Defiance Getting First Substantial DLC Update With Free And Paid Options
Trion Worlds is getting ready to roll out the first major batch of added content for its open-world shooter, Defiance. The tentative offerings were announced today, giving players multiple options for expanding their experiences.
Included in Patch 1.020 will be new television tie-ins, which we haven't seen since the game's early days and prior to the premiere of the SyFy Channel show. This time, the connections will be in the form of a new "Siege" game type, though producer Nathan Richardson (whom we had the opportunity to interview a few weeks back) isn't quite ready to share details.
This year, Richardson and his team are planning five DLC packs, each of which will have a store update, a paid component, and something for free that will keep people playing together (something he stressed in our talk). According to his latest post, the first major content update will focus on the Castithan race, including the ability to play as one. If you don't want to start over, you'll be able to buy a change of name, appearance, or both from the store.
Other updates, like a complete overhaul to the salvage matrix, are also in the works. Richardson wisely addresses Defiance's continuing struggles amidst strong player reception and over one million user accounts. In his words, "We know we aren't perfect yet." It's clear that Trion Worlds is trying, though. You can see the likely list of updates for the Castithan DLC below, read the entire blog post here, and read our extensive impressions.
You get this when you buy the DLC for $10:
- Access to play the Castithan Species
- Access to a new Story Mission Line with new Battle Arena Game Mode
- Access to the new Castithan Battle Arenas
- Castithan Charge Blade & Ceremonial Mask as a reward from Story Mission Line
- A unique version of the Raptor, a new 4 player truck of doom
- A unique Castithan version of an outfit
- A Charge Weapons Starter Pack
- Access to New Pursuits
- New Xbox and PS3 Trophies and Achievements
You get this in the DLC for Free
- Access to the new Charge Weapons Class and Castithan Blades
- Access to Sieges, a new Open World Game Mode
- Access to the new Monolith Major Arkfall
- Access to a new PvP Map - Military Academy
- Join a friend into the Battle Arenas Game Mode
- Duel your friends and neighbors in the Duels Game Mode
- Enemies, lockboxes, and events can drop Charge Weapons
- Select a new voice for you character
- Multitude of game improvements from UI to content
You can buy these individually from the store:
- New Mods that tint the color of your Castithan Blade
- Lockboxes have a chance to get Charge Weapons
- More versions of the Raptor, the new 4 player truck of doomed compensation
- Character Customization changes: Appearance change, name change, or everything change
[Source: Defiance Blog]