The lights are on

What's Happening

The **OFFICIAL** Wii U Thread

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 269 Replies |
  • 47 Followers
  • Kinsey:

@ ResidentHazard

A Chozo-centered game would certainly be interesting.  Were you thinking of something where you play a Chozo wielding some sort of ancient looking power suit, or something not so extreme.  Could you even call it Metroid if there aren't any in the game.  Perhaps they'll make Samus' adventures, where you save baby dinosaurs from Space Pirates using a staff.

PS that was purely for stupidity and not to jab your fandom.

The impression I largely get from the Metroid series is that the Chozo are revered as one of the wisest, most advanced, and most ancient of the races in the galaxy.  But they've stumbled as much as anyone, and created the Metroid lifeforms to be a "super-predator" of the X-parasite.  But the Metroids got out of control, and the Space Pirates (under the leadership of a (NOW DEAD) Ridley) invaded a Chozo world, Zebes, destroyed the Chozo civilization there, and tried to turn the Metroids into weapons.

Now, what I'd like to see is a new Metroid game (or even trilogy) that features:

• A still-thriving Chozo world facing a new Pirate threat.
    • Pirate leadership not featuring Ridley--something new (perhaps an organized Pirate group).
    • Background story on the Pirate species.
    • Background story expansion on the Chozo species.
    • And of course, normal Metroid gameplay:  Solitary exploration, gradual story unveiling, moody atmospheric environments, and new weapon and item upgrades.
    • For Samus to be the strong heroine that she was before Other M turned her into a childish, insulting, tween girl stereotype.

Every Metroid game so far, on a planet, has featured a world with Chozo ruins--the aftermath of a forgotten or devastated Chozo world.  Samus comes in after it's been destroyed.  I get the impression the Chozo are a seemingly, a species nearing extinction for whatever reason.  Perhaps they're on the verge of transcending to a new plane of existence--perhaps they really are simply dying out...?

At any rate, a new Metroid game, playing as Samus, where she visits a thriving Chozo planet--and where players get some backstory on the wise and mysterious Chozo.  

• As I've said before on other threads. I love Nintendo and I'm excited to see what the Wii U will be capable of. The true test will be seeing some top notch shooters that are Halo or Killzone killers. Sega's The Conduit was a nice stab at bringing FPS action to the Wii, but it's going to take a non-stop stream of AAA titles. That means Splinter Cell, Hitman 5, racing titles like Grid or Dirt, RPG's, and indie titltes that break new ground. If they try to support this thing with a bunch of shovelware, they'lll kill this system for sure. This has the potential to be and do EVERYTHING the Dreamcast never could.

• as to realeasing a new classic controller they could but might not i only say this just cause if your comparing it to shape and stuff of the 360 n ps3 there kinda copyrighted persay idk if thats the right word but similar thing in this case so they'd have to come up with something else or use an old (outdated) thing again  

• S.T.A.R.S. Officer:

Also, anyone think Nintendo will release a better Classic Controller? That thing is incredibly outdated, even when the Pro was released. Those analog sticks are pretty bad compared to 360/PS3, even worse than PS2 analog sticks.

I know. The only thing the Classic Controller was good for was for playing Monster Hunter Tri. The sticks were terrible, so FPS games were better played with motion control.

However, there's plenty on time for Nintendo to sort out Wii U's problems before it (probably) launches late next year. So I remain optimistic. On the plus side, having one controller per console does lend itself to very interesting concepts (see: Chase Mii, Battle Mii).

Btw, I have a 3DS and 2/3 of my total usage time (150 hours) was spent playing DS games. I'm a pretty big DS fanatic. I'm sure it would've been more even if I had the money to buy Shadow Wars, but I figured that I'd buy it when the price went down (and when I have money).

I'd like the next Metroid game to be similar to Prime 3, but not so cinematic. Multi-planet exploration, giving a sense of history to, not just an individual planet, but the whole Metroid universe... good stuff. Prime 3 would have been my favorite in the series if it didn't have the worst fetch quest in the Prime trilogy. That, and the final boss was a letdown. I'd also love to see a 2D Metroid game from WayForward (at the least, it would look beautiful), but Nintendo doesn't see it my way.

This signature will remain unchanged until I stop going insane.

• I'm looking forward to the Wii U. Not so much looking forward to taking calls about it, though. It looks like a fun system. I'm intrigued about the controller most of all. How backwards compatible is it supposed to be?

"Sometimes glass glitters more than diamonds because it has more to prove." -Terry Pratchett

• @MoonStarKitten

"How backwards compatible is it supposed to be?"

Oh you know, pretty backwards compatible. I would say that it's backwards compatible to the point where you can play all the Wii games, but definitely not for playing GameCube.

Currently playing: Modern Warfare 2, Resident Evil 5, New Vegas, Halo Reach, Bulletstorm

Add me on XBL: Pyr0CheeZeCake (that's a zero)

The Freeman Returns 2012. I'll give it hope for another year...

• MoonStarKitten:

How backwards compatible is it supposed to be?

The Wii U can use all Wii accessories (WiiMote, Balance Board, Classic Controller, etc.) and play all Wii games, but not GameCube games. I assume that there will be a Virtual Console as well, which may include GameCube games. I'm also confident that WiiWare games will be transferable to the Wii U.

This signature will remain unchanged until I stop going insane.

• I wonder how the VC/WiiWare games will be transferred?

