News

Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy Offers Spark Of Hope For Canceled Star Wars: 1313

by Mike Futter on Dec 09, 2015 at 02:33 PM

When Disney closed LucasArts in 2013, one of the projects dropped to the cutting room floor was the highly anticipated Star Wars: 1313. We don’t know if that was just a project name for the prototype footage shown the year before at E3, but it quickly became something fans were excited about.

More than two years later, a new interview with Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy conducted by Slashfilm, reveals that it might not be as dead as previously believed. ”So our attitude is, we don’t want to throw any of that stuff away,” she told the publication. “It’s gold. And it’s something we’re spending a lot of time looking at, pouring through, discussing, and we may very well develop those things further. We definitely want to.”

Slashfilm also spoke with Kennedy about the planned Star Wars live television show. Those concepts, and the early work done on 1313, might find renewed life as inspiration for other works in different mediums. 

This doesn’t mean that Star Wars: 1313 is going to be resurrected as it was originally envisioned. But for those interested in stories set in the Star Wars universe, all might not lost for those abandoned tales.

[Source: Slashfilm]

 

Our Take
With EA handling the larger video games set in the Star Wars universe and the lack of detail so far around Amy Hennig’s project, it’s impossible to understand how this canceled project might fit into the video game branch of the universe (and if there would be overlap). Still, for fans of what 1313 represents (Coruscant’s infamous underworld level), there are exciting possibilities for stories to be told.