Paranormal Activity VR Demo Heading To Select Theaters
A virtual reality game based on the Paranormal Activity movies is coming to theaters as a free HTC Vive demo. Paramount Pictures, HTC, Valve, Epic Games, and Nvidia will sponsor the demo at select AMC Theatres locations from October 22-24.
Moviegoers will be able to play the first-person survival horror title just as the latest film in the franchise, Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension opens October 22. The demo will debut at the theaters listed below.
- AMC Loews White Marsh 16 – Baltimore, MD
- AMC Neshaminy 24 – Bensalem, PA
- AMC Loews Boston Common 19 – Boston, MA
- AMC Century City 15 – Century City, CA
- AMC Bay Street 16 – Emeryville, CA
- AMC Town Square 18 – Las Vegas, NV
- AMC Loews Alderwood Mall 16 – Lynnwood, WA
- AMC Tysons Corner 16 – McLean, VA
- AMC Mesquite 30 with Dine-In Theatres – Mesquite, TX
- AMC Empire 25 – New York, NY
- AMC Orange 30 – Orange, CA
- AMC Mission Valley 20 – San Diego, CA
- AMC Metreon 16 – San Francisco, CA
- AMC Mercado 20 – Santa Clara, CA
- AMC Universal CityWalk 19 – Universal City, CA
Coming out in 2016, the virtual reality Paranormal Activity game will run on the HTC Vive, PlayStation VR, and Oculus Rift head-mounted displays. Developer Beast Media Group also plans to release non-VR versions on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.
Virtual reality goes hand-in-hand with immersion, making it a popular technology for horror game developers to experiment with. Seeing the hit Paranormal Activity movie series branch into video games with a first-person survival horror title demonstrates just how popular the Amnesia: The Dark Descent-inspired genre has become in recent years.