Madden, Borderlands 2 Top September Game Sales
U.S. retail video game sales declined 24 percent year-over-year in Sepetember 2012 from $1.11 billion to $848.3 million, according to NPD.
Video game hardware saw the biggest decline, over 39 percent from last September. 2K Games' popular co-op shooter sold 1.48 million units for the month, though it wasn't enough to stop Madden, which had the benefit of a full month of sales tracking. New Super Mario Bros. 2 sold more than 295,000 units in its second month.
“Borderlands 2, with its bazillion guns-a-blazing, exceeded the first month’s unit sales of the first game which launched in October 2009 by 234%," said NPD analyst Anita Frazier.
Xbox 360 was the highest-selling console for the month with 270,000 units sold. Sony and Nintendo did not release hardware sales numbers at this time.
September 2012 Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms incl. PC) Reporting period: 5-week month; 8/26/12 through 9/29/12
- Madden NFL 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV)
- Borderlands 2 (360, PS3, PC)**
- FIFA Soccer 13 (360, PS3, PSV, Wii, 3DS, PSP)
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
- Guild Wars 2 (PC)**
- NHL 13 (360, PS3)**
- World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria (PC)**
- NCAA Football 13 (360, PS3
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC)
- Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)**
**(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)