www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening

The **OFFICIAL** Wii U Thread

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 269 Replies |
  • 47 Followers
  • All these naysayers are bugging me so here are my thoughts.

"Its just another gimmick."

How so? The controler has the motion sensing of the Wii motion+, the touch screen of a tablet, and the tradtional controls of of the 360/PS3 all in one. Its not some gimmicky hardware meant to revelutionize gaming. Its a versitile tool for developers to make any kind  of game they want be it hardcore, casual or something artsy and in-between (think flower). I think this is exactly what the doctor ordered. The system can give the hardcore the games they want without completely alienating the casual market that Nintendo created.

"Where are the system specs/first-party games/online details?"

All things considered we have goten a crazy ammount of iformation for being so far from its release. Remember at this point in the Wii's life cycle  even third-party devs were in the dark. Outside of Nintendo few if any new more than what is shown in this video.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/05/10/nintendo-e3-2005-recap

"The graphics aren't better than what we have now. Why buy the system for games I can already Play on 360/PS3?"

So first off, all rumors/leaked info said it would barely be more powerful than the PS3, and as it has been proven many times this generation a less powerful system will run/look better when the software is optimized for it. Not to mention this system is alway going to be rendering at least 2 screens.

Secondly porting last gen games to current gen consoles is nothing new several early 360 titles were PS2/Gamecube ports.

Finally even though it sucks for a lot of reasons, with todays production costs very few third-party devs can afford to make exclusives and the ones that can usually don't cause they can make more money doing multi-platform. This means even if the Wii U can handle better graphics we won't see them (at least from third-party) until the PS4 and next Xbox come out.

"PS4 and the next Xbox are going to blow this away in 2014 and Nintendo will be obslete again."

Anything is possible, but I highly doubt that for many reasons. It might sound like it makes sense, but the facts don't support this theory at all. First off I have my doubts that the next jump in graphics is even going to be noticable. More power still means better graphics but we've hit a ceiling point where it takes a lot bigger of a jump in hardware to make a diference and the time/costs it takes to make those graphics are more than ever before.

Secondly though for two console generations the inferior console that launched first was the most succesful. The PS2 came out before the Gamecube/Xbox and was less powerfull, but it got more exclusive games and all multi-platform games were dumbed down enough to run on its weaker hardware, which in turn sold more systems. The Xbox 360 was the same way launching a year early with inferior hardware it got way more exclusives and multi-platform games were dumbed down and sometimes even optimized for it. The reason for this is the huge head start they got on install base. The development comunity will flock to the system that has the largest install base in order to make back their money. Once they had that head start they got more games which sold more systems which in turn got them more games cause a snowball effect.

If history repeats itself the Wii U will go the way of the PS2/360 and become the standard for the next generation.

"But the tech demo looked terrible, The Samaritan looked way better!"

This one make me laugh a little bit because when I show people side by side comparisons from that tech demo of new tech on/off they're pretty much never able to tell me which is supposedly better without captions telling them. So I don't even believe The Samaritan is that much better, but lets assume it is. That tech demo was running on not one but three extremely high end PC video cards. It could be a while before even one of those cards is affordable enough to avoid putting out a $600-$700 system much less three of them.

Microsoft beat out Sony  console sale with a less powerful system that was $100 cheaper and Nintendo beat them with a system that was $250 cheaper than that. And the economy didn't suck as bad back then. I imagine all three companies are being very cautious about the prices of their next systems. To be fair many of us kinda got tricked by Nintendo back then and we've gotten smarter now, but I still think people are over estimating how big the next jump will be.

"How much is that controler gonna cost? It looks expensive."

Yes it does at that. Though it isn't much more tech than a Wii Remote+ with a nunchuck (just a touch screen and battery) it still could be a bit pricy. What worries me more though is that the price of additional conrtolers might not be an issue. While reading the transcript of the latest Iwata Asks something stood out to me. After combing through marketing materials and press coverage of the tech demos I realized there's a lot of evidence suggesting that the Wii U can only handle one of its new controlers at a time and will require Wii Remotes for multiplayer games.

"The name is horrible."

Yes it is. Not only does it sound stupid, its causing tons of brand confusion amoungst hardcore gamers. If gamers can't even get this stuff straight can you imagine how bad it will be for the casual consumers that Nintendo is trying to hold onto?

