The lights are on
Mass Effect players who picks the starting version of the game's Commander Shepard character are a rare breed, according to BioWare. The studio says that a mere 13 percent of players pick the default version of the male avatar. The remaining 87 percent tweak the character's appearance, class, or gender, before heading out for the stars.
That bit of information comes from an interview with BioWare's marketing director, David Silverman. Speaking to VG24/7, Silverman discusses the allure of female Shepard in particular, who he says 18 percent of players choose in one form or another. So far, the company hasn't shown off the female version in any of the promotional materials leading up to Mass Effect 3. BioWare says that will be changing soon, with an appearance in an upcoming trailer as well as on the box of the collector's edition of the game.
Silverman says he's been surprised by the amount of interest that Shepard's female version has generated, but that it's something that the team has embraced. “There aren’t enough female heroes in games in general, so it’s something that people can rally around and celebrate," he says, adding "Jennifer Hale does an absolutely incredible job doing the voice of FemShep, so people really connect with that.”
I've played through Mass Effect twice, as both male and female versions of Shepard, before deciding to continue the series as female Shepard. I just felt that Hale's voice acting was far better than Mark Meer's, as good as his work might have been. Did any of you have a similar experience?
Email the author Jeff Cork, or follow on Twitter, Google+, Facebook, and Game Informer.
I haven't played Mass Effect, but considering Bioware always has romances, I end up playing through as both.
i wonder tihs 18% is this data supppose to represent people chooing Shepard at the very beginning or that they were just mucking around once they completed the game and choose a female side of it :P
I really want the character code for this Emma Stone-Shepard!
i go with the default male
im all for customization and all, but i cant seem to get anything that looks good D:
I intend to play through 1 and 2 with FemShep this summer & if I have time bad male shep as well
I played both, but I actually prefer the male version.
Hale does an excellent job with giving the female Shepard a strong voice, and I haven't gone far with a fem Shep (still in ME1). But I'll give her a chance to continue on.
Well I'm one of the 13 percent default male Shepards... I always liked the look of the default and figured I could never create a custom one that I would play a whole game with... Played femshep once in me1, didn't care for it... but to each their own
Yeah I like both but I feel FemSheps voice is just slightly better, but I made 2 of each gender shepards anyway.
who cares who's better, the game kicks ass no matter what
Me, I'm funny when it comes to it. Basically it doesn't matter to me which Shepard is better as both seem great. But when I create a Shepard, it's because he-or-she is meant to represent one of my own original characters. So as long as each voice actor performs their job well, I won't have any complaints playing as either over and over again.
Well they can count me as playing a female character.
i have always used a male voice but never the default looks. personally in any game i can make a character i try to model it after myself, and im a guy. it really has nothing to do with the voice acting for me.
I actually made a female Shepard first and she continues to be my main one. The only reason I ever actually made a male Shepard was so I could romance Tali in ME2.