplay for the upcoming Pokémon Sun & Moon and outlined a number of changes large and small, as well as some new Pokémon.
Below you can find a bullet-point list of these changes, some of which were previously implied in trailers, but now they have been confirmed.
- The trainer is always present in battle and you can see yourself and your opponent standing behind the Pokémon.
- There is a new perspective for the third-person camera as you're exploring the overworld.
- Expect more details in combat and as you explore, like lighting and shadows, that will reveal the time of day.
- The interface for battles has been updated to be more accessible. In mid-battle, it's easier to bring up information about the effects of moves and your Pokémon.
- You can also pull up a list of a list of assorted status effects in mid-battle.
- Yungoos is a new Pokémon who is always hungry.
- Pikipek can peck very fast and is based on woodpecker.
- Grubbin is a new bug-type Pokémon.
- The Pokédex has more details and makes it clear when a Pokémon has additional forms by showcasing a white Pokéball in the background of entries.
- Rotom Poekdex is an item, helps you with Pokémon tips, and gives you hints about where to go next, etc.
- The trainer character models have new proportions, updated animations, and will also have customizable outfits and full analog movement. No more grid movement!
- Shadows appear around the screen, warning you are about to approach a trainer who wants to fight.
- This character's bag is important in some way, but it's a secret. The same goes for the bracelets worn by trainers.
- When you battle a Pokémon, the game keeps track of what attacks work well against different opponents and reminds you during combat.
- A new Battle Royale mode was revealed. It pits four players against each other simultaneously. Everyone can attack each other, and the winner is selected based on their defeat/victory ratio.