There are my thoughts. I remain optimistic at this point, but back in 2005 I was excited for a system called the Revelution and we all know how that turned out.

• Well, I called it--no harddrive.  They'd better include a bigger SD card with the thing than they did with the 3DS.  

The smallish size of the system likely backs up rumors I've heard, and the theory I've had that the system will be, technologically, in the same generation as the Xbox360 and PS3--namely because the system isn't physically large enough to house some incredible new tech, but more inline to house streamlined "same tech" as the X360 and PS3.  Also, Nintendo hasn't released any specifics on the GPU or CPU.  Hmmmmmmmmm.....

I'm digging the controller and the massive 3rd party support, but I wonder if it's going to be too little too late.  A lot of bonafide hardcore gamers like myself have already switched to Xbox or Playstation for our hardcore 3rd party gaming.  I'm inclined to continue my hardcore gaming on the Xbox360 for now, and I hope that Nintendo can manage some unique 3rd party exclusives--kinda like Deadly Creatures, Muramasa, etc. were on the Wii.  Then of course, there are the idiot Nintendo fanboys who never support hardcore or 3rd party gaming on Nintendo's systems.  So, awesome to see such a selection of 3rd party games announced, but a shame that Nintendo fans will just find reasons to whine and complain and not buy the games. 

I was wrong on them keeping the Wii moniker, but I completely get what they're doing and I agree with it completely.  They've found a way to maintain their Wii controllers and peripherals, and a way to expand what can be done with them moving into the future.  My girlfriend says the name sounds like Wii U sounds like someone with a speech impediment playing Street Fighter.  "I'm gonna use Wii-U an' figh Ken."

With no word on price, however, I still feel this thing is going to be ridiculously expensive, especially the controllers.  And if Nintendo is smart, they'll continue including games with the system as they have with the DSi XL, Wii, and 3DS.  

Again, though--I like it, and amazingly, Nintendo managed to pull another golden egg out of their butt.  I'm thrilled to see how this gets used.

As per Nintendo's press conference--I was immensely disappointed to not see Pikmin 3, Xenoblade, Last Story, or Pandora's Tower.  Apparently the only things coming to the Wii this year are Zelda and a new Kirby game.

• It's only been a day.  I think we all need to take a step back and let this thing breathe a little.  I'm a huge fan of the big N, and will probably buy any console they make so I can get the exclusives, but I'm also objective.  I think we should just walk along with the bandwagon for now and let time tell if it's a gimmick we should walk away from or something game changing.  It's all going to ride on what the developers do with it.  Imagine some of the uses though.

• Phaizran:

"The name is horrible."

Yes it is. Not only does it sound stupid, its causing tons of brand confusion amoungst hardcore gamers. If gamers can't even get this stuff straight can you imagine how bad it will be for the casual consumers that Nintendo is trying to hold onto?

There are my thoughts. I remain optimistic at this point, but back in 2005 I was excited for a system called the Revelution and we all know how that turned out.

The name is kinda silly, but not horrible.  It's no more ridiculous than iPad or Move or 3DS or Kinect or DSi or Vita or, well, just look around you these days.  Everything is getting quirky naming these days.

And it's not going to be all that confusing.  The only hardcore gamers even remotely likely to be confused by this are those that know next to nothing about Nintendo anyway.  They don't know, they don't care, so it doesn't matter if they actually manage to be confused.

And Revolution was a codename and we all knew it--it was stupid to get excited for it and then be all whiney when that wasn't the name of the final product.  We didn't get all excited for "Dolphin" did we?

• RezidentHazard (rides again):

The name is kinda silly, but not horrible.  It's no more ridiculous than iPad or Move or 3DS or Kinect or DSi or Vita or, well, just look around you these days.  Everything is getting quirky naming these days.

And it's not going to be all that confusing.  The only hardcore gamers even remotely likely to be confused by this are those that know next to nothing about Nintendo anyway.  They don't know, they don't care, so it doesn't matter if they actually manage to be confused.

And Revolution was a codename and we all knew it--it was stupid to get excited for it and then be all whiney when that wasn't the name of the final product.  We didn't get all excited for "Dolphin" did we?

The 3DS caused a lot of brand confusion too. I wouldn't be surprised if people still didn't understand that its a new system not another redesign.

