www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening

Is SWOTOR Pay to Win?

Answered (Verified) This question is answered
Verified Answer
  • I wouldn't 100% wright off SWOTOR.  It is not the best F2P model by any sense of the imagination, but you can still have a good time with the game for free.  Especially if you are looking at the PVE line, following your characters story.  Between the 2 character slots in the free model you can likely get over 100 hours of gameplay if you are playing for the story/leveling experience.

Some smaller more competitive F2P games.  Definitely Team Fortress 2, Ghost Recon Online can also be fun for a few hours.  League of Legends if you are into that type of game has a greed F2P model.  My F2P game of choice is Planet Side 2.  Really there are so many F2P games out now its hard to recommend just from that.  You need something more to narrow it down.  

We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

Steam - palor700   XBL - LooneyPilot   paxgaming.com

Verified by
All Replies
  • F2P gets access to the story and not much else.   Most features are locked down or minimalized unless you get a sub or unlock them through the cartel market by buying coins.

-- Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!! RrraaaAAGHGHH!!!

• Very much what the other guy said.  It is not so much p2w as much as it is pay to access.  First i would say that TOR is built around the PVE experience focusing on each classes story.  There is some PVP but it is nothing crazy special.  So regardless of paying or not you are never really going to be winning at this type of game.

Paying or using coins comes into effect mostly at level cap.  If you dont pay you are extremely limited.  You can only run so many PVE instances, PVP battle grounds by default and will need to spend coins if you want to do more in a single week.  If I recall you are also limited in some of the gear you can wear (no epics).  All of this sounds bad and it really is a bad F2P model.  However if you are just looking to experience some of the story as you do some leveling the free version is actually very good.  Many people have played up to level cap for free and then subscribed when they got there and had very enjoyable experiences.  

We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

• Thanks, guys!

So I guess with its limitations, I'll be skipping it. While I can probably pay once in a while for items, his mom wouldn't want him to spend any money (his or mine) on a game.

Any suggestions for other F2P games that work?

Get your Portable ID!

• I've been playing the Neverwinter F2P MMO - it is decent - not great but an ok time waster

GW2 is ok If you don't mind the continual strafing that is required not to die - that is a good one if you have a couple of friends to play with.  LOTR online is a little dated but a nice F2P especially if you are into Tolkien

• I wouldn't 100% wright off SWOTOR.  It is not the best F2P model by any sense of the imagination, but you can still have a good time with the game for free.  Especially if you are looking at the PVE line, following your characters story.  Between the 2 character slots in the free model you can likely get over 100 hours of gameplay if you are playing for the story/leveling experience.

Some smaller more competitive F2P games.  Definitely Team Fortress 2, Ghost Recon Online can also be fun for a few hours.  League of Legends if you are into that type of game has a greed F2P model.  My F2P game of choice is Planet Side 2.  Really there are so many F2P games out now its hard to recommend just from that.  You need something more to narrow it down.  

Verified by
  • I have been playing almost from the beginning, and the free to play aspect has enough game-play to keep anyone going, I pay for my subscription but even with that I find that there is so much that the game offers beside the pay to play stuff. With the many different classes its almost endless.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)