www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening

The Wii U's Future.

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 26 Replies |
  • 10 Followers
  • We all know that the Wii U at this point did not sell well, mostly likely because of the price of the console. Of course, history is repeating itself, as the 3DS has a similar issue. It doesn't look like gloom or doom, but something has to be drastic in order for Nintendo to win this one.

UPDATE: My info was totally out-of-date, and by no means did I meant to cause anything bad as this. So, hopefully this can now be a case-closed forum, and sorry for upsetting anyone in particular.

Jordan.

• lol really

Not sure if you are trolling, misinformed, or just delusional.  Okay if you just look at the raw numbers you will see that the Wii U sold 400,000 units over the black Friday weekend compared to 750,000 360s.  That seems bad till you take into account that the Wii U sold out basically everywhere.  The 400,000 units sold was the entire available stock.

We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

Steam - palor700   XBL - LooneyPilot   paxgaming.com

• The entire stock wasn't sold. There's still Wii U's available in alot of places. And Nintendo has not released how many Wii U's were shipped for that exact reason.

The numbers and it's doom or not doom I think is too early to tell

But the whole, "they sold everything they could" excuse is an extremely weak one

• Really a lot of places have Wii Us available?  And more than 4 or 5 of them?  No The Wii U did by far sell out on its release through cyber Monday.  Does not mean you could not find one, just means they were not readily available.  Then by process of elimination if sellers are out of stock that means that they sold what was shipped.

This does not mean Nintendo is not holding back stock to keep demand high, but it does mean that current stock is sold out (again for the most part).  

We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

• Again, they are readily available in a lot of places. In my christmas shopping around LA every store I went into had some. Best Buy had a full rack of them

• I guess we will need to agree to disagree.  I had 1 friend that was looking to get one last Monday or Tuesday and it too him like 8 stores to find one, and the one he got was preordered by someone else but they never picked it up (guessing they had no money down on it).  Heck GIO even did an article about how it was mostly sold out for release week.  You also have this but I guess the USA today could be lying to us.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2012/11/26/nintendo-wii-u-sales/1727191/

• GI did an article in which they looked for availability in random places and there were plenty on that list that still had them even though Nintendo had said they were completely sold out everywhere. USA today is again, just saying what Nintendo tells them.

It's a marketing strategy to try to force a demand. It's been around for ages. If you tell people there's none of something then when they see one they assume it's a lucky break and buy it. Unless Nintendo releases the number of units shipped, no one will be able to tell how far off they really are.

• You also have to consider that those were probably the white Wii U's witch most of the hard core fans would rather have a black one later then a white one sooner

• Frib on Fire:

GI did an article in which they looked for availability in random places and there were plenty on that list that still had them even though Nintendo had said they were completely sold out everywhere. USA today is again, just saying what Nintendo tells them.

It's a marketing strategy to try to force a demand. It's been around for ages. If you tell people there's none of something then when they see one they assume it's a lucky break and buy it. Unless Nintendo releases the number of units shipped, no one will be able to tell how far off they really are.

I know this might be difficult for you to comprehend, but there has been more than one shipment of Wii U consoles.  Just because they're in a store right now does not mean they aren't selling.  Nintendo is actually shipping more.

Can you believe Microsoft has been doing that this whole time?  That's right.  The Xbox 360's on store shelves were not part of the original shipment in 2005!

And this is less of a marketing strategy than you think.  Believe it or not (probably not), game consoles do not magically come together in seconds and ship to retailers a minute later.  They have to be mass produced, packaged, shipped to warehouses, then shipped to retailer warehouses/distribution centers, then shipped to retailers.  Every console maker wants high sales when they launch, so holding back the number of available consoles does not magically give them high sales.  

If a console launched and "sold out everywhere" and there were only 100,000 shipped, who cares?  Anyone can see that's not a hot commodity, it's just limited for whatever reason--the likely reason being manufacturing and shipping, which has to be done for every console and for many regions.  

This same conspiracy theory nonsense was uttered when the PS2 launched as well.  "They're deliberately limiting numbers to drive up demand."  Like the Wii U, the PS2 launched against nothing.  There was no reason to go through this complicated nonsense of deliberately limiting numbers--they were pretty much guaranteed to sell out their initial shipments.  As the Wii U has, as the PS2 did.  

We're talking about corporations here.  They'd prefer sales to "wanted sales" (aka, nothing) any day of the week. 

The only thing truly impacting launch sales and availability are the eBayers trying to make a buck off of ignorant early adopters--ignorant into thinking the consoles are somehow hard to find.  

The Wii actually wasn't that hard to find, for that matter.  I picked up the Wii during it's still "ultra-high demand" period (it's first 6 months or so), and it wasn't that hard.  I went into Best Buy, asked if they had any, asked if another Best Buy did, and drove to the Best Buy that did have Wii consoles in stock.  It wasn't all that difficult.

• Palor:

Really a lot of places have Wii Us available?  And more than 4 or 5 of them?  No The Wii U did by far sell out on its release through cyber Monday.  Does not mean you could not find one, just means they were not readily available.  Then by process of elimination if sellers are out of stock that means that they sold what was shipped.