As for the second part, I didn't make it clear enough that that was a closing statement to sum up my oppinion on the system overall, my bad . I wasn't refering to the code name change I was refering to how the system code named Revelution ended being a casual gaming mess that alienated Nintendo's fans.

• Phaizran:

The 3DS caused a lot of brand confusion too. I wouldn't be surprised if people still didn't understand that its a new system not another redesign.

As for the second part, I didn't make it clear enough that that was a closing statement to sum up my oppinion on the system overall, my bad . I wasn't refering to the code name change I was refering to how the system code named Revelution ended being a casual gaming mess that alienated Nintendo's fans.

Actually, the Nintendo fanboys didn't abandon the Wii, like any Nintendo system, they remained the biggest supporters, hence the ridiculous sales of all the unnecessary Mario-branded crap.  

I'm no fanboy of Nintendo (maybe Metroid and Contra), and I enjoyed the Wii, but I became a huge Xbox360 fan because I wanted the hardcore games.  The Wii still had them, and I supported a many of them.  But I wanted BioShock and Dead Space and Left 4 Dead, etc.

Nintendo didn't alienate their fans, they catered too heavily to them with all the Mario crap.  And they certainly didn't lose them.

• "

•  

""   My girlfriend says the name sounds like Wii U sounds like someone with a speech impediment playing Street Fighter.  "I'm gonna use Wii-U an' figh Ken."

sadly thats just about the 1st thing i thought of when he said the name

" Nintendo didn't alienate their fans, they catered too heavily to them with all the Mario crap.  And they certainly didn't lose them."

being a fan of nintendo i didn't feel catered to at all aside from what you expect from them being marrio zelda n what not i didn't really like anything they had  wii sports was stupid wii play sucked along with wii music wii fit while works isn't a game wii party sucked  compared to mario party

but yeah i'd say the wii had bad - horrible games mostly with a few gems even by nintendo. so i don't think they catered to there fans i think they looked to get more ppl and they bought it look at how many old ppl  n old folks homes like wii  thats the ppl they got i think most games on it were for little kids :/

• The new Nintendo controller is all about possibilities.  The success of the system is going to hinge on developers using the controller in new and interesting ways to enhance the experience of their games.  Use this thread to show your ideas for what developers can do with this new technology.  Maybe your idea will find it's way to the right developer's screen and lead to a new innovation in game play.

• Here were some of mine to start.

Any game with an inventory/backpack:  change equipment and use items on the fly without pausing the game.

Mass Effect 3 or other RPGs:  Abilities are mapped to "hot key" like buttons on the screen so you can fling spells and abilities easily.  Party member portraits are on the side for easy targeting of buffs.

Racing games:  Plug the controller into a zapper like steering wheel and you have instant access to a permanent track map and rear view mirror.

RTS games:  A minimap to zoom your view around, not to mention more customizable "hot key" buttons for unit groups.  Motion controls pan and zoom the TV view.

A Mario game where items are stored in a box on the screen and you can "fling" them out onto the level.

Last but not least:

Metroid first person game:  Use the screen on the controller as Samus' visor, letting you do all the scanning by moving the controller to look around the level.

• I have no problems with the controller and I'm sure that Nintendo will have some suprises in the future that will turn heads. However, I probably won't buy the Wii U (sounds vaugely like an emergency vehicle siren sound) until I see some Retro Studios love. Anything Retro is an instant system seller for me... which is why I didn't have much Wii buyer's remorse (or 3DS, now I see that they're assisting in the development of Mario Kart. DKCR-based tracks?).

I can see it now - Retro with the best artists around, showing once and for all that Wii U is the new standard of console graphics (this is a daydream, not a prediction). Granted, I'm no graphics fiend, but the more powerful the Wii U is, the more beautiful a game Retro could create. Ahhh...

Smash Bros. 4 thrills me, but I might just stick to the 3DS version and save $300+. Pikmin 3 sound interesting, but I never really got into the series (although Pikmin 2 was fun).

Above all, I'm excited for when I'm (finally!) getting Wi-Fi later this year. The wait is killer. If I want to update my 3DS, I have to go to (ugh) McDonalds.

This signature will remain unchanged until I stop going insane.

