www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening

The official Computer Help thread

Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)
All Replies
  • Thanks for the quick reply. I came to the same conclusion myself, and had to boot Ubuntu from a disk to get at the files on the HD and make sure they were properly backed up...then I dumped XP for 7. System is better than ever now, but it took a serious chunk of work

---

"I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions!"

Currently Playing: Rock Band 2 (PS3), Mass Effect 2 (PC), Heavy Rain (PS3)

• I'm trying to play Kotor without my disc which I recently lost. I have all the files(CDs) downloaded in iso files but for some reason it still won't run. I think I need to crack it but I'm not really sure how to do that. The title screen loads up, I hit game, a picture of the ship shows up then nothing happens.

Also, I'm looking for some game recommendations for PC. Primarily PC only games since I would play it on xbox. Also, something that is a "games for windows" game so I know it will work or if you know otherwise, and that won't take too much of a toll on my graphics card (it's not that good). No Crysis.

Thanks

If you post it, they will troll.

• You can go to gameburnworld.com or gamecopyworld.com to try and find the exe that lets you play without the disk.

• I have some issues booting up my PC, it only happens when I have my PC shut off for about 4+ hours.  I'll go and turn it on and things will crash randomly, either Windows will crash during startup, or Windows loads perfectly and I'll load Firefox or other programs and they'll crash repeatedly, or my screen just instantly flashes to a screen with alternating gray vertical lines.  These random problems just plague my PC during startup, but after about 3-5 minutes of the PC being powered up, things will run smoothly, there's no video problems or crashing, and I can play all my games and run everything fine.  It really doesn't bother me that much since it's only a few minutes of frustration, but I just want to find the cause just in case this problem could escalate.  

My PC specs are...

-Asus P7P55D Intel P55 ATX LGA 1156 Mobo

-Intel Core i7 860 2.8ghz

-G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 Mhz (2x2GB)

-XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850

-Western Digital Blue 640 GB SATA HDD

-Corsair 750 Watt PSU

-Windows 7 x64

I did purchase RAM that wasn't on the motherboard support list, even though the manufacturer advertised the RAM works on all Intel P55 ATX mobo's and I wanted faster RAM.  I hit the MemOK button on my motherboard to auto-configure the RAM to make it compatible with my motherboard when I was building my PC and it brought the speed down to 1333 Mhz, I'm fine with it now, since I'd rather have it be more stable than fast, but could the RAM still be the issue?

Join the GI Xfire Clan and the GameInformer PC clan on Steam! 

• @Bloodjackal

Your issue could be RAM failing under load on startup although it is unlikely. The more likely issue is either too many or wrong programs starting at startup. If you go to run and type in msconfig. Go to the Startup tab. Anything you don't recognize in the list Google and see what it is and if it should start when the computer does. Anything that isn't necessary you can uncheck so it won't start. It should speed up the boot process as well.

Another thing to check are the Event Logs in Control Panel under Admin Tools. They will hold errors that have happened and system messages. IF you can't get anything from them you can post them here and I'll take a look.

• I'm trying to install Steam. But there's some sort of problem. When I download SteamInstall.msi and attempt to install it, it asks me what folder I want to put it in. By default, it asks to use the destination C:\Program Files\Steam\, but when I click install, it says "Steam must be installed to an empty folder."

This is the computer I was asking about before, which I pretty much removed everything from while I was fixing it. Steam was one of the programs I removed. Apparently, one file in the old Steam folder didn't delete, so the folder is not empty. The file that didn't delete is called loop_2.tga, and when I try to delete it manually, it says:

Cannot delete loop_2: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

What does this mean, and how can I fix it? I know I could just name the destination folder something else to get around this, but I don't want to leave it in there. Is there something I can do to remove it?

EDIT: By the way, would I be completely nuts to run CHKDSK on it? It has a nearly 250 GB hard drive, but over 200 of those gigs are currently empty. I've heard running CHKDSK can take days on large hard drives, and I'm not sure I want to do such a thing.

• @Mr.SmashMeister

That error can be fixed by CHKDSK. It might take awhile I'm not sure. If that doesn't work you can boot to safe mode and try and delete or boot to the command prompt only and delete it that way. For now I'd rename the existing Steam folder if you can.

• It never occurred to me to rename the broken folder! Thank you Forsberg, Installing Steam now. I'll run CHKDSK over the weekend and let you know if it works.

• OK, CHKDSK worked. The file is gone and it might be my imagination, but I think my PC is running ever so slightly faster.

Now for a question I probably should have asked a while ago:

I want to keep this computer alive for as long as possible, for two reasons: 1. Star Wars: The Old Republic, and 2. I really can't afford a new computer.

But it's 4 years old now, and I'm sure the hardware is laughably outdated. So I'm going to post all the hardware specs I think are relevant and let you guys tell me if I should upgrade, or if I need to start saving up.

