www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening

3DS Remakes and New games

Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)
All Replies
  • Got it, bro?

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • the original mario kart 64 would be nice to see.

I'm a Legendary GI member.

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Male
  • I would personally like to see NO MORE remakes, and I would seriously prefer if Nintendo would dig deep and give us some original titles.  Remakes and rereleases are generally lame, uninventive, and lazy.  

We all already played these and any other game suggested before in it's original form.  I'd much rather see Nintendo pull out all the stops and show us even more 3DS candy.  Kid Icarus looks fantastic, because it's fresh and new--not some lame remake that looks like a Nintendo64 game with higher-resolution textures.

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Male
    Suggested by
  • I definetly agree one of the original Metroids. Donkey Kong 64 would be amazing and since Ocarina of Time is being remade(and being a Zelda Fanboy) dare i say Majoras Mask(probably not)

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • In this case, we should all listen to RezHaz, because he is right. Remakes are stupid. They're a waste of time and a studio. Especially for Nintendo... who created the hardware and they know how it all works and what to do with it.

It would be another thing for 3rd parties, but look at Capcom, they're making a new Resident Evil exclusively for the 3DS. That's more creative than Nintendo is being with all of their 3DS remakes combined.

Currently playing: Modern Warfare 2, Resident Evil 5, New Vegas, Halo Reach, Bulletstorm

Add me on XBL: Pyr0CheeZeCake (that's a zero)

The Freeman Returns 2012. I'll give it hope for another year...

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • Thanks STARS Officer.  I love being a gamer, but sometimes other gamers are the most small-minded buffoons.  You don't see hardcore cinema fans constantly hoping for remakes of classic films, and neither should gamers be constantly hoping for unnecessary remakes of classic games.  That kind of thinking is what gives the industy the nasty case of sequelitis and, for Nintendo, a nasty case of "remake the past glories-itis."  

I'm a huge fan of unique and different games.  Things that try something new.  Yes, I fall prey to sequels, but I tend to ignore remakes en masse.  This talk of "remaking a classic Metroid game" is even worse.  That leads down roads with stupid comments like "remake Super Metroid so it's no longer perfect."  I got news for everyone that wants a remake/revisit of Super Metroid--broken down, that's pretty much what the first Metroid Prime was, with some new stuff.  Most of that game took Super Metroid and just built a new game off that framework.  Granted, I still loved it, but I could see very clearly all the ways they lifted inspiration direct from that classic SNES title--right down to the remixed music.

We should be talking about all the brilliant new games and ports coming to the 3DS, but as is par for the course, all Nintendo fans care about is that blasted revamp/remake/port of Ocarina of Time and "how else Nintendo can support the 3DS without their whole ass."

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Male
    Suggested by
  • Not nessecarily a remake, but I'd love to see Xenogears and Shenmue continue on. Of course, the former has a better chance than the latter (Xenogears did sell a lot on the Playstation, and a 3DS remake would not surprise me at all) but it's still something I'd like to see.

But, if we're talking about actual ports and stuff, as much as I hate the idea of remakes, I'd love to see Xenosaga get the treatment, but with some added content. And by added content, I mean all of Xenosaga related stuff that never got published in North America, like Xenosaga Freaks, A Missing Year, and Pied Piper. So it wouldn't be just a remake, it'd be a bevy of new content, at least for American fans. Another option would be to localize Xenosaga I & II and pick it up from there, which would be the easiest way to go about it.

Or, they could just redo the series proper, which would be even better.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • I like the remakes because these are old games which are hard to come by now. I want to show my children (If they are gamers themselves) what I had played through my years of gaming. I also want to challenge them and see if they spot things faster than I did back then. In short, I want to relive my past with my children.

Anyway, I was thinking and you guys are right. I'm changing the title to fit both type of games.

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Male
  • The good N64 games aren't very hard to come by. Would you rather spend 1000 Wii points on an emulated N64 game made to run in a higher resolution for today's TV's, or like $30 (or however much 3DS games will cost) on a game that has been ported a million times.

I'm not sure if Star Fox 64 was ever ported, but OoT was re-released and ported 5 times (V1.0, V1.1, V1.2, GameCube, VC). If you haven't played it or beaten it yet, you've been living under a rock for the past 12 years.

With remakes, there's a sense where a remake isn't completely unnecessary and when they are completely unnecessary.

For example, Capcom remaking the Resident Evil games for Wii. That was pretty pointless because 1, they only released RE1 and RE0, 2 they look and play EXACTLY the same as the GameCube version, 3 they were just another attempt to milk the RE franchise some more and 4, nothing important was changed, innovated, updated, upgraded, etc. from GC to Wii, making the port completely pointless. It didn't utilize and of the Wii's power, motion control or anything to speak of really. They still have the clunky tank controls, and they retailed for $30 new, when sitting right beside the REA was the GameCube section with RE0 and RE1 for about $15.

However, the RE games being remade from N64/Dreamcast to GameCube was a much more necessary approach because: 1, they didn't age very well. 2, they were incredibly hard to come by. 3, the GameCube didn't have many survival horror games in its library and 4, they utilized the power of the GameCube to a great extent, the GC RE games remain as some of the best looking games I've ever seen.

So it depends, and in this case, it's pretty stupid.

