News

Deep Down Still In Development, Has Undergone Some Changes, Says Capcom’s Ono

by Mike Futter on Feb 19, 2015 at 03:45 AM

Capcom first teased its PlayStation 4 title, Deep Down, way back on February 20, 2013. If that date sounds familiar, it’s because it was when the PlayStation 4 was formally announced by Sony in New York City.

Since then, we’ve learned the game is free-to-play and set in New York City. It has a strange time-travel vibe, with elements taking place in the future, while combat appears to occur in a gothic setting.

Unfortunately, it’s going to be a while before we get our hands on it. Speaking with Japanese outlet 4Gamer, Ono says the title has undergone some revisions. In a translation from Siliconera, Ono says that parts of the game weren’t good enough.

When it re-emerges, the concepts will be larger and what we see might look entirely different. The team is giving it more time, so that when the title launches, players will want to stick around.

We had a chance to play the game at TGS 2013. If you’re curious about what Deep Down was before it went quiet, you can read our impressions.

[Source: 4Gamer via Siliconera]

 

Our Take
Deep Down needs to be a big win for Capcom, and the company is smart to take its time. Given that it’s free-to-play, the cost will be recovered over time as players stay hooked and buy in. If the game isn’t great, players won’t stick around and the R&D cost will end up being a gaping hole in the financials.