(The following is quoted directly from the specs sheet received with the computer purchase)

• Model: It's a Dell Dimension E510 Series with a Pentium D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB) running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.
    • Memory: Has 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (This I did not know. I thought I had 2 gigs of RAM, and realize this is probably the first thing to upgrade if upgrading even makes sense)
    • Video Card: 256MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory (Don't know how much of that is actually relevant, since I have zero knowledge of video cards)
    • Hard Drive: 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 8MB cache

Since I honestly thought I had 2 gigs of RAM, I'm feeling slightly optimistic now that just buying some more will fix all my problems. But then, I say again that I know nothing about video cards and I'm probably in the market for a new one of those at least. So give it to me straight: Upgrade or buy a new PC?

EDIT: I found the manual for my computer online here if it helps.

Suggested by
  • You should upgrade, the Pentium D you have is pretty decent, so it would be a waste of money to buy a new rig that has only a slightly better processor. It seems you already plan to upgrade the ram, I don't know how many ram slots you have, but if you have the money you should max them out. Throwing in another hard drive isn't too hard, but that's only necessary if you feel you don't have enough space. The only thing I'd change is the graphics card, and only if you plan to play new games. I'd suggest one, but I don't know what your budget look likes. 

• @coors: I think I can get up to 4 gigs of RAM in it. If that would significantly extend the life, then I'm interested. Does anyone know where I could find the type of RAM it uses for cheap?(400-MHz and 533-MHz DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM)

As for hard drive space, I'm using less than 50 of those 250 gigs at the moment, so no problems there.

And graphics cards: Yes, I want to play newer games. Right now the only visually demanding game it plays is Civilization IV, but I'm interested in Empire: Total War, which I'm sure is far more demanding. What about SW:TOR? I know the information probably isn't out yet, but I'm guessing I'll need a better card for that too. My budget is less than $100 though. Is that enough for anything decent?

• Video card and RAM can get upgraded and you should be good for awhile.  Best bet for the RAM is an online retailer.

• Here's a link to show you your motherboard's (mobo) specs:

www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp

You have a dual core that can hyperthread, so it's essentially a quad core.  Each core can do 2 tasks.  So, like Coors said, you can survive with that.  Here is a suggestion for memory:

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

It has free shipping, so that is a plus.  The con is that it is rated at 800mhz and ur mobo supports up to 533mhz.  While ur Dell will only run it at 533mhz, the latencies should be lower, so you shouldn't notice a difference in the speed.   But in case you buy a new computer later, u can pull the memory out of this and use it on the new one- more than likely!  Plus the 800mhz memory is more common and usually cheaper.  Ur mobo should have 4 slots for RAM, so 4 sticks should be $83.98.

For graphix, u are somewhat limited.  Check this link for a good graphix card:

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

U could get that card and 2 GB RAM for around $110.

A 250 GB hard drive will hold plenty of info, but think about what games u will be buying.  Most new games eat up at least 10 GB of space, so beware!  U have SATA 2, so hard drives aren't steep in case u need to upgrade later.

You can get decent to good for less than $100, but you might want to take the lady to Micky D's for a couple weeks and save some dough for a new graphix card and RAM.  lol.   Newegg has great shipping and customer service, so I recommend them since I spent a ton of money with them to build my rig.

• @JMart: The memory you recommended looks like a great deal, especially if I would be able to reuse it in a future computer like you say. But I took a look at the card you recommended and saw this in the user reviews:

This card does consume a significant amount of power and if you aren't careful it could burn out your PSU. Stock PSUs usually can't handle this if you are upgrading a retail PC that came with integrated graphics. Mine came with a 250W. Minimum for this card is 350W according to the manufacturer but I went with a 400W to be safe.

I checked my computer's specs, and it says 305W. (according to this page) Is that a big problem, or can it be worked around? Because that card seems to be just perfect otherwise. (Unless I'm missing something in the manual that makes it incompatible anyway)

• If the card says you need a higher PSU than the one you have, then your kinda limited to what you can do. I highly suggest not playing around by putting a card in you don't have the recommended wattage for. It could end up doing your whole rig in, in the long.

What ends up happening is that you can run the card for a while but while your doing that, you end up starving other components of power to meet demand for your video card and vice versa severely shortening the lifespan of all components.

My suggestion would be to upgrade the PSU (the most important part of any computer) along with the card if you can, making sure to get a decent brand like FSP or PC power and cooling with a wattage between 500 to 600 watts at the very least. Most single card solutions won't need more than that, especially with the green movement going on in the computer sector, so you should be future proofed.

/Lurking mode activate.

The difficult is easily done; it's the impossible that takes a little while

Page 4 of 6 (86 items) «23456