Gears Of War 3's Multiplayer Beta Kicks Off April 18
If you're one of the people who bought Bulletstorm as soon as it arrived in stores, you may have received a free upgrade to the Epic Addition. Aside from getting some cosmetic tweaks and a little multiplayer XP boost, that limited run granted players early access to Gears of War 3's multiplayer beta. Epic Games has now revealed when exactly that beta will be going live, and they've also announced that people who missed out on that game still have another way to get beta access.
First, the Bulletstorm preview will take place the week of April 18, running through the 24th. That early taste grants access to the game's team deathmatch mode in four new maps: Thrashball, Checkout, Trenches, and Old Town.
After that initial blast, the beta expands, adding two modes (capture the leader and king of the hill). The second wave runs from April 25 through May 15, and Epic promises special events, playlists, and plenty of unlockables that will follow players through to the retail release on September 20. Check out our recent coverage of the game's multiplayer to get an idea of what's ahead. Spoiler: Dudes shoot at other dudes.
To enter the second multiplayer beta, you'll have to preorder Gears of War 3 from a GameStop store or through the retailer's web site. Tokens will be e-mailed to players in the weeks leading up to the beta.
Here's a look at the unlockables, straight from Microsoft:
• Beta Tester Medal – Complete one match in the beta to unlock the Beta Tester medal, which will carry over to your gamer profile in the final game. The Beta Tester title will be featured in the “Gears 3” multiplayer lobby as well.
• Thrashball Cole – Complete 50 matches in any game type to unlock the Thrashball Cole character variant in the beta. Once unlocked, complete 10 matches as Thrashball Cole during the beta and the character will carry over to your gamer profile in the final game.
• Gold-Plated Retro Lancer – Show your ultimate “Gears of War” fandom by unlocking the Gold-Plated Retro Lancer. Complete 90 matches in any game type to unlock it for the beta, and score 100 kills with it once unlocked to carry the exclusive weapon skin over to your gamer profile in the final game.
• Flaming Hammerburst – Complete one match by Sunday, April 24 and unlock this weapon variant.
• Flaming Lancer – Complete one match during the week of April 25 and unlock this weapon variant.
• Flaming Sawed-Off Shotgun – Complete one match during the week of May 2 to unlock this weapon variant.
• Flaming Gnasher Shotgun – Complete one match during the week of May 9 to unlock this weapon variant.
GameStop is the parent company of Game Informer.