Age of Wonders III Announced
Triumph Studios’ announcement of Age of Wonders III may be a triumph for fans of the strategy role-playing game series.
Age of Wonders III – the first iteration in the series since 2003 – will allows players to craft empires of their own design, and introduces RPG-inspired classes.
“In Age of Wonders III, we extrapolate RPG style classes to be the leaders of fantasy empires,” says Lennart Sas, development director at Triumph. “For example: as a Goblin Theocrat you can build your own holy empire, recruit little goblin crusaders or cute winged goblin angels equipped with flaming weapons, and wage war on your heathen enemies. We want players to be able to choose between lots of different play styles, without being restricted by fantasy clichés, like all goblins are evil."
A tentative release date of late 2013 has been set for the PC game.
Read below to see all of the key features, and to also watch the announcement trailer:
- Explore, expand, and exploit a living fantasy world. Discover wondrous locations and gather legendary heroes.
- Develop your domain, with many classes having the ability to change terrain and climates to suit your needs.
- All new 3D graphics that provide a crisper and more detailed overview of the world and battle maps.
- New styles of play are possible with the introduction of RPG style leader classes like warlord, theocrat, rogue, and sorcerer, along with a wide selection of specializations.
- Command a variety of races. Pick your starting race and shape your people’s destiny using your leader’s unique skills.
- A brand-new tactical battle system renders each battlefield and siege in great detail; new rules include flanking and a massive set of special unit abilities.
- An epic story campaign with two playable factions. Choose the mighty Commonwealth Empire or join the Court of the High Elves, founded after the reunion of the Dark Elves and Wood Elves.
- Compete online in extensive multiplayer modes and scenarios.
- High replay value through random maps, difficulty modes, and tools allowing user created content.