The lights are on
Tanks. Yes, the annoying hunks of metal rolling around Battlefield 3. We love them, and hate them. I will attempt to show you how to hate them less, and love them more.
Using a Tank Effectively
• Getting around.
1. While driving to your objective, keep an eye out for small black discs on the ground; those are Anti- Tank mines, don't let them do their job of killing you.
2. Don't abuse sprint. While driving long, stretches, on a straight road, that would be a good time to boost, not on a narrow, curvy mountain road.
• Fighting Other Tanks
1. It seems that most people can't fire, and move at the same time, and if you can, take advantage of the fact that many people can't. Drive in circles around them, pop in and out of cover, etc.
2. Aim for the sides, and backs of enemy tanks, while simultaneously defending your flanks. With that said, flanking is a good strategy against tanks for reasons just stated.
• Fighting Infantry
1. Support, and Engineer are the only classes that can harm your tank in any way.
2. Use the LMG or HMG weapon to take infantry down, use your main gun to clear cover, kill many infantry at a time, shoot around corners, or at long ranges.
Killing a Tank on Foot
There isn't much I can say about this, but correct mistakes I see many people do.
• Firing from the same position twice is a bad idea, the tank will kill you by the second shot. As you fire a rocket from one position, while reloading, sprint to a new area, fire, and repeat.
• Aim for the flanks ;)
Well, heres a way to take down a tank pretty easily, so long as you have a squad who willing to use teamwork. If you are pinned, get someone to distract the tank. While he is distracted, sneak around with C4 on the Support class and plant them. Then run pretty far unless you are willing to accept a suicide. The explosion radius is fairly large. Depending on the tank it may require 1 to 3 pieces of C4. Blow it up then look for the next one. ;)
If you were a tank dummy before, now you shouldn't, unless you're a Tank Idiot. Good hunting.