Blizzard Reveals Warcraft Movie Cast
Today at Blizzcon panel, Legendary Pictures and Blizzard finally took the wraps off the full cast for the 2016 film adaptation of Warcraft.
Headlining the cast is Travis Fimmel, best known for his bad*ss role as the legendary Viking leader Ragnar Lothbrok on the History Channel's Vikings. In Warcraft, Fimmel plays the role of the lead Alliance hero Anduin Lothar. Director Duncan Jones (Moon) describes the film as "Avatar and Lord of the Rings at the same time."
Here is the rest of the cast:
- Anduin Lothar (Travis Fimmel): The lead protagonist for the Alliance, Lothar is a war hero who has sacrificed everything to keep the people of Azeroth safe.
- King Llane Wrynn (Dominic Cooper): King Llane is the leader of the Alliance city of Stormwind and a beacon of hope to its people in a time of darkness.
- Medivh (Ben Foster): Known as ‘the Guardian,’ Medivh is a mysterious and reclusive protector who wields formidable power.
- Khadgar (Ben Schnetzer): Khadgar is a gifted young mage, embarking on a daring search for the truth.
- Lady Taria (Ruth Negga): Taria is the royal Queen of Stormwind, King Llane’s great love and most trusted counsel.
- Garona (Paula Patton): Caught between the Alliance and the Horde, Garona is a strong-willed survivor who must decide where her true loyalty lies.
- Durotan (Toby Kebbel): The lead protagonist for the Horde, Durotan is the noble Chieftain of the Frostwolf Clan, battling to save his people and his family from extinction.
- Orgrim (Rob Kazinsky): Orgrim is Durotan’s right hand and a brave warrior destined to wield the Doomhammer: a weapon of orc legend.
- Blackhand (Clancy Brown): Known as ‘The Destroyer’, Blackhand is one of orc-kind’s most fearsome and titanic warchiefs.
- Gul’Dan (Daniel Wu): Gul’dan is a supreme orc ruler, fueled by a dark magic that even he cannot control.
Filming wrapped in 2013, and since then Jones has been working on the special effects at Star Wars studio Industrial Light & Magic. To get fans on board with the film, Legendary announced a campaign where they can declare their allegiance online to either the Horde or Alliance.
Travis Fimmel plays a great tip of the spear in Vikings, so we're excited what he can do in this role. Since the live action portion of this film was done in 2013 and we're still more than a year out, I worry about the CGI taking over the film. Jones displayed a deft touch as a director in Moon, so hopefully he's up to the task of blending the two seamlessly.