News

Konami Confirms That Mobile Will Be Its Primary Focus Moving Forward

by Mike Futter on May 14, 2015 at 04:16 AM

There has been mounting evidence that Konami is shifting its priority away from console gaming. As we reported earlier this week, the company’s revenues from console titles has dropped 30 percent over the past three years. Now, a direct statement indicates where the company’s new priorities lay.

Speaking to Nikkei, Konami Digital Entertainment president Hideki Hayakawa says that mobile is the company’s future. “From now on, mobile is at the center,” Hayakawa told Nikkei (roughly translated via Google). 

He also indicates that key franchises, like Metal Gear Solid, may also be pushed into the mobile space. The company is exploring ways to expand its presence in that sector in Japan and overseas.

Earlier in the week, we reported that Konami’s upcoming release schedule only includes one global release (Metal Gear Solid V). Though, with Pro Evolution Soccer not yet announced for this year, it wouldn’t appear on the document in question. At the same time in 2012, Konami had six titles slated for global or Western release on consoles and handhelds.

[Source: Nikkei (Translated via Google) via MCV]

 

Our Take
With the cancelation of Silent Hills and the news that Snake (now voiced by Kiefer Sutherland) is going to be a quieter protagonist than in past entries, it seems like Konami is becoming more cost conscious in the console space. The company doesn’t have much in the pipeline, and with Hideo Kojima planning to step away from the Metal Gear series, this might be a natural pivot point for the publisher.