www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

The **OFFICIAL** Wii U Thread

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 269 Replies |
  • 47 Followers
  • RezidentHazard (rides again):

I was going to respond to this, but then I realized that you lack the ability to organize your thoughts into print form because I can't understand a freakin' bit of your post.  

But then, since you evidentially lack basic writing skills, your post probably didn't contain a whole lot to spur an intelligent conversation anyway.

Bad grammar aside I think what he's trying to say is that he's counts himself as a Nintendo fan and he feel left behind and alienated, not catered to. I would have to agree with that sentiment. I guess it depends on who you qualify as a Nintendo fan. I got my start gaming with Nintendo franchises so they hold a lot of value to me. My first system every generation since I started gaming was from Nintendo. Hell even though their good intentions often fall short in execution, I even like they way they approach doing business. Yet this generation has left me feeling abandoned as a fan in favor of the casul market. And why should I not think that way? Their best selling games are Wii FIt and Wii play not these mario cash ins you keep talking about. When the first run of hardcore games dried up Nintendo pushed the development of thing like Wii Music rather than new hardcore IP's or reinventions of old franchises. And since they dried up even Nintendo first-party games have been in decline. Third party never really got their act together for the most part and the Devs that were good were held back by the weak system and awkward conrtoler. The Wii has been a comercial success because of the new untapped casual crowd, even though its a massive failure in the eyes of most fans. Its true Nintendo hasn't truely lost their fans. We want to see them succeed, but after the Wii we're rightfully cautious.

• I still think that 90% of the reason why the Wii failed with hardcore gamers has to do with the hardware. The really sad thing, is if Nintendo would have upped the processor to at least 1GHz, the graphics would be so much better. So much better.

Since the Wii U is backwards compatible with the Wii, and uses all the nifty peripherals, I think I'm going to trade in my Wii for it. I don't see why not.

Currently playing: Modern Warfare 2, Resident Evil 5, New Vegas, Halo Reach, Bulletstorm

Add me on XBL: Pyr0CheeZeCake (that's a zero)

The Freeman Returns 2012. I'll give it hope for another year...

• S.T.A.R.S. Officer:

Since the Wii U is backwards compatible with the Wii, and uses all the nifty peripherals, I think I'm going to trade in my Wii for it. I don't see why not.

Do you still have a Gamecube? Do you play Wii games with Gamecube controlers when the game lets you? This system won't be backwards compatible with Gamecube games/controlers. Just something to think about before you trade in your Wii.

• Phaizran:

RezidentHazard (rides again):

I was going to respond to this, but then I realized that you lack the ability to organize your thoughts into print form because I can't understand a freakin' bit of your post.  

But then, since you evidentially lack basic writing skills, your post probably didn't contain a whole lot to spur an intelligent conversation anyway.

Bad grammar aside I think what he's trying to say is that he's counts himself as a Nintendo fan and he feel left behind and alienated, not catered to. I would have to agree with that sentiment. I guess it depends on who you qualify as a Nintendo fan. I got my start gaming with Nintendo franchises so they hold a lot of value to me. My first system every generation since I started gaming was from Nintendo. Hell even though their good intentions often fall short in execution, I even like they way they approach doing business. Yet this generation has left me feeling abandoned as a fan in favor of the casul market. And why should I not think that way? Their best selling games are Wii FIt and Wii play not these mario cash ins you keep talking about. When the first run of hardcore games dried up Nintendo pushed the development of thing like Wii Music rather than new hardcore IP's or reinventions of old franchises. And since they dried up even Nintendo first-party games have been in decline. Third party never really got their act together for the most part and the Devs that were good were held back by the weak system and awkward conrtoler. The Wii has been a comercial success because of the new untapped casual crowd, even though its a massive failure in the eyes of most fans. Its true Nintendo hasn't truely lost their fans. We want to see them succeed, but after the Wii we're rightfully cautious.

Jeeezuz, no offense man, but sometimes Nintendo fans sound like spoiled brats who feel like they aren't getting enough attention.  Saying Wii Fit has monumental sales and trying to claim Nintendo didn't cater enough to you because of that is stupid.  By the way, outside of Wii Sports and Wii Play, Mario Kart Wii is the highest selling Wii game (Wii Fit falls below that).  I think Nintendo catered plenty to Nintendo fans.

