www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening

Did Game Informer low ball Ni No Kuni?

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 14 Replies |
  • 6 Followers
  • As of right now, out of 22 reviews, Game Informer has given not only the lowest review of Ni No Kuni, but also, it's only negative review. Of Course, this is subject to change, but I thought it interesting, given that GI is normally one of the milder reviewers out there.

What do you guys think, GI got no taste, or, are they the only ones seeing through the BS?

Discuss!

KAMINA-01-1.jpg Kamina image by lokwokcheung Suda51 Group

• I think this thread will be more effective in a few days when the game actually releases and we have a chance to see if the game is great or average.

• By the way, I'm still super pumped for this game, average review or not.

• GI in general has tended to lowball JRPGS this gen, I really do not at all even attempt to use their reviews anymore when it comes to them because you know going in its not going to match what actual JRPG fans think of the game. NNK is easily the best JRPG game this gen, yet of course GI will never state that, too busy giving sub-par crap like FF13-2 good scores instead.

• I'm currently in the midst of playing it and I get the review. It's in no way a bad game, but not really anything that pushes it into fantastic. But I also think that JRPGs have taken a step down these last few years in general. I can't think of any that I'd put up there with my favorite games

• since when is a 7 out of 10 a negative review?  To me a 7 was always a good game with a few flaws.  The review is only 1 persons point of view on the game it is not representative of the magazine as a whole.

We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

Steam - palor700   XBL - LooneyPilot   paxgaming.com

• Personally, I tend to think games in the 8 scores last longer. 7 score games, I tend to get bored of rather quickly...

• Palor:

since when is a 7 out of 10 a negative review? To me a 7 was always a good game with a few flaws. The review is only 1 persons point of view on the game it is not representative of the magazine as a whole.

You're getting off topic. The point of this post was to discuss the review and the game. We're not talking about GI, or even Wallace, so there's no need to get defensive.

• But the topic is flawed. It would be like someone saying "I can't believe GI called Call of Duty a FPS when it's clearly an RPG" and then trying to tell people to stay on topic when they called them dumb.

• Romars:
    You're getting off topic. The point of this post was to discuss the review and the game. We're not talking about GI, or even Wallace, so there's no need to get defensive.

so the subject is did GI low ball the game, and you ask if GI got no taste.  Yet pointing out that a 7 out of 10 is not a bad score and that you should not judge the magazine as a whole based on 1 persons review is off topic.  Okay I guess I dont understand the topic.  I guess if you are just looking to complain about the score I will retract my comments, I haven't played the game so I dont know if I agree with the review.

We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

Steam - palor700   XBL - LooneyPilot   paxgaming.com

• @Frib, @Palor,

Okay. Sorry for offending you, or annoying you, or whatever you are. I'm sorry. We good?

.... oy.

Anywho, I think I'm starting to lean in the reviewers favor.  I think, people just wanted a great jrpg, and started championing this game, whether it deserved it or not. Hope I'm wrong though.

I want to hear more player impressions.

• Holy *** ***, I'm loving this game. I've played about 20 hours and am ready to play well over 20 more.

• Gameinformer blew it with the Ni No Kuni review. Before playing the game for myself I was under the impression that bosses were too difficult, random battles were much more frequent than is common in most JRPGs and that I would lose 10% of my money if I died in a dungeon and chose to continue. None of these things is actually true. Bosses are medium to easy, random encounters are no more common than in any JRPGS that I've ever played, and if you die in one of the small dungeons and choose to continue you can either restart from your last save that was most likely no more than five to ten minutes ago or continue and lose 100% of your money. I wonder what game the reviewer was playing?

Another charge leveled in the review was that the story wasn't that of a Studio Ghibli film. I have said this before and I will say it again: if you want a story, read a book. In this case watch a Studio Ghibli movie. The story is just right for the game. I don't want too much, nor too little. It hits that mark perfectly.

The real feeling that I get when playing this game and thinking about the Game Informer review is that the reviewer has never played a JRPG before and was a poor choice to review what will be to many gamers the RPG of the year.

• I have yet to play the game but I can't wait to get my hands on it.  Despite the low score that Game Informer gave Ni No Nuni, I'm still eager to play it and I'm sure I will love it.

• How about you read some of the other articles Kimberly has written for the site before you start with nonsense like "the reviewer has never played a JRPG before". I'm just going to echo what others have already said, the review is the sole opinion of one person not the entire magazine.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)