The lights are on
Color me surprised. Did anyone really think a Star Trek tie-in would work, let alone be fun? I sure didn't, but here we are. Instead of a long review, I'm just going to simplify this with a list of pro's and con's.
Pro's - It works
- The inside of the Enterprise looks fantastic
- The characters from the movie do a superb job voicing the game. None of them phone it in
- The game rewards exploration
- It's a meaty game, 10 hours or more to complete it
- The music is fantastic, as is the overall sound design
- The story is well told and action packed
- The combat is surprisingly solid
- The enemy A.I. is surprisingly solid. They flank, get into cover, and try to outsmart you with unpredictable movements. You can never tell what they're going to do next
- You get to control the Enterprise...Control...The...Enterprise...!
Cons - When not inside the Enterprise, the game's visuals take a nosedive
- Glitchy animations can take you out of the experience, and platforming feels severely unpolished
- The weapons don't feel very powerful, and even your Phaser leveled up overheats way too quickly
- The game is meaty, which is a good thing, but they re-use a ton of assets and the pacing is off. It's a long ride, and one that can be very tedious
- The A.I. for Spock is busted. He gets stuck on everything, and rarely healed me when I needed to be saved, which is odd since the enemy A.I. is so good
- The hacking mini-games are duds, and are re-used way too often
- You die at the drop of a hat, and health doesn't regenerate
- Whenever control is taken away from you for whatever reason, it switched your weapons so you are no longer holding the weapon you had just a few seconds ago. This can be catastrophic, especially if you are going for "Commendations" which require you to only stun fellow , poisoned crew mates, but instead they switch weapons on you and you accidentally blow one away
It's a solid experience through and through. It's got its problems, but most of them aren't enough to take away from the solid game underneath. They do a great job with immersion, and making you feel like you really are on an adventure with Kirk and Spock. Worth the money.
This has pretty much been my experience with it as well. All in all a solid game. I've certainly played worse that GI gave better reviews to.
This is a great review. I just bought this game and can't wait to play it I love the Star Trek series
A pretty solid review. I agree the game isn't as bad as gi makes it out to be. Its actually pretty fun.