www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening

Metal gear games for PC and MAC

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 11 Replies |
  • 2 Followers
  • If Metal gear is so great how come they cannot make it for other systems other than the playstation? Some PC computers have more processing power than a PS3. Heck Metal geaar was on one of the first computers ever. So why can't they remake the Metal Gear games for PC? I want to know all of your thoughts on this.

• Loyalty? the first MGS on ps1 brought the series into international prominence.

the second one was one of the first killer apps for the ps2, and unless i'm mistaken substance on the xbox was a fail (at least compared to the ps2 version of the game). also, i could be mistaken but i do believe konami only does console work

and whether they design it for the pc or not does not determine its greatness, in fact, by sticking to a platform and utilizing its specs to take advantage of its unique architecture may be part of what makes the series great.

then again, maybe konami/kojima just dont like pcs :)

Art

• @Justin

I still have my copy of Metal Gear Solid on PC and Substance on XBOX was less successful but hardly failed. It lack of success was due to the following on the PS2 and the extras on the PS2 version like skateboarding.

As for MGS solid bringing the series to international prominence, again I have to correct that. Metal Gear was an hit in Japan and Netherlands... before it was released to the US on the NES it was on a computer, the MSX2.

CAUTION: Shawn's blog increases the risk of intelligence.

• I just mean that the original metal gear game was for one of the first computers. So why they never even considered it. I am not saying that it should.

• Dylan:

If Metal gear is so great how come they cannot make it for other systems other than the playstation? Some PC computers have more processing power than a PS3. Heck Metal geaar was on one of the first computers ever. So why can't they remake the Metal Gear games for PC? I want to know all of your thoughts on this.

Part of why it's not ported to PC is that the capabilities of the PS3 surpass those of the 360 so things like certain lighting styles and so on won't protray the game the way the director may want the game to be seen. Come to think of it, I recall playing MGS1 on the PC and the graphics being somewhat of a let down and the controls were awkward since the interface was originally developed for the PS controller. A computer screen generally has better resolution than a TV screen so while a monitor and TV may have the same resolution now, pixel size and shape could really alter how it looks. PC's change and PC gaming is in a decline so it may be a sink hole for the series. Aside from that, I'd much rather play MGS4 on a 61" screen over a 24" screen. A console also opens up the ability to control the game in terms of piracy. Very few games if any escape piracy when they're as popular and anticipated globally.

• Dylan:

I just mean that the original metal gear game was for one of the first computers. So why they never even considered it. I am not saying that it should.

Right, but the MSx2 computer was a blazing 3.8... megahertz... computer games have a shorter lifespan than console games I believe. I'll play a game on the PC and be done with it... and it sits there... a console game I'll play again and again.For all we know the rest of the series was considered to beplaced on PC, but the consoles as they came out we behind PCs - which would mean that to make it for PC they'd have to redisgn a lot of aspects of the game between PC and console. Another example of this is Halo on PC and XB... the XB version was just better because it was designed for the XB interface and interlaced TV screens.

• Metal Gear, MG2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, and MGS2: Sons of Liberty have all appeared on PC platforms, so with the exclusion of Portable Ops, only MGS3: Snake Eater and MGS4: Guns of the Patriots have yet to appear on PC. Snake Eater had a heavier emphasis on the pressure based controller of the Playstation 2 than Sons of Liberty did, and I suspect that might have had a role in the decision not to port it. Similar situation with Guns of the Patriots. Both of these games would be nigh impossible to play without a controller with pressure sensitive buttons, and since not all PC gamers have such a controller... there could be issues.

Shawn:

Part of why it's not ported to PC is that the capabilities of the PS3 surpass those of the 360 so things like certain lighting styles and so on won't protray the game the way the director may want the game to be seen. 

....what?

If I'm understanding, you're saying that MGS4 can't be ported to PC because the PS3's capabilities are greater than those of the Xbox 360? I'm sorry, I may be missing something, but there seems to be a disconnect there.

• You're sort of missing something. I'm not saying it cant be ported to PC because of anything to do with 360. I mistyped a thought there so thats where the error occured - sorry.