This does not mean Nintendo is not holding back stock to keep demand high, but it does mean that current stock is sold out (again for the most part).  

If Nintendo is holding back stock, it's so that they have enough for other markets--it did just launch in Europe, you know.  Again, actual sales are better than "wanted sales."

Also, apparently the Wii U's US sales are pretty much in-line with the Wii's according to this article:  http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/26/nintendo-wii-u-first-week-sales/

The full "600,000" number that people have been throwing around was "all of the Americas" (US, Canada, Mexico, maybe some of Central America), and the current 400,000 sold Wii U consoles is just the US.

• JordanTheGamer:

We all know that the Wii U at this point did not sell well, mostly likely because of the price of the console. Of course, history is repeating itself, as the 3DS has a similar issue. It doesn't look like gloom or doom, but something has to be drastic in order for Nintendo to win this one.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/26/nintendo-wii-u-first-week-sales/

Looks to me like the Wii U sold pretty much on par with the Wii.

History does appear to be repeating itself--but more along the lines of how the Wii sold, not the 3DS.  However, it's only been out for two weeks.  It'd be outright irresponsible, if not plain stupid, to claim the console sold poorly or that it's repeating the 3DS (or Wii) launch when there hasn't been remotely enough time to actually step back and compare known numbers.  

What defines a successful launch for you? I guess the Xbox 360 was a real failure since it only sold about 326,000 units its first month (not week), and as for the Playstation 3... Well, it also sold well below the Wii U's numbers--and actual numbers aren't exactly easy to come by.  Turns out that Sony only managed to ship a little over half the original planned 400,000 to market by launch in the US.  

(Xbox 360 launch:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch)

Or was Sony deliberately holding back shipping consoles to artificially create demand?  Nah, as usual, turns out that manufacturing and shipping consoles is not a magical process that can be done in mere seconds.  Sony actually didn't have enough units to ship for launch.

• To be clear I dont think Nintendo is holding back stock.  it is possible, I have no way of knowing but I dont think it is happening.  As far back as I can remember (N64) Nintendo has always had issues with  keeping their consoles in stock early on.  Not 100% sold out, but they were always a bit hard to find in the first 90 days or so.  Rather than overproduce and be stuck sitting on a stock of them they would then need to pay taxes on they produce a safe number and then adjust production according to demand.

Now if I was going to speculate as to how well the Wii U is going to sell, I would guess by the end of its life cycle it will move roughly 75% of what the Wii did.  I think it will outsell Sony and Msofts next consoles but not as convincingly as the Wii.  I believe Nintendo is going to have issues getting a large amount of the "casual gamers" that purchased a Wii to jump on board with the Wii U.  I dont see people that mostly have a Wii just for Netflix, Wii Sports and maybe Just Dance, seeing a need for HD graphics and the gamepad.  That is just my prediction, better sales than the competition but not as good as the Wii sold.

• Skipping over the long, most likely pointless, rant by the guy that does nothing but search the internet for places to protect Nintendo.

And back to non crazy people.

Yeah I think it would be impossible for nintendo to just fail. As far as overall numbers who knows. Literally anything could happen in the next few years to affect numbers in ways that Nintendo has no control over.

The casual gamers are going to be a hit. My grandma, Aunt, and mom all have a wii but give them something with dual sticks and they don't want anything to do with it. The best think Nintendo can do right now to help push them higher is get some sort of exclusive on multiplatform games besides a touchscreen inventory. AC3 came with extra levels on PS3, Xbox has had their dlc exclusive windows. Something like that will draw in hardcore players alot faster to replace the casual losses.

• Frib on Fire:

Skipping over the long, most likely pointless, rant by the guy that does nothing but search the internet for places to protect Nintendo.

A failure to read is a failure to learn.  Fear of the ideas of others is evidence to the weakness of the opinions of yourself, for they are indeed so fragile and unsupportable, that you best avoid having them tested.

[snip: religion has no place in this argument. Avoid this in the future and please mind your tone- Orochi]

Many of us are willing to educate you, as you have routinely demonstrated that video games are something about which you know nothing--but only if you are smart enough to learn in the first place.

• Palor:

To be clear I dont think Nintendo is holding back stock.  it is possible, I have no way of knowing but I dont think it is happening.  As far back as I can remember (N64) Nintendo has always had issues with  keeping their consoles in stock early on.  Not 100% sold out, but they were always a bit hard to find in the first 90 days or so.  Rather than overproduce and be stuck sitting on a stock of them they would then need to pay taxes on they produce a safe number and then adjust production according to demand.

It's not just Nintendo, it's any company with a hotly anticipated console.  Sony experienced this big time with the PS2 as demand for it was extremely high--probably the highest of any console, ever.  Conversely, the GameCube did not set the world on fire with it's initial sales, nor any of it's sales afterwards (until it saw a brief spike when the price dropped to a hundred bucks).  

Hell, if ever Nintendo played this conspiracy theory-laden "artificial demand" game, the time to do it would've been with the GameCube--it's could've used some "artificial demand."  It staggered to market about a week after the original Xbox, and sold at a lukewarm pace.  I remember my Toys R Us still having several left at the end of the first day.  

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12