Currently playing: Modern Warfare 2, Resident Evil 5, New Vegas, Halo Reach, Bulletstorm

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • So, I'm being told how and on what system to play my games? Seriously guys, this is not a "Explain why you hate remakes" thread. If you have nothing to add what you want to see, please make a "I hate Remakes." thread or even better, blog it. I see you guys on The zelda remake and 3DS threads, saying the same thing. I think the members here got the point. Move on.

Anyway, anyone else have some games they would like to see?

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Male
  • Skullmanic:

So, I'm being told how and on what system to play my games? Seriously guys, this is not a "Explain why you hate remakes" thread. If you have nothing to add what you want to see, please make a "I hate Remakes." thread or even better, blog it. I see you guys on The zelda remake and 3DS threads, saying the same thing. I think the members here got the point. Move on.

Anyway, anyone else have some games they would like to see?

Uhh.... No. Failed argument.

We're talking about how the 3DS remakes are stupid, which falls under everything this thread is about. All this thread is pointless speculation anyway. I'll be surprised if its not locked soon.

RezHaz and I can have a field day on any of these 3DS threads and talk about how pointless we think remakes are however much we want. We're not breaking any rules, in fact, that's the whole point of an internet forum; to discuss.

We're all discussing the stupidity of the 3DS remakes. Which falls under your thread perfectly, and is entirely our opinion. If you don't like it, then close the thread. You made this thread to have people discuss 3DS games, and that's exactly what we are doing. If I were to post something completely off topic, you'd have the perfect opportunity to "Report Abuse" me.

Why shouldn't we talk about it? Nintendo is releasing new hardware, and the BEST thing they could come up with for launch titles were remakes, while 3rd parties make the original titles. It's ridiculous. It's definitely something that the average hard-headed gamer would actually care about.

Remakes are just a cash grab. Just remember that when you buy OoT for the 3DS. I'll be skipping out on it. I've gladly bought that game at least 3 times in my life time. The original will always be better.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • Remakes are still new games. I haven't bought a Wii and this will be my first time buying a remake. I can't hang out somewhere with a Wii or Nintendo 64 in my back pocket. This is a new option to take it where you go. Playing zelda on a road trip? That will be fun.

But, say, there is a two year old out there right now. In ten years he might be on a road trip. Maybe he wants to play the Zelda that first appeared on a 64. Unless they make portable Wiis, he is out of luck. This Zelda is new to him but not to us. It's only a remake to people who have played it. Why can't we get these very horrible "Remakes"  at a lower price? I don't know but I am sure there is nothing I can about it. Your talking to people and me, here on GIO that want to talk about games they love, like we are employees at Nintendo that can do something about this "Catastrophe".  lol

I'm not responsible for remakes and neither is the thread creators on GIO. So, complaining to people who love nintendo is generaly arguing with a wall. And calling us names wont win you any prizes.  If you don't like 'em, simply don't buy them.

"Hey son, you want to play ocarina at your friends house who doesn't have a Wii? Let's just un-hook it all and take it to their place and use their t.v. What? Just take the 3DS? Oh, that sounds a lot easier."

"Want to go to the park? Let's bring our T.V. and Nintendo 64 with us. Let's hope they have a plug- in." It's Nintendo's play- as- you go remakes.

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Male
  • No. Remakes are not new games. They're old games made shiny to look new. It would be like buying a used car, putting new paint on it and calling it a new car. It doesn't work like that.

I'm not saying you can't buy the game. That's totally up to you. RezHaz and I just believe that it's stupid. If OoT was never going to be remade for the 3DS, you wouldn't be saying all of this and we'd all be happy with a new Zelda game exclusively for the 3DS. We'd have nothing to say.

A two year old in 10 years wants to play OoT... dude, I beat OoT on the N64 when I was like 7, and that was 8 years ago. In 10 years, there's a good chance that we might be in the ninth generation of gaming with a whole new handheld. I have a good feeling this eighth generation might be a little short... I digress.

The Zelda may be new to him, but it doesn't matter. It was still remade and was originally on the N64. It's still a remake. By the time he's old enough to get the 3DS, there will probably be way better games out there that utilize the technology way better and more efficiently. I can easily see the OoT remake being covered in dust shortly after the release if it's not made right. I can't see how Nintendo will do it.

You're putting all kinds of words in our mouths and making us sound like a bunch of 12 year olds.

We never said you're responsible for remakes. Neither did we say anyone on GIO was. We're not complaining about the remakes, we're honestly stating that they are:

1. A waste of a studio

2. A waste of time

3. A quick cash grab

We're not calling anyone names, either. We're not talking to you like you're employees at Nintendo, we're expressing our honest opinion with intensive reasoning that actually makes sense.

Why would you go to your friends house to play OoT? You should play games you and your friend can play together. I've brought my Wii to my friend's house before and they've brought their 360's to mine. There's nothing wrong with that. You act like it's a sin to unhook a gaming system. Bringing the 3DS wouldn't help you out any better. What's your friend going to do? Sit there and watch you play OoT on your 3DS? One, that's not being a very good friend and two, that's just boring.

Why would you go to the park to play Ocarina of Time...? This baffles me. I would go to the park to go on a bike ride, chill on a swing set, play on the basketball court or go Frisbee golfing... I dunno about you.

The ignorance in your post is amazing. I don't even know how to fathom some of this.

The only thing in your post that I half agree with is the part about a road-trip and being able to play games then.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12