www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

The official Computer Help thread

Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)
All Replies
  •  I'm having some trouble with my computer. After running for a little while I can't open anything except My Computer, Control Panel, and Recycle Bin. I usually don't get an error message, but the first time it happened I think it came up with one in reference to Windows Explorer. I've been googling the symptoms but so far I can't seem to find anything.

I've tried running my anti-malware software and it hasn't found anything (I have Spyware Doctor). I don't have something to remove viruses yet and I kind of suspect it's a virus. I'm not that great with computers though so any help anyone can give would be hugely appreciated. I'm using Windows XP Media Center edition.

Edit: Also, I've been getting alot of redirects while online. Particularly when I'm google searching. Sometimes new tabs in firefox will just open and start redirecting.

Edit 2: I just got a "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Error" and now the problems back, if that's of any help.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • @Ethan Fiset

Can't say for certain but that sounds viral in nature.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • I'm looking into getting a nice computer. I was actually looking atthe imac's. specificaly the 27in and 27in quadcore. And i tried searching all over the internet for how these machines fair playing games.  

I currently own a PS3, used to have a 360 but sold that and all those games to get a guitar amp which led me to the decision of getting a nice computer instead of another 360. I've done a fair amount of research on computers and have a good general knowledge of the terms usde in describing the technical aspects or performance of the machines.

So long story short one more time i want an imac 27in quadcore and wanna know if it wil be more than efficient at playing games like Mass Effect 2 and other 360 pc exclusives.?

any and all responses would be great thanks.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • Well, just to put it out in the open i hate macs and don't know a whole about them.  Anyway to your question, if you get an imac you need to make sure it has windows as a dual boot or boot camp what ever its called.  There are very few games that run on mac but they do exists i know blizzard has a couple.  As for the quad core, what is the ghz, but a quad core non the last is good as long as its above 2.0.  Also, you need to make sure your imac will have enough RAM, at least, at least 2 gigs but you will probably regret not going for the four.  Last but not least, your graphics card.  This is where i can't help you, I don't think macs are upgradable but then again i can be wrong.  I have always thought Macs were stuck with there video card but that never really made since.  Just make sure you have a minumum of 512MB on the graphics card, i would actually say a minimun should be 1G but 512 would get you by.(you would be happier with 1G though)

My PC

P45 Gigabyte mobo

Quad 9400 2.6GHz

8 Gigs DDR2 900(2nd highest speed)

GTX 285 1G

640G Black cavier

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • @ Nick

Good luck getting to play games. Macs are not known for gaming for a good reason. Most devs don't bother because of the limited hardware capabilities. I have a MacBook Pro and don't like it. My other laptop and desktop blow the MacBook Pro away. If you want a computer for games get a PC. If you want it for other things than you can go Mac.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • Hey, I was just wondering if this laptop is good for high settings on strategy games and is ok for games like WoW and Modern Warfare. Specs are Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 / 2.1 GHz processor, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM - 1066 MHz, 250 GB - Serial ATA-150 Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M Graphics Card, and a 15.6" TFT 1366 x 768 ( WXGA ) display. And also, is it a good deal for $625? It's refurbished.

Flynn:Such a little book, such big cylinders.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • @ Triforce Archer

That laptop can probably run strategy games on high. I know it won't be able to handle Modern Warfare on high. It should take WoW easily. The only real iffy part is the graphics card. I don't think it has the juice you would need. Its a low end performance card. You will be fine for most games on medium, but the higher settings may be unplayable.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • Well what about this laptop? Specs are:

■Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 Processor @ 2 x 2.2 GHz

■4GB DDR2 Memory

■320GB SATA Hard Drive

■BluRay Combo (Reads BluRay, Reads/Writes DVD and CD)

■Wireless-N Card (b/g/ N)

■GeForce 8200M G

■Build-In Webcam (1.3M)

■Build-In memory carder

■16″ High-Definition LCD Display (1366×768)

■Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, The newest version of Windows

Flynn:Such a little book, such big cylinders.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • When building a computer, do motherboards come with onboard wifi connectors, or is it a necccesary add on?

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • @Corey Bothwell

I haven't heard of one, but there might. Wifi/wireless is usually an add-on. Either by installing a PCI card on your mother board or using a USB port version.

• Not Ranked
    • Female
  • @ TriForce Archer

That one should be fine to handle what yu listed

@ Corey Bothwell

There are no desktop motherboards that come with Wifi. To get wifi you need to get an adapter. They come in USB, which I don't recommend, and as an PCI expansion card, go with this one. Also if you intend to play games you will want the wired connection over the wireless.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • I have a quick question... What is the AMD Athlon TF-20 1.6GHZ 64bit processor equivalent to when compared to Pentium processors?  More specifically, it is the kind of processor found in the Acer Aspire 5517 series laptop I bought for 350 dollars.  According to Gamestop, I need a processor equivalent to a Pentium IV 2.4GHZ to play Starcraft.  My Graphics Card is the ATI Radeon HD-3200 as well.

I know I am wishing for a miracle here, but is there any possibility my Acer will handle Starcraft II effectively?  I am hoping the fact that is an RTS game will make it happen.

Herp derp...

I used to be Kman5231, by the way...

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • My dad is threatening to take the game card out because is is accusing it of giving our computer blue screens. Can you help

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • WTF is a game card?

I'm assuming you mean the graphics card? Try updating your drivers, and if that doesn't help, take the graphics card out (if you can run on integrated graphics) and try it without it for a while. If it still crashes, it is not the graphics card's fault.

Also. What OS are you running? If you can get an error code, google it, and you'll be able to find out why it is crashing.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • @ Meyphrooz Zocton

You won't be able to play on the high settings but should still be able to play on medium without issue.

@ disobeyed toast

Try reseating the card, take it out and then put it back in making sure its secure. If you still get blue screens than try taking it out and see if there are any blue screens. If there still is its not the card. Also when do the blue screens happen?

• Not Ranked
    • Male
Page 5 of 6 (86 items) «23456