www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening

Need help building a computer around this

Answered (Verified) This question is answered
Verified Answer
  • slow morning with the snow and all that so I got to it early.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yemZ

At $983 this is more of a high end build.  Using a great SSD for your primary boot a 660ti GPU and a gold rated PSU.  Only thing I did not include was a tower since those are mostly personal preference.  Keep in mind when picking a tower you are putting nearly 1,000$ worth of hardware inside it so you want something that will keep it protected.  I would get something made out of steel and if you have the floor space for it a full tower, but a mid is acceptable.  Beyond that find something you like aesthetically, I like my cases a bit more minimal with fewer LEDs so they dont light up my media room when I am trying to watch a movie.

If this is a bit too expensive you could probably save roughly $180 by removing the SSD and going with an AMD equivalent  GPU.  I like the 660TI for its price point, not the most powerful on the market but it will max anything currently on the market.  Then in 2 years or so if you want to boost your performance just pick up a 2nd one and go SLI.  There is nothing wrong with the AMD cards I went NVIDIA though since I have been using them for the past 5 years or so now and been very very happy with them.  They have come a long way with their drivers in recent years which was always their knock.  

We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

Steam - palor700   XBL - LooneyPilot   paxgaming.com

Verified by
All Replies
  • It is over priced.  The processor is worth $100, the MB is $70, and the memory is worth roughly $50.  So you are looking at $220 for the parts.  The MB is a low end budget micro ATX board, it is not terrible but not something I would build a gaming PC around.

There are several of us here that can help get you going in the correct direction.  First thing we need though is a budget, be it $400, $800, or $1200.  We also need to know what all  you need, ie do you need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS, speakers...and so on.  Those items can really cut into a budget when you figure Win7 is going to run  you roughly $100 and a good monitor is going to run you another $150ish.

We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

• ^ Palor hit it on the dot, we need to know a budget that you're willing to spend. What I can tell you is that if you have a microcenter near you you can get a lot of good deals on computer gear. I was looking for a 3570k and found a 3770k for the same price from microcenter, almost $100 saved for a better cpu. Let us know! :D

• Thank you guys for the quick replies, I am gearing more towards maybe a 1k budget, i am not going to be buying this all at once mostly in separate pieces, just trying to work on my goal setting, should only take me a couple months to get all parts. Even if its a little over 1k i don't mind, I do not need any OS or anything like that I have it all. I would like to enjoy pretty labor intensive games on great settings with little to no frame drop or anything like that though.

• 1k for the guts is very doable.  With that price you can probably even do a SSD for some great performance.  I would recommend Intel over AMD, the I5 processors are worth the price, I7s if you need hyperthreading.  I will throw you together a quick build over lunch or something today.

• slow morning with the snow and all that so I got to it early.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yemZ

At $983 this is more of a high end build.  Using a great SSD for your primary boot a 660ti GPU and a gold rated PSU.  Only thing I did not include was a tower since those are mostly personal preference.  Keep in mind when picking a tower you are putting nearly 1,000$ worth of hardware inside it so you want something that will keep it protected.  I would get something made out of steel and if you have the floor space for it a full tower, but a mid is acceptable.  Beyond that find something you like aesthetically, I like my cases a bit more minimal with fewer LEDs so they dont light up my media room when I am trying to watch a movie.

If this is a bit too expensive you could probably save roughly $180 by removing the SSD and going with an AMD equivalent  GPU.  I like the 660TI for its price point, not the most powerful on the market but it will max anything currently on the market.  Then in 2 years or so if you want to boost your performance just pick up a 2nd one and go SLI.  There is nothing wrong with the AMD cards I went NVIDIA though since I have been using them for the past 5 years or so now and been very very happy with them.  They have come a long way with their drivers in recent years which was always their knock.  

Verified by
  • wow thank you all for the responses, his really helped me out a  lot. It is nice to see that helpful, mature people do exist on the internet.

• All you need is here:

www.pcgamer.com/.../pc-gamer-rig

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)