Untold numbers of Super Mario Games including
    2 Super Mario Galaxy titles
    New Super Mario Bros Wii
    Mario Party
    Paper Mario
    Mario Tennis
    Mario Strikers
    Mario Sports Mix
    Mario & Sonic - 2 games
    Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary
    Wario Ware
    Wario Land
    Excite Truck
    ExciteBots
    Pokepark (or whatever)
    Two Zelda games on the Wii
    Plus the Zelda Crossbow game
    Punch-Out
    Sin & Punishment
    Kirby's Epic Yarn
    Kirby 2011
    Donkey Kong Country
    2 Metroid games (one good, one crap) as well as
    Metroid Prime Trilogy
    Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
    Pikmin 2 port
    Pikmin port
    Battalion Wars 2
    Donkey Kong Jungle Beat port
    Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
    Smash Bros Brawl

True, we didn't get a new StarFox or F-Zero or Pikmin, and not enough original titles for the hardcore crowd, and a couple other franchises were ignored, but then, the Wii also featured pretty much all of Nintendo's classic titles from the NES, SNES, and most from the N64 for download.  And this list doesn't even include all the Wii Ware titles--and Nintendo published over 40 titles for that service alone.

Nintendo didn't let down their fans or fanboys.  They fed Nintendo fans a steady stream of exactly what they buy:  Crap with Mario in it.  

Honestly, I feel that Nintendo could've done better, and they really should have brought Disaster and Fatal Frame over here, finished Project HAMMER, and they really should get Last Story, Xenoblade, and Pandora's Tower out as well--but they likely won't.  Still, they didn't let you down, and they didn't forget their fans.  They delivered tons of games for you and other Nintendo fans.  And if you guys want more variety, you should buy fewer Mario games, and more of everything else.  Other than that, there's not much to complain about.

And pay careful attention to that list I provided--it doesn't include their casual titles like Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play, FlingSmash, etc.  Nor does it contain all their Virtual Console games or their Wii Ware games.  Nor does it list all the other stuff they delivered on the DS and DSiWare.  

Hell, counting the Casual stuff and Wii Ware games, Nintendo had their hand in nearly a hundred games on the Wii--and that's still without the Virtual Console.  You have no reason to be "rightfully cautious" for the Wii U.  The company dropped the ball on a lot of stuff, but they sure as hell still delivered a ton of games for Nintendo fans to soak up.  I would probably go with "ignorantly cautious."  Because you should know better just how many games they have delivered over the Wii.

• Like I said a lot of this comes down to what you think qualifies as a Nintendo fan. By your definition its someone who blindly buys anything with Nintendo's branding. You also feel that they have catered to the fans simply by slapping mario on everything. I personally feel that the first entrys in their hardcore franchises this generation were great, but that after that almost everything has been a down hill ride for the Wii. Yes I like Zelda games, but I feel completely turned off by the Skyward Sword conrtol set up. I might like Mario, but seeing Mario Sports MIx evokes the same eyes rolled reaction that Wii Music would. Its probably true that fans of anything act entitled/spoiled when theres a shift that doesn't cater to them, but thats just the nature of being a fan the way I see it. I mean there are plenty of Zelda fans who constantly b*tch about how little the series changes, but when it changes there are just as many if not more who didn't want it to change. When people support something they want it to cater to them.

• @RezidentHazard (rides again)

accualy its easy to understand you obviously didn't reason it cause it looks like a seperated wall of text since i mostly write how i talk

also @  

thanks for reading and understanding my posts thats just about exactly what i was saying in both posts  i mean i like mario games  like kart  and super mario  n even mario party  but all the crummy sports 1s like mario n sonic ect isn't why i like nintendo and there  wii series games aren't for me.

zelda games mario games you expect those on nintendo so while yes thats gonna help it sell normaly of course you want more and they didn't give us that i wouldn't say  while sure there was a few gems they were few and far between 

while i can't say i'm a hardcore nintendo fan i can say i held alot of dear memories with most of there systems and expect better than the wii. :/   its sad that your fondest memory of the wii is playing mario kart with your grandmother but thats mine  while zelda was great and i loved them doing 2d mario it just wasn't what it should have been..

as to the shitload of downloadable oldschool games on virtual console and the wiiware  were cool i found very few wiiware games i liked and stoped looking after a while.  while i liked the old classics they don't feel right to me playing on a different controller than what they were originaly played on with the exception of a few most of which were NES games cause the controller simularity also i'm not big on rebuying games i still and/or already owned 

• Two things were recently confirmed. FIrst Nintendo is still designing the system nobody has a final version of the dev kits, i.e. the specs aren't final yet. The second thing is that the current design of the system only supports 1 of the new controlers at a time. This could still change though as Nintendo is still prototyping the system.

