What You Didn't Know About Prototype
Game development often lasts for years. And in that stretch of time, studios have their fair share of ups and downs. From humorous game bugs to stress-relieving antics, Game Informer peers behind the curtain of game development. In this entry of Tidbits, developer Radical Entertainment shares secrets behind the development of Prototype.
- Of the four people on the team with PhDs, three of them are named Dave
- Most common name on the development team – Chris
- The voice of the Supreme Hunter is “Tag,” a Sea Lion from the Vancouver Aquarium.
- The sound clips for the Brawler Hunters came from recording real-life tigers at the Vision Quest Ranch in Salinas, California.
- Most of the rubble and impact sounds from Prototype were recorded in the sound director’s backyard with buckets of rocks and brick.
- Barry Pepper, the actor who voices Alex Mercer, and the sound director went to the same high school in Courtenay, British Columbia in the late '80s.
- There are 17,647 lines of dialogue in the game.
- Over 20 hours of ambient sound were recorded in New York City over the course of 10 days, and used as source material for the game’s ambience.
- Most of the infected sound clips were the voice of the lead sound designer, Cory Hawthorne.
- The sound clip used for the air conditioner unit destruction was from a hand dryer recorded in a bathroom on Cypress Mountain.
- John Kurlander, who worked on the percussion recording session for Prototype, worked on the Beatles’ White Album.
- Bottles of beer consumed during Prototype development – 4,128
- Number of developers working during crunch time – 104
- Number of iterations of Alex’s look – three major overhauls but over 30 minor tweaks of details, hair, clothing, proportions, hood up or down
- Radical babies born during development – 25
- Sick days taken during development – 744
- 44 percent of the team has worked together for over five years
- Youngest team member – 20
- Oldest team member – 52
For other Tidbits entries, click the desired game name: Fallout 3, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Ghostbusters, Star Wars The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes, Overlord II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Scribblenauts