Top 43 Video Game Redheads
I don't know why I was assigned this feature. My hair is brown. At least that's what I keep telling myself. We used a lot of science to come up with this list. Some may say we just shouted the names of video game characters with red hair, and I wrote them down without changing the order. That is absolutely not the case. Here is the definitive list:
1. Nariko from Heavenly Sword – Nariko wins mostly because she has the most red hair.
2. Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark – Red hair is one of Dark’s most defining features.
3. Master Chief from Halo – Definitely the toughest redhead on this list.
4. Elaine Marley from Monkey Island – Elaine is probably the smartest character in the Monkey Island universe, and she has red hair. Coincidence?
5. ‘Splosion Man – It might not be hair, but it’s red, and it’s on top of his head.
6. Trip from Enslaved: Odyssey to the West – Ninja Theory likes its redheads. After Nariko in Heavenly Sword, they had to follow up with another.
7. Kratos from God of War – His beard may be black, but when he did have hair, it had to be red. Prove me wrong.
8. The Moon from Majora’s Mask – You never see the back of the moon’s head, but there is a tiny little red ponytail back there. Just trust me on this.
9. Knuckles from Sonic The Hedgehog – I don’t think Knuckles has ever had his hair fully rendered. It’s usually just sort of smooth and plastic-like, but it is hair and it is red.
10. Commander Shepard from Mass Effect 3 – The official female Shepard has red hair, but she was almost a blonde, which would have been disastrous.
11. Lilith from Borderlands – Lillith has red hair. I am not sure if I need to add anything else.
12. Ganondorf from Zelda – Red hair equals evil in the Zelda Universe. It’s a fact.
13. Groose from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword – Groose is a good guy, and he has red hair.
14. Sweet Tooth from Twisted Metal – Fire is red, so it definitely counts.
15. Vanille from Final Fantasy XIII – Red hair.
16. Tim from Braid – Tim has red hair, and he’s smart enough to wear a matching tie.
17. Rayne from Bloodrayne – Rayne from Bloodrayne’s hair is blood red.
18. Crono from Chrono Trigger – Red hair and time travel go together perfectly.
19. Meryl Silverburgh from Metal Gear Solid – Meryl may try to steal clothes from soldiers and mask her face and hair, but no one can fool Solid Snake. He knows you're a woman, and a redhead.
20. Blanka from Street Fighter – Red, orange – same thing.
21. Daxter from Jak and Daxter – See Blanka's entry above.
22. Roy from Super Smash Bros. Melee - Supposedly he appears in another game, but that can't be right. I'm pretty sure he was created for Super Smash Bros. Melee.
23. Nathan "Rad" Spencer from Bionic Commando – Red hair and a robotic arm. It's the perfect combination.
24. Dr. Robotnik from Sonic The Hedgehog – He’s bald, but his mustache reveals what his hair used to be, and it’s definitely red.
25. Jimmy from Bully – There isn’t a lot there, but what exists looks pretty darn red.
26. Reno from Final Fantasy VII – He doesn’t look like a natural red head, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve a spot on this list.
27. Bowser from Super Mario – It may be a tiny tuft of hair, but it’s a red tuft of hair.
28. Claire Redfield from Resident Evil – Even zombie fighters need red hair sometimes. And yes I am fully aware that basically makes no sense.
29. Wander from Shadow of the Colossus – Through the course of the game Wander became less and less redheaded as darkness took him over, but he can’t hide from his lineage. He’s still a redhead.
30. Kazooie from Banjo-Kazooie – Feathers still count. Stop trying to contradict me.
31. The red bird from Angry Birds – You know, the red one.
32. Simon Belmont from Castlevania – None of the other Belmonts seem to have red hair, but I wouldn’t look into it too much. I’d hate for Simon to learn something he couldn’t unlearn.
33. Skye from Darkened Skye – You haven’t heard of this GameCube masterpiece that featured Skittles as a trademarked collectibles? It had a redhead in it.
34. Mog the moogle from Final Fantasy – It’s not so much hair as it is a reddish thing floating above its head, but I am pretty sure that counts.
35. Wakka from Final Fantasy X – It’s kind of orange, but that’s fine. If we accept Blanka, we can accept Wakka.
36. Misty from Pokemon Red – The original Game Boy may not have had colors, but we all knew what was going on. We didn’t even need to see the animated show.
37. That character I made in Dragon's Dogma that sort of looks like me from Dragon's Dogma – Personally, I don't think he looks anything like me. He's not even wearing glasses.
38. Cool Spot – Cool Spot doesn’t have hair, but his head (which also comprises his body) is red.
39. Super Meat Boy – See whatever I said about Cool Spot above and apply the same logic, but make the music more awesome.
40. Lammy from UmJammer Lammy – The developers may not have been entirely committed to the game's title (hence the "um" at the beginning), but they knew Lammy needed red hair.
41. Lance Galahad from Brain Dead 13 – Possibly the greatest name in video game history has red hair.
42. Malice - She's got a hammer and red hair.
43. Angus MacGreggor from Kasumi Ninja – I’ve never played this game, so I know nothing about it, but it looks pretty amazing, and Angus has red hair.