www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening

** LOCKED ** WoW Sickness

Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)
All Replies
  • WoW runs on the same mechanics and reward system as gambling. When you level, you get a bright flashy light and people say "gratz." It makes you feel good, so you keep playing. Drops that you particularly want run on percentages, so for every run of the same instance there is a "chance" that the piece you want will drop-- you will continually run the instance. Etc. If you have an addictive personally, and most of us do (whether it be gambling, WoW, alcohol, chocolate, etc) then you're pretty much addicted = sick. It's also one of the ultimate forms of Escapism: your real life might be terrible, sucky, what-have-you...in your WoW "life," you are a "badass."

• Not Ranked
    • Female
    Suggested by
  • @ topic creator

Absolutely no value was added to my understanding of anything by reading your post. Good job.

---

"I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions!"

Currently Playing: Rock Band 2 (PS3), Mass Effect 2 (PC), Heavy Rain (PS3)

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • @ Kevin

Absolutely no value was added to my understanding of anything by reading your post. Good job.

On topic.  WoW is an addictive game, as Kyate so well described it.  If you really want to get into the psychological side of things, the fact that you posted this, Haloinator, tells me a little bit more about yourself than I think even you realize.

I play WoW because of a severe lack of something better to do.  MW2 is full of hackers, BC2 doesn't come out for another month or so, and I am currently letting my friend borrow my Xbox.  All that is left is WoW and my ridiculously OP hunter.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
    Suggested by
  • i stopped in march of 09, i just got bored, plus being the hardcore gamer i am, i had other games to play. i couldnt waste my time on wow, especially since it wasnt any fun anymore. i might go again for awhile in the future, but not for long if i do.

the kill doesn't count until they curse over the mic ; )

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • also, i play mw2 on the ps3 and there are ABSOLUTELY no hacked severs, just giving a suggestion. cant wait for BC2 also.

the kill doesn't count until they curse over the mic ; )

• Not Ranked
    • Male
    Suggested by
  • Kyate sums the gambling parallel well.  There are millions of different reasons why people still play WoW.  I wrote a blog about why I think it's so: gameinformer.com/.../why-world-of-warcraft-is-amazing-and-terrible-in-my-humble-opinion-of-course.aspx

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • I quit two years ago because I realized it was a huge money suck.  You hit max level and then spend forever farming for end game loot, which becomes trash in about a year and a half when they release the next expansion.

I am eying the new Star Trek MMO, though.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • Hey Haloinator 8,

Please post WoW questions and discussion on the official WoW thread already made. For the most part we stick to one thread per topic here on GIO, to keep things organized and avoid clutter. Please feel free to re-post in the original thread. In the future, please use the "find something" box at the top right of the screen to search for a thread already made about your topic before making a new one. Also, please check out Blade's Guide to the Forums for some helpful advice on posting here. Thanks : )

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Male
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)