www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

The **OFFICIAL** Wii U Thread

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 269 Replies |
  • 47 Followers
  • I also heard about the 8gb internal memory, however thats still not the 160, 320, or 250 gigs that the ps3 or 360 are offering.  Maybe I'm being a little hard on the system too early.  I don't know.  I really hope they redesign that controller.  It looks uncomfortable for long gaming sessions.  And the $250 - $300 price range, I'm still betting that that is the price of the controller by itself.

I was expecting to see a console that would make me want to hang up my 360 controller.

(thanks for the welcom ResHaz!)

GI's unofficial MMA Blogger!  Check it out!

• Ah littlejoe, the controller won't cost nearly $250 by itself.  The 3DS costs about $150 to mass produce, and that has all the stuff of the Wii U controller, plus a 3-D screen, and internal CPU and GPU.  The Wii U is just a screen with bells and whistles (and buttons!), and streams everything from the console itself.  None of that extra hardware.  While I fear it could cost up to $100, I'm betting more along the lines of $50-$80.  Still pricey as hell, but nowhere near $250.  

Now, all they need is to allow up to 4 of those controllers to be used at once on the system.

I think a lot of people are being too hard on it too early.  Nintendo should've shown gameplay footage of an actual game in development, but I think it has more potential than the Wii Remote alone did.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the controller being uncomfortable.  Early play sessions have all been very supportive of it (both here and at IGN), and have noted how natural it feels.  Plus, when has Nintendo ever made a controller that was truly uncomfortable?  Control has always been their primary focus.

• @Phaizran:

I never owned a GameCube. I have two GC computers that I bought for super cheap, and and two or three GameCube games, and I couldn't honestly careless.

Currently playing: Modern Warfare 2, Resident Evil 5, New Vegas, Halo Reach, Bulletstorm

Add me on XBL: Pyr0CheeZeCake (that's a zero)

The Freeman Returns 2012. I'll give it hope for another year...

• Horrible, clunky, lame ... too much to type.

• RezidentHazard (rides again):

Ugh, people need to stop saying "Metroid Prime 4."  There is little chance of a "Metroid Prime 4."  The Prime series was a trilogy taking place between Metroid 1 and Metroid II, and with the death of Dark Samus, which was a creature formed from the lifeform known as Metroid Prime, the series is over.  It was a trilogy built around Phazon, the Metroid Prime, and Dark Samus.  

Hopefully, Retro is making a brand new Metroid game and, while I doubt it will happen, I'd prefer them to make a game erasing Other M from the continuity.  If nothing else, I'd be happy to see Retro given free reign to make whatever the hell they want.

Not sure how my thread and your response to it got lumped in here with this thread, but you kind of missed my point.  Just to make you feel better, though, I changed it to "Metroid first person game".  I was referring to the style of game, not the story.  What I was hoping for, before it got combined into this thread anyway, was to see how people were hoping to see the controller put to use, not get a lesson on Metroid canon.

• I'm digging Ubisoft's support of Wii U (much more so than EA). Killer Things is being developed by Ubisoft Montpellier (legendary development studio is legendary) and the Assassain's Creed game is being handled by Ubisoft Quebec (who developed thw Wii version of The Forgotten Sands ((which was better than the other versions, imo)) and is helping with Brotherhood). Granted, memories of Red Steel still haunt me, but I'm pretty optomistic about 3rd party exclusives. Ghost Recon Online is what the Wii U needs - an exclusive online shooter. It didn't stricke me as polished (yet) but

I also heard that 5th Cell is doing something. It should be brilliance on a stick.

This signature will remain unchanged until I stop going insane.

• - Hard Drive Space:

while we've heard that it will only have the 8gb flash memory atm  it does say that sd cards and usb hard drive / flash drives are useable.

that being said i think while i rather it come with space i think that'll lower the price it not having it.  if you think about it thats not a bad thing fully.  people that want more space can buy a seperate external hard drive or their  space choice and use that and people that find 8gb flash mostly enough wont have to pay more for what they wont use.

- only 1 controller??

while we don't know if you can only use one of those controllers i personally doubt that'll be the case.  true that its possible but most systems far as i can recall atm  have at least 2 that you can use for that system and i can't image them not doing the same.

- price??

i personally think it'll be about 350.

wii when it came out was 1st with moition control and it was still cheapest yes i know it was lesser in power ect  but people always want to buy something less expensive

example:   i didn't get my ps3 till slim came out and bought a 80gb fat cause its cheaper.

i think 250 or less would be too cheap for wii you but also 400 or more too high so i'll pick 350  

• Kinsey:

RezidentHazard (rides again):

Ugh, people need to stop saying "Metroid Prime 4."  There is little chance of a "Metroid Prime 4."  The Prime series was a trilogy taking place between Metroid 1 and Metroid II, and with the death of Dark Samus, which was a creature formed from the lifeform known as Metroid Prime, the series is over.  It was a trilogy built around Phazon, the Metroid Prime, and Dark Samus.  

Hopefully, Retro is making a brand new Metroid game and, while I doubt it will happen, I'd prefer them to make a game erasing Other M from the continuity.  If nothing else, I'd be happy to see Retro given free reign to make whatever the hell they want.

