www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening

Nintendo 64

Answered (Verified) This question is answered
Verified Answer
  • In my opinion, the N64 is the weakest of Nintendo's home consoles. There just aren't enough great games that are still great today, especially in comparison to its predecessor, the mighty SNES. The only games I really like to revisit on the N64 are Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Ocarina/Majora, and Mario 64 (which hasn't aged remarkably well). I still will play the N64 from time to time, but early 3D gaming in general has not aged well at all. Only a few titles have stood the test of time, like those previously mentioned, and a few PS1 games, like Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear Solid, and Spyro.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
    Verified by
All Replies
  • Mario party is getting new versions every two or three years so that's enough for me. Mario 64 got a DS version with a few new levels and playable characters and even though I liked that game as much as anyone else I would prefer Nintendo to focus on new Mario plataformers like 3D Land and the next console one.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • In my opinion, the N64 is the weakest of Nintendo's home consoles. There just aren't enough great games that are still great today, especially in comparison to its predecessor, the mighty SNES. The only games I really like to revisit on the N64 are Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Ocarina/Majora, and Mario 64 (which hasn't aged remarkably well). I still will play the N64 from time to time, but early 3D gaming in general has not aged well at all. Only a few titles have stood the test of time, like those previously mentioned, and a few PS1 games, like Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear Solid, and Spyro.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
    Verified by
  • Aside from the Virtual Boy, I've always felt the N64 was by far the worst system Nintendo ever made.  It had the smallest library of any Nintendo console, and the quality titles on the system were limited almost entirely to titles from Nintendo and Rare. 

It was forward-thinking to find a way to smooth out the pixelation found in most games at the time (given the technology), but the anti-aliasing incorporated in the system instead gave the majority of the graphics on the system an ugly, muddy look that was often inferior to technically weaker systems like the Playstation.  

The lack of a CD-ROM drive managed to drive away most third party developers as cartridges cost a fortune to mass produce and had microscopic storage space compared to CD's at the time.  

The controller introduced the analog stick to modern gaming, and then Sony showed everyone how it should really be done.  

I was a full-blown Nintendo fan for years, but the N64 sucked.  That was the first era where I bought a second console--that being the Playstation.  It had some great, classic games, but it had very few of even those.  I almost stopped being a gamer during those days.  

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Male
  • Honestly i really agree with you on those aspects , i guess it is just consumer's choice.

I also compare game play to the new consoles and the older ones. The older generation game console we much more of a challenge due to their in experience in time and development. :) I have a hard time beat most of the games now on the old consoles , compared to the new  when i used to beat those like a piece of cake. Maybe it is because of the different styles of the controller's, Or maybe it is just the buttons on the controller's? Seems something is different  but i can not put my finger on it lol.

• Not Ranked
    • Female
  • The N64 goes down in my history as one of the greatest systems of all time. Yes it didnt have the biggest library when it comes to titles but it did have great titles that had endless replay value. Mario64 is a game that most credit as setting the stage for 3d gaming. Along with that you have Ocarina of time which is the greatest game ever. Goldeneye was amazing in the time before network gaming, I remember my brother, dad, and best friend would all play multiplayer on that game for hours. Starfox, Donkey kong, Mario Kart, and Pod Racers (which was re-released on star wars kinect recently) are some more great titles. Just like Turok. Really the N64 was a great console with great titles. If you get a 3ds you can play Mario64 (came out the Ds years back), Ocarina of Time 3D, StarFox 3d. But yeah, the N64 is great and while the playstation 1 was fun (I had them both) the N64 was better with more memories made with it. OH who could forget Rush and Rush 2, those games were great as well!

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • That would be sweet but there probably arent many people that would be willing ot play it

• Not Ranked
    • Male
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)