Currently playing: Modern Warfare 2, Resident Evil 5, New Vegas, Halo Reach, Bulletstorm

• assuming wiiware and vc games are transferable  which they should be i'd assume you already bought it so just download again or if its on a sd card pop it in  

• Yeah, that might work, granted the files transfer. They're locked files from my understanding. I'm sure there must be a way around that, though.

• I just realized that Nintendo can make a DS player add-on for the Wii U. The TV screen can be the top screen, and the controller's screen could be the touch screen.

• RezidentHazard (rides again):

At any rate, a new Metroid game, playing as Samus, where she visits a thriving Chozo planet--and where players get some backstory on the wise and mysterious Chozo.  

I would buy it.

• I consider myself a serious gamer, and I did not like the Wii which tells me that Nintendo is making this system to convert me.  I had 4 serious problems with the Wii.  1st was the network and Wiis general online.  Getting into games with friends is just a pain.  2nd which ties in with the first, is the lack of media on the Wii network.  Where Sony and Microsoft are fighting to give me more online content away from games themselves it is like Nintendo is oblivious to anything but repackaged game cube games.  Plus if they did give us anything where would I save it?  Would I need to go out and buy 10 SD cards?

3rd the performance of the system.  I am not a graphics junkie, but graphic capability is a good representation of the overall system performance.  Graphic processing tends to scale linearly with processing power, memory and so on.  My old work laptop which I got in 2003 had a faster processor and more memory than a Wii does, and I am talking the laptop my company gave me for running MS office and so on, not a gaming system.  Lastly the controller.  I don’t hate the Wii remote, they have their use, great for bowling, dancing games, archery type games and so on.  However for 80% of the games I play a standard dual analog stick controller would have been far better.  Why they could not have designed a normal controller and offered the remote as an accessory I have no idea.

So now onto the Wii U.  The processor and GPU are still up for some debate.  So I will start off giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt.  This thing will have hopefully at least the same abilities as the PS3 if not  greater.  I do have some heat concerns, Amd Radeon cards have some massive heat issues and supposedly the next gen is even worse, I just don’t see the ability to cool this chipset with the current housing design.  After this I don’t see much promise in the Wii U controller.  The controller, looks interesting, I would like to try it.  Again though Nintendo missed the point of a basic functioning controller.  Why could they not make a system that works first and foremost with a regular dual analog controller?  Give me a system that can support 3 or 4 dual shock like controllers plus one of the custom Wii U tablet pc like controllers.  If my friends are over are 3 of us expected to use the old Wii remote while 1 gets the new controller?  If the system supports more than 1 Wii U remote great but how much will each additional controller cost?  $150, maybe more?

Next the lack of a physical hard drive gives me concern.  Apparently they don’t expect people to be doing much downloading off their network.  I have almost 10 gigs of DLC just on my 360, heck the undead package for Red Dead was like 1.2gigs alone.  What about downloading a full HD game?  360 games are 8gigs and up, PS3 are closer to 12 and up on average.  Sure I can plug a USB external drive into the system.  So after I spend $300 for the system I am supposed to also go buy an $80 drive.  Don’t get me wrong In the future I hope all the systems allow external drives but not at the cost of internal.  Now they are making their own disc format.  Don’t give me this, Blu-Ray is expensive.  You can buy a bare Blu-Ray drive for under $70.  Let’s be real, that is price to us the end user, we are paying 3-4 times actual cost.  Instead of using established technology that would work just fine we are going to end up paying for new technology development.  They are going to go out design a new disc format, the read format for these new discs.  They will then need to either mass produce the drives and the discs themselves or outsource it.  Somehow this seems like it will add to the price of the unit not cut it.  So they are making the system more expensive and limiting  its abilities to be used as a multimedia device.

I will wait and see, maybe things will change between now and release but right now I see console on par with the PS3 in processing and video but lacking in storage, controls, online options, and media format.

We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

Steam - palor700   XBL - LooneyPilot   paxgaming.com

• @Palor

I dunno about you, but I like the Wii Remote + Nunchuck combo that the Wii has. Way more than that stupid iPad controller thing. I also care much about the size of the HDD flash memory. The Wii U games won't be like PS3/360 where you have to install the games before you play them. The discs are supposed to hold like 25GB of memory, so there won't need to be any unpacking into the system's memory.

I'm not big on downloading things, but I can definitely see myself buying a decent sized SD card. They make 128GB ones, but I can't remember how much they cost.

I wouldn't worry too much about cooling. The back of the system could be a vent for the most part, same with the sides, and there could be two fans in it, we don't know. We don't even know for sure if that's what it will look like.

I thinking waiting and seeing is the best choice right now.

• Palor:
    Now they are making their own disc format.  Don’t give me this, Blu-Ray is expensive.  You can buy a bare Blu-Ray drive for under $70.  Let’s be real, that is price to us the end user, we are paying 3-4 times actual cost.  Instead of using established technology that would work just fine we are going to end up paying for new technology development.  They are going to go out design a new disc format, the read format for these new discs.  They will then need to either mass produce the drives and the discs themselves or outsource it.  Somehow this seems like it will add to the price of the unit not cut it.  So they are making the system more expensive and limiting  its abilities to be used as a multimedia device.

You're complaining about them making their own version of Blu-Ray and arguing it will be more expensive based on no evidence? Actually, ignoring the evidence that says the opposite, as this is exactly what they did for the GameCube and Wii. Instead of paying the rights to DVDs they had a company make them their own disc format. I believe this is the same company that is making the Wii U's discs.

Page 5 of 18 (269 items) «34567»