Not sure how my thread and your response to it got lumped in here with this thread, but you kind of missed my point.  Just to make you feel better, though, I changed it to "Metroid first person game".  I was referring to the style of game, not the story.  What I was hoping for, before it got combined into this thread anyway, was to see how people were hoping to see the controller put to use, not get a lesson on Metroid canon.

There are scarce few things to which I will admit being a fanboy.  Metroid is one of them.  So take my comment with a grain of salt.  

I'm just tired of seeing people hoping for "Metroid Prime 4" when the "Prime" series is essentially complete, and was basically crafted to be a trilogy.  Though, I'm also tired of seeing people claim that "Metroid should be 2-D" because that's idiotic.  Outside of Super Metroid, the best games in the series have been the first-person titles from Retro.  Fusion started down that evil slippery-slope to boring-ass linear gameplay that Other M fully embraced.

For that matter, always note that my severe hatred of Other M is much harsher than that of most people largely because of my Metroid fanboyism.  Even elements of the gameplay which may have worked (what few there were), I harshly dismiss due to said elements being fundamentally un-Metroid.  My criticisms of that travesty, though, are still valid as far as I'm concerned.  

Now, to be fair, I would love nothing more than to see a true Metroid game crafted again from Retro, and my deepest hope is that it would remove Other M from the continuity, and put the series back on-track to appealing to Western audiences (as the franchise always has), restoring the exploration, and reviving Samus's heroic strength.  First person, 3rd person, even side-scrolling--doesn't matter.  So long as the elements that made the franchise great are all there.  Super Metroid, and Metroid Prime had all those elements.  Other M had none of them.  

(Frankly, I'd like to see a game going into some detail on the Chozo and explaining their place in the galaxy.)

• TGM:

I'm digging Ubisoft's support of Wii U (much more so than EA). Killer Things is being developed by Ubisoft Montpellier (legendary development studio is legendary) and the Assassain's Creed game is being handled by Ubisoft Quebec (who developed thw Wii version of The Forgotten Sands ((which was better than the other versions, imo)) and is helping with Brotherhood). Granted, memories of Red Steel still haunt me, but I'm pretty optomistic about 3rd party exclusives. Ghost Recon Online is what the Wii U needs - an exclusive online shooter. It didn't stricke me as polished (yet) but

I also heard that 5th Cell is doing something. It should be brilliance on a stick.

Ubi-Soft loves to cram a bunch of crap onto store shelves when a new system launches.  They did it with the Wii and they did it with the 3DS.  Unfortunately, most of their stuff is just that--crap.  So here's hoping they turn things around next time.  I'm hoping the Killer Things from Outer Space game turns out as cool as it looks and sounds.

Well, to be fair, Ghost Recon on the 3DS is pretty awesome, and any 3DS owner who's a fan of Fire Emblem or Advance Wars would be wise to check it out.  Plays exactly like those two.

• I don't completely understand the one controller thing.

Currently playing: Modern Warfare 2, Resident Evil 5, New Vegas, Halo Reach, Bulletstorm

• S.T.A.R.S. Officer:

I don't completely understand the one controller thing.

It depends on whether or not if Nintendo can find an elegant way to have the console stream multiple pieces of information to multiple controllers, without raising costs. It's probably not easy. As far as I know, rumble is the only real console-to-controller form of feedback used in traditional controllers...

I'm thinking that Wii U will support two touchscreen controllers, then Nintendo will have some sort of seperate Classic Controller.

This signature will remain unchanged until I stop going insane.

• @ ResidentHazard

A Chozo-centered game would certainly be interesting.  Were you thinking of something where you play a Chozo wielding some sort of ancient looking power suit, or something not so extreme.  Could you even call it Metroid if there aren't any in the game.  Perhaps they'll make Samus' adventures, where you save baby dinosaurs from Space Pirates using a staff.

PS that was purely for stupidity and not to jab your fandom.

• @TGM

I just read a G4 article about it. They said using the 3DS might be the best way to solve the problem, but... Who besides RezHaz bought a 3DS? My thoughts about the system are beginning to change, I think I'd rather have a 3DS.

• i got a 3ds other day was waiting for games to come out on it or least dates..  but i wouldn' want a small dual screen for home to go with that instead of intended contoller

• I don't think the 3DS is supposed to be the "intended" controller. I don't really understand how the 3DS would work, but a second controller wouldn't.

Quite frankly, with only being able to use 1 controller, or 2, I can't see this system working out too well for Nintendo.

I think it's nice we'll be able to use the Wii controllers, but... why wouldn't you want to use the controller with the screen?

It's a pretty awkward concept that Nintendo has boiling up. I guess, as long as 4 Wii remotes can be connected to the system, it doesn't matter that much. I think the Wii's control scheme is pretty flawless, especially with Wii MotionPlus, and I find it to be much more comfortable than the standard controller. Hopefully, though, they'll be usable.

Also, anyone think Nintendo will release a better Classic Controller? That thing is incredibly outdated, even when the Pro was released. Those analog sticks are pretty bad compared to 360/PS3, even worse than PS2 analog sticks.

Page 4 of 18 (269 items) «23456»