• styx971:

""   My girlfriend says the name sounds like Wii U sounds like someone with a speech impediment playing Street Fighter.  "I'm gonna use Wii-U an' figh Ken."

sadly thats just about the 1st thing i thought of when he said the name

" Nintendo didn't alienate their fans, they catered too heavily to them with all the Mario crap.  And they certainly didn't lose them."

being a fan of nintendo i didn't feel catered to at all aside from what you expect from them being marrio zelda n what not i didn't really like anything they had  wii sports was stupid wii play sucked along with wii music wii fit while works isn't a game wii party sucked  compared to mario party

but yeah i'd say the wii had bad - horrible games mostly with a few gems even by nintendo. so i don't think they catered to there fans i think they looked to get more ppl and they bought it look at how many old ppl  n old folks homes like wii  thats the ppl they got i think most games on it were for little kids :/

I was going to respond to this, but then I realized that you lack the ability to organize your thoughts into print form because I can't understand a freakin' bit of your post.  

But then, since you evidentially lack basic writing skills, your post probably didn't contain a whole lot to spur an intelligent conversation anyway.

• TGM:

I have no problems with the controller and I'm sure that Nintendo will have some suprises in the future that will turn heads. However, I probably won't buy the Wii U (sounds vaugely like an emergency vehicle siren sound) until I see some Retro Studios love. Anything Retro is an instant system seller for me... which is why I didn't have much Wii buyer's remorse (or 3DS, now I see that they're assisting in the development of Mario Kart. DKCR-based tracks?).

I believe Retro Studios was the first developer to have the Wii U development kit.  So they've been working on something for a while.  

• Ugh, people need to stop saying "Metroid Prime 4."  There is little chance of a "Metroid Prime 4."  The Prime series was a trilogy taking place between Metroid 1 and Metroid II, and with the death of Dark Samus, which was a creature formed from the lifeform known as Metroid Prime, the series is over.  It was a trilogy built around Phazon, the Metroid Prime, and Dark Samus.  

Hopefully, Retro is making a brand new Metroid game and, while I doubt it will happen, I'd prefer them to make a game erasing Other M from the continuity.  If nothing else, I'd be happy to see Retro given free reign to make whatever the hell they want.

• @Palor

I think you're talking the Watson comment too seriously. It's using the same technology as the Watson supercomputer, not the same hardware. There's a significant difference. I have no idea what the technology the Watson computer has, or what the chipsets were designed for, and either way, it's still a custom IBM multi-core 45nm microprocessor. Also, we've heard multiple rumors saying that it's a tri-core processor.

The biggest difference between the Watson and the Wii U would be the number of processors and cores available to it. The Watson only uses that many cores and processors so it can handle so much information at any given time. That goes for any processor. The faster the processor, and the more cores you have, the more memory that can be processed at any given time. Technically, what is a video game? A mass computation program. Games are filled with codes, processes, information, and all that. I don't mean to generalize, but all processors pretty much do the same exact thing, they just function at different speeds and in different ways.

A quick search tells me that the Wii U's GPU is a Custom-designed AMD Radeon HD GPU. (Source:www.marketwire.com/.../amd-nintendo-join-forces-creating-new-way-enjoy-console-gaming-entertainment-nyse-amd-1523972.htm)

The rumor is 8 GB for HDD Flash memory. For me, that seems like it's enough memory. I don't download videos or any stupid things like that to waste memory. My current 1GB SD card isn't even filled yet, maybe half full, but still. My Wii's memory is about 3/4, all game saves. So I'm okay with that. I'm not a multimedia freak anyway.

@RezHaz

I was very disappointed in the name. It doesn't make sense. They're much better off calling it Wii 2 or Wii HD, honestly. Taking a spin on that like they did with the DS systems doesn't work. At least the DS to the DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL and 3DS have legitimate, understandable meanings and upgrades. Maybe not so much with the DSi, but they still make more sense than Wii U.

It sounds too much like Ryu, assuming people say it ree-yoo, but I've always said rye-you... Anyway... it's late...

Currently playing: Modern Warfare 2, Resident Evil 5, New Vegas, Halo Reach, Bulletstorm

Add me on XBL: Pyr0CheeZeCake (that's a zero)

The Freeman Returns 2012. I'll give it hope for another year...

Page 2 of 18 (269 items) 12345»