• styx971:

@RezidentHazard (rides again)

accualy its easy to understand you obviously didn't reason it cause it looks like a seperated wall of text since i mostly write how i talk

Actually (see, the word has a "t") it's not easy to understand what you write since your dreadful wall of letters contains any number of spelling, grammatical, and punctuation errors.  It's only easy to you because you're accustomed to your own unintelligible nonsense. It's extremely lazy and uneducated to write in such a manner and it demonstrates that you lack the ability to organize your thoughts into a cohesive statement.  The perception is that if you can't even write with some intelligence, you likely can't think with any.

Which in life, is generally true.  You want to be taken seriously, then take yourself seriously first--and learn basic composition.  I shouldn't have to waste time deciphering childish writing in the desperate hope that intelligent thought resides within.  Chance are, the uneducated writing proves there is no intelligent thought behind it.

It's for your own good, dude.  I'm just letting you know.  Like listening to some redneck deny evolution and his argument is that a 2000-year-old book he never read told him magical happenings were the answer to life.  Who would take that idiot seriously?

• Phaizran:

Two things were recently confirmed. FIrst Nintendo is still designing the system nobody has a final version of the dev kits, i.e. the specs aren't final yet. The second thing is that the current design of the system only supports 1 of the new controlers at a time. This could still change though as Nintendo is still prototyping the system.

Nobody may have a final version of the Dev Kit, but Rockstar and Retro confirmed having a form of the Dev Kit already.  Ubi-Soft must as well since they announced that 80's B-horror movie looking game Killer Freaks from Outer Space as a Wii U exclusive (which looks like it might be wicked entertaining).

While I'm sure the controller itself will be expensive, it would be stupid for Nintendo to only allow one to be used at a time.  Four player FPS titles or sports games, etc.  It would make sense for everyone to be able to do this together.  Give everyone the same advantages.

• Phaizran:

Like I said a lot of this comes down to what you think qualifies as a Nintendo fan. By your definition its someone who blindly buys anything with Nintendo's branding. You also feel that they have catered to the fans simply by slapping mario on everything. I personally feel that the first entrys in their hardcore franchises this generation were great, but that after that almost everything has been a down hill ride for the Wii. Yes I like Zelda games, but I feel completely turned off by the Skyward Sword conrtol set up. I might like Mario, but seeing Mario Sports MIx evokes the same eyes rolled reaction that Wii Music would. Its probably true that fans of anything act entitled/spoiled when theres a shift that doesn't cater to them, but thats just the nature of being a fan the way I see it. I mean there are plenty of Zelda fans who constantly b*tch about how little the series changes, but when it changes there are just as many if not more who didn't want it to change. When people support something they want it to cater to them.

Nintendo fanboys typically like anything made by Nintendo, especially if it has Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon in it or associated with it.  And, Mario crap sells huge numbers while the more hardcore Nintendo games (that I like), such as Eternal Darkness, Sin & Punishment, etc tend to sell very little.  

I think the Mario Sports games and Mario Party titles are all crap and I have no interest in them, and I've also lost interest in Paper Mario stuff (just too much Mario for me).  But Nintendo clearly delivered a lot of content to the Wii and DS, and it's pretty undeniable that they clearly catered to their fans.  

• I'm actually happy that this is coming out, it give me another chance to get back into Nintendo, that being said here's what I think of the Wii U.

I'm going to have to get ready for that controller by beta testing a dinner plate, but I think the whole having your menus on that screen while you play is sick, however that new screen is just an invitation for more stupid shovelware, like that ninja star game that was shown or that golf game. As for the specs, it is impressive and they are better may be better then Sony and Microsoft but not by enough, when Sony and Microsoft do release there next systems, they aren't going to be competing with Nintendo, there going to be competing with PC and MAC hardware, so Nintendo essentially just put there other foot in there mouths, unless there also releasing yet another new system whenever the other two companies do.