I'm saying that the interface design is ideal for a console. Porting it to PC would ruin the experience unless they did a complete overhaul of teh interface. Look at Last Remnant - the interface, even though its on PC, is still better than that of a PC. Another topical example is MGS - the interface was designed to work best on PS1, and while it was ported to PC, the experience was very different.

On the other hand the PS3 may be considered a computer by developers but its purpose is very much singular - to play games (and watching movies is a secondary function). The average PC wouldn't be able to handle MGS4 as its presented because it would require so much dedication. On a PC there are a lot of things running in the background that arent running on a PS3.

• I'm onboard with what you're saying, up until the very end. I understand that in terms of interface and game design, MGS4 is pretty well destined to be a better experience on a console... however, to say that the "average PC" can't handle the game because of it's background processes?

Have you SEEN the how well the "average PC" handles things these days?

• Yes. I custom build PCs for fun... I have a PC that sits WAY above average... but allow me to once again rephrase - the average PC out of the box can handle it, but have you seen the average user and the crap they have installed? It's the cause of so many issues. And to qualify - I was a computer tech for 11 years... I'm familiar with PEBCAK and the things users do to their systems unknowingly that grind it down to a halt.Most of thoe things - end up running inthe background because a majority of users don't know how to make sure they've delted it, or blinding click "ok" when installing certain things that subsequently run at start up - like steam and the EA download manager, punkbuster, gamespy... all of that stuff... and that doesn't touch the bloatware that comes on most storebought PCs (which are the 'average PCs)

• And yet, despite the large number of "problem users" that have no idea what they're doing, gaming still does pretty well on PCs. There's still a market for PC games, and they're doing some incredible things.

Just because a large percentage of users have no idea how to maintain their systems doesn't mean that the game cannot be run on a PC of today's standards. It's been over six years since I built the machine that I'm currently using... it's a piece of garbage, but I'm not going to to say that Fallout 3 is impossible for PC gamers to play just because my machine has become too outdated to come anywhere near it.

• vid Strickland:

Just because a large percentage of users have no idea how to maintain their systems doesn't mean that the game cannot be run on a PC of today's standards. It's been over six years since I built the machine that I'm currently using... it's a piece of garbage, but I'm not going to to say that Fallout 3 is impossible for PC gamers to play just because my machine has become too outdated to come anywhere near it.

No, but I didnt say that people who can't maintain their systems indicate the game wont run on todays PC. I said it wont run on THEIR PC. Will fallout 3 run on your PC even if it's 'clean' I'm going to guess that it probably wont and if it does not very well.

vid Strickland:

And yet, despite the large number of "problem users" that have no idea what they're doing, gaming still does pretty well on PCs. There's still a market for PC games, and they're doing some incredible things.

The market for PC games is dwindling. Years ago PC games would get ported to console... maybe. Halflife was a PC title that people begged to go to console. Today games like Fallout 3 went to PC first, but saw much more success on the console than on the PC. If the PC game market was great and doing well, then it would have done just as good if not better. So would GTA4, Oblivion, Gears of War, HAWX, and a number of other cross platform games irrespective of their initial release.

There are games like World in Conflict that remains exclusive to PC, but if you've played that game then you'd understand why it's exclusive to PC (interface). The graphics capabilities of a PC are better than that of XB360 or PS3, but then to stay in an area where a gamer can have the best card - they're looking at spending more than what it costs to get a console (sometimes two consoles) JUST for graphics. That of course isn't touching 'boxed' PCs like Sony Viao or a Dell... but even then if someone drops $800 - $1500 on a computer that has the main function for gaming then it would make more sense for them to buy and use a console because the developers of console games utilize console standards given that PC setup hardly have a standard in terms of the limit they can each do (i.e. my computer and your computer aren't going to perform the same as the conputer of someone reading this and you've got three setups capable of three different levels). It's not the job of developers to care if you or I maintain our systems... so it has nothing to do with it on a sales and distroubtion front. It has everything to do with it from the consumer end-user front.

When was the last time you read through game forums on the developer sites - the number of people who more or less have poorly configured hardware or so much bloated background crap running that it slows or crashes a game is... almost funny. They eventually figure it out, but you can't tell me that it doesn't effect the gaming experience overall.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)