www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening

The official Computer Help thread

Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)
All Replies
  • Hey, I've been in college for a while now and the internet service for the dorm where I am staying is very good, I notice almost no difference using the internet in the dorms from when I used it at my home (I had high speed at my house). There is a large difference however when I play games online. WoW is the example I'll use, but it is basically universal. Anyway, I start up the game and I have a latency of about 150-200 ms (green). I can play for about 15 minutes to 30 minutes and then my latency usually shoots up to between 400-600 ms (yellow-red). Even this lag is not that terrible, but when I get to this point, it either rises exponentially (it hit 3k once) or it wavers back and forth, annoying but playable.

I tentatively asked the Chief Information Officer for our internet why this might be and he said that they use a program that limits "resource intensive applications" to a certain amount of bandwidth. I prodded him some more, and from what he told me, it doesn't limit applications to a certain amount of bandwidth, it simply categorizes every application using bandwidth, and then only allows so much of it to be used in each category. He said that I should be using the maximum amount of bandwidth that I can with this system in place, so it is beneficial and not detrimental.

To the question: Is the the lag I experience being caused by this program, or is my anitvirus (McAfee) causing some problems because I have shifted to a foreign network. I've cleared the ports that WoW uses primarily for game play, and my internet speed is amazing. I download patches and other things 300% faster in the dorms than I ever did at home. I just don't understand why I have such a crappy connection now. I've contemplated the fact that maybe so many other people play games, the bandwidth gets used up fast, but I didn't think WoW was that incredibly intensive on the bandwidth end of things. I mean, if my internet at home could handle it, why can't my dorm's internet? It is by all measures much faster than my home's.

I tried to be as detailed as possible, so hopefully some really intelligent person can put this together for me. If there seems to be some important information missing let me know. I don't know the name of the program the college uses to control internet usage. If you think there is a better place I could post this for an answer let me know. Thanks to anyone with an idea!!!

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • nvm.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • Hey all,

I'm selling a laptop on Ebay and I want to make sure it's cleaned out. It's an HP Pavillion dv2 with Vista Home Premium.   If I reformat the HDD, would that uninstall the OS? And if so, how do I re-install it? Can I DL it somewhere? The laptop didn't come with a disc, so I can't re-install it that way.

Thanks in advance  : )

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Male
  • Their program is doing it. They throttle the bandwidth. It takes awhile for it to pick up on it. Which is why it starts off well and gets worse.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
    Suggested by
  • Reformatting the HDD will wipe everything off it. Not sure why it didn't come with a disk since it should come with one. The other option is you have a recovery partition on the hard drive. If that is the case the process is a little different. Basically when you go into My Computer how many hard disks do you have?

• Not Ranked
    • Male
    Suggested by
  • Local Disk (C:) and RECOVERY (D:)

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Male
  • Okay so your recovery Disk is on D: drive. Somewhere in the instructions or you could find them online there is instructions to reset the machine to factory default. I tried to find the instructions online however they did a good job of hiding them. Basically you need to check how it does recovery. If it can reset to factory then you can use that to set back to the way it was when you first got it. The other option is to format the C: partition and then use the Recovery partition to reload the C:

I've never done a recovery using a Recovery partition so I can't really offer much more help. At worst you can contact HP support about how to do the Recovery and the details of what it will do. You can just tell them you want to get it back to factory defaults.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • Ok, thanks for the help :  )

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi, I currently own a Gateway NV52, and I've had it since October, which is roughly 3 months.  Yesterday I was playing Counter Strike on it, and I later put it away and shut it down because we had to visit some relatives for the holidays.  When we got back I opened it and tried to turn it on, nothing happened.  Later I plugged in the power supply, and it said that it was charging.  When it said that it was finished charging, I tried turning it on again, and still nothing.

The laptop is still in perfect condition, nothing is damaged, and the hard drive is clean and free of viruses and all that fun stuff.  It currently runs in Windows 7.  No one else uses my laptop, only me.  I use it for gaming, school work, and surfing the web.

If anyone can help me, thanks in advance and I appreciate your time.  If you need any more details, ask me.

• Not Ranked
    • Female
    Suggested by
  • Hey Verify,

I moved your post here to the Computer Help thread. Hopefully someone will be able to help you here.

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Male
  • @Verify

Honestly I'm not that tech savvy but maybe your battery just went to s***. I have a laptop and with most rechargeable things (notably iPods or cellular phone) if you leave them plugged in all the time it kills the battery faster than just charging, then unplugging and using until almost dead and then plugging it back in.

• Not Ranked
  • @Verify

Try to take the battery out and run it with just the cord. If that works try putting the battery in and running with the cord. If that works then try using just the battery. If it fails on the last one the battery has an issue. If it only three months old you could still be under warranty. If you are the manufacturer should replace it at no cost. If its out of warranty then you would need to buy a new battery. They aren't cheap.

Alos if it doesn't work with the power cord there is something else wrong and the same thing about warranties applies.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • Howdy. I have what might not be a particularly simple question, and I haven't been successful in finding a satisfactory answer up until this point. My PC is currently set up in RAID 1 configuration, and has Windows Vista installed. I qualified for a $30 upgrade to Windows 7, so I want to reformat my drives and get the new operating system up. The only problem is that I'm not very familiar with RAID arrays. I had my current setup factory installed because I wanted the extra security, but I suppose I failed to consider every possible contingency. What I need to know is whether or not the RAID 1 array would survive a disk reformat either with a boot disk or without, whether reformatting the first partition will by default reformat the mirror, and whether there's any glaring issue that I'm missing. Help from those who would be familiar would be extremely appreciated.

---

"I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions!"

Currently Playing: Rock Band 2 (PS3), Mass Effect 2 (PC), Heavy Rain (PS3)

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • Hey Kevin,

I moved your post here to our Computer Help thread. Hopefully someone can help you out here. Please use this thread for future PC help questions. Thanks  : )

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Male
  • Kevin Maskornick,

Reformatting will erase ur data.  First off, you might want to back up all of ur data before upgrading- just to be safe.  

Next thing-  Are u running hardware RAID (2 hard drives) or Software RAID (OS mirroring)?

I'm not real familar with RAID, but we'll help u out!

• Not Ranked
    • Male
Page 2 of 6 (86 items) 12345»