But I am still happy with what I saw, I'm decently trading in my craptastic Wii for this. As long as they also plan on releasing the newer 3rd party games and don't wast my time taking forever to rerelease all the games they originally missed out on. But I forgive Nintendo for the 5 years of disappointment.

• RezidentHazard (rides again):

Nobody may have a final version of the Dev Kit, but Rockstar and Retro confirmed having a form of the Dev Kit already.  Ubi-Soft must as well since they announced that 80's B-horror movie looking game Killer Freaks from Outer Space as a Wii U exclusive (which looks like it might be wicked entertaining).

Yeah they were talking about the Dev Kits they have now when they confirmed that the system specs weren't final yet.

While I'm sure the controller itself will be expensive, it would be stupid for Nintendo to only allow one to be used at a time.  Four player FPS titles or sports games, etc.  It would make sense for everyone to be able to do this together.  Give everyone the same advantages.

While I agree it would be stupid, Miyamoto himself confirmed that thats how they have designed it (at least until now). I hope the inevitable backlash from this news changes how they design the final product.

• Without a hard drive this system will once again miss out on games like the Fallout series, Elder Scrolls series, Red Dead, LA Noire, DLC for games, ect.  I wonder why Nintendo didn't talk about the online for the WiiU.  Like its dashboard, or voice chat, or if they're sticking with the whole friends code thing.

Also, in my opinion, I saw a lot of cool third party games for WiiU that, sales wise, are going to once again fail.

GI's unofficial MMA Blogger!  Check it out!

• littlejoe:

Without a hard drive this system will once again miss out on games like the Fallout series, Elder Scrolls series, Red Dead, LA Noire, DLC for games, ect.  I wonder why Nintendo didn't talk about the online for the WiiU.  Like its dashboard, or voice chat, or if they're sticking with the whole friends code thing.

Also, in my opinion, I saw a lot of cool third party games for WiiU that, sales wise, are going to once again fail.

From what I've heard elsewhere online, the Wii U has 8 Gigabytes of internal flash memory (so, like 16 times what the Wii has), is compatible with SD cards, USB thumb drives, and USB harddrives.  So, that could smooth over some storage issues.  The big problem with the Wii was 512 MB of storage, cut down to about 300 after you factor firmware updates and the like, and they didn't allow USB storage mediums, and for the first half of the Wii's cycle, they didn't allow you to use the SD card as a viable storage space.

While I'm disappointed there's no HDD, I'm relieved that they've at least put some thought into storage, and will apparently allow a wide range of options.

Among the other rumors I've heard springing up with E3:  The medium is once again Nintendo's proprietary disk format, but "high density" in the vein of 25 Gigabytes of space.  So that's... pretty freakin nice.

I hope the 3rd party games don't fail, but Nintendo fanboys being Nintendo fanboys, they will once again not buy any of the bloody (no pun intended) things.  At this stage, I buy my multi-platform titles on the Xbox360, and will likely continue to do so unless Wii U offers a tangible reason for me to get them there.  However, any exclusive 3rd party titles for the system--like the one Ubi Soft announced--I'm likely to support--to the extreme!

(Welcome back littlejoe!)

• Phaizran:

While I agree it would be stupid, Miyamoto himself confirmed that thats how they have designed it (at least until now). I hope the inevitable backlash from this news changes how they design the final product.

Hey, with enough backlash, hopefully they will tweak it to use more than one controller.  Two at the very least.  Luckily we have some history to show that Nintendo might be smart enough to tweak Wii U hardware to utilize more than one of these WiiPads--the Nintendo DS.  

The original DS was one of the ugliest things since the Virtual Boy.  The backlash was harsh as hell and Nintendo revamped it to the slightly less hideous DS (fat).  So, maybe enough complaining will get the job done.

I mean, look at this monstrosity:

Also, a note from VGChartz seems to indicate that Wii U will cost somewhere between $250 and $300.  Let's hope that's true--because that price ain't too shabby.  At least it's not $400.

Page 3 of 18 (269 items) 12345»