Week In Review: 06/25
I'm not going to lie, the week after E3 usually stinks for gamers: We at GI are swamped putting together the next massive issue of the magazine, and the rest of the industry has already revealed whatever interesting info they're going to have for the next couple of months. So let's just roll this week in with last week's shenanigans and call it a day, shall we? It's time for a special E3 edition of Week In Review, with so many previews of games you're probably going to vomit!
We rolled out so much exclusive content during E3, we can't possibly cram it all into the regular WIR format. Instead, here are the important places to go to find the information you're looking for:
Game Informer's Best of E3 Awards:
We were lucky enough to play just about every game that was being shown at E3 (and even a couple that were only available behind closed doors), so we feel pretty confident when we say that the games in this feature are truly the best of the best. But that doesn't mean you can't gripe to your heart's content in the comments section!
The Game Informer Show In HD:
Because this E3 was the first since the redesign of the website, we had a lot of first experiences last week. None of them were cooler than doing a live video version of The Game Informer Show every night from the show. We now have recordings of each show up in case you missed them: Episode 1 covers Assassin's Creed multiplayer, Twisted Metal, and Gears of War 3; Episode 2 covers Dead Space 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, and Kinect; and Episode 3 covers Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Portal 2, and Bulletstorm. There were a whole lot of other great titles discussed in those shows too, so watch them now!
This is our hub for Microsoft, where you can check out all of our Microsoft-related coverage from E3. If you have an Xbox 360, browse this section to find out what will make your friends who don't own a 360 jealous. If you're looking for Kinect-specific stories, check out our Kinect hub.
A lot of people are saying Nintendo stole the show. How? By taking the focus off of motion controllers and placing it on a solid lineup of first party titles, and the very cool 3DS. Here's where you'll find all of our Nintendo news from the show. If you just want the scoop on Nintendo's new handheld, check out our 3DS hub.
I'm not sold on the Move, and I don't have a lot of interest in buying a 3D television, but Sony has a great lineup of exclusive games coming to the PS3. You can read about them all here, or check out our Move hub for more on Sony's foray into motion controllers.
Don't Forget About Infamous 2!
With all of the E3 festivities going on you may have forgotten that last issue's cover story was all about Infamous 2. As such, we've been rolling out a ton of exclusive Infamous 2 features, which didn't stop just because of some little expo in L.A. So be sure to check out our latest features: a time lapse sketch of Cole's new look courtesy of Infamous 2 artist Mike Haney; an in-depth look at the decisions behind the character redesign; a first look at Infamous 2's new city, New Marais; the evolution of Infamous 2's bad guys; revealing info on Cole's new abilities; and a video interview with the guys at Sucker Punch discussing what makes the sequel cool. If that's not enough, we've got more Infamous 2 features on the way!
This is the place where I'd normally list the top news stories from the week. The problem? We ran over 250 stories during E3, which you can browse through at our main E3 hub. Instead of listing them all again, I'm going to point you to the really good stuff.
Here are our top 80 previews from E3, most of which contain hands-on impressions (as evident by how embarrassingly often the term "hands-on" shows up in the titles):
- Halo: Reach Campaign Unveiled
- Your Shape Fitness Evolved First Impressions
- Dead Space 2 In Action
- Brink Delivers Multiplayer For Soloists And Online Gamers
- First Look At De Blob: The Underground
- Red Faction: Armageddon: The Evolution Of Destruction
- Spec Ops: The Line Shaking Up The Formula For Military Shooters
- Hands-on With inXile's Hunted
- Nintendo Assuages Our Fears, Metroid: Other M Hands On
- GoldenEye's Multiplayer Is As Fun As It Ever Was
- Hands-On Impressions Of Zelda: Skyward Sword
- PilotWings Resort Offers Fresh Take On 3D Gaming
- Kid Icarus: Uprising Impressions
- First Hands-On With Donkey Kong Country Returns
- Mario Sports Mix Hands-On Impressions
- NHL 2K11 First Impressions
- Kirby's Epic Yarn First Hands-On
- NBA 2K11 First Impressions
- First Impressions: Heavy Rain for Move
- Hands-On With God of War: Ghost of Sparta
- Hands-On With The Shoot For PS3 Move
- We Get Our Feet Wet In Hydrophobia
- First Look: Sports Champions With PS3's Move
- Killzone 3 Hands-On In 3D
- LittleBigPlanet 2 First Hands-On
- Halo: Reach Firefight Mode Premieres
- Castlevania: Harmony Of Despair Hands-On Impressions
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution May Actually Be A Revolution
- True Crime Takes Aim At Grand Theft Auto
- Guitar Hero: Warriors Of Rock Hands-On
- Rage Preview: Meet The Waste Of The Wasteland
- GoldenEye 007 Single-Player Impressions
- Sonic Colors Wii Preview
- Valkyria Chronicles II: Hands-On Impressions
- Hands-On With Platinum's Vanquish
- Hands-On With The Conduit 2
- Marvel vs Capcom 3 First Hands On Impressions
- Bulletstorm: Encouraging Your Sadistic Side In 2011
- DJ Hero 2 Mixes It Up
- Fable 3 Demo At E3 With Peter Molyneux
- Hands-On With Mortal Kombat
- Gears of War 3 Unleashes Beast Mode
- Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Innovates Through Multiplayer
- Might & Magic Clash Of Heroes Is One To Watch
- The Destructive Drama Of Crysis 2
- Lord Of The Rings And Gritty Hack-And-Slash Team Up
- Hands-On With Dead Rising 2's Campaign
- Hands On With The Next Handheld Final Fantasy
- Kinectimals Is As Cute As Its Name Is Terrible
- Like Jumping And Ducking? Kinect Adventures Will Blow Your Mind
- We Take Microsoft's Joy Ride For A Spin
- Kinect Sports Walks A Well-Worn Path Pretty Well
- Hands-On With F.E.A.R. 3
- Hands-On With The Lord Of The Rings: Aragorn's Quest
- Hands-On With Guilty Party at E3
- Hands-On With Medal of Honor Multiplayer
- The World of Test Drive Unlimited 2
- Hands-On With Ubisoft's Answer to Wii Sports: Motion Sports for Kinect
- Hands-On With Blade Kitten
- Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow Feels Like God Of War Lite
- Driver: San Francisco - So Crazy It Just Might Work
- Bodycount: Shooting The S--- Out Of Stuff!
- Navigating Enslaved's Lush World, First Hands-On
- The Agency Is Much Improved This Year
- DC Universe Online's E3 Hands-On Leaves Much Unanswered
- LEGO Star Wars III The Clone Wars Is As Goofy As Expected
- WWE All Stars Looks To Be The NBA Jam Of Wrestling Titles
- The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Is Proud To Be Hardcore
- First Look At Trinity: Souls Of Zill O'll
- What's New In Dead Space 2
- End Of Nations Might Pull Off MMORTS
- Vindictus E3 Hands-On Brings Good News
- The Force Unleashed II: What's Improving?
- Batman: Brave And The Bold Has Enough Heroes And Humor To Impress
- Rock Band 3 Now With Real Guitars
- 2K Changes The Game With Civilization V
- Epic Mickey Keeps Looking Better And Better
- Mafia II E3 Hands-On Impressions
- A Look At New Gameplay Features In XCOM
- Pirates Offers More Than Expected
And that catches us up to the present day. Be sure to check out the latest Replay featuring Devil May Cry, and check out what the GI staff and the community are up to in this week's editions of Weekend Warrior and Blog Herding. See you next week, when it's back to business as usual!