www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

The **OFFICIAL** Wii U Thread

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 269 Replies |
  • 47 Followers
  • So yep, here it is. No need for anymore Wii HD, Wii 2 or Wii whatever threads! Post it all here!

Technical Specs:

(Updated 6/23/2012)

Processors:

• CPU: IBM Power-based multi-core processor
    • GPU: Custom AMD Radeon-based High Definition GPU
    • The Wii U CPU is designed by IBM. It is described by IBM as an "all-new, Power-based microprocessor", the processor is a multi-core design manufactured at 45 nm with an eDRAM cache. Although neither Nintendo nor IBM has revealed detailed specifications, such as the number of cores, clock rate, or cache sizes, references to the chip containing "a lot" of eDRAM and "the same processor technology found in Watson" indicate that the processor shares some characteristics with IBM's POWER7 processor, which powers the Watson computer system and incorporates a large L3 eDRAM cache.

Storage:

• 8 GB Internal flash memory, expandable via SD memory cards and USB hard disk drives
    • Slot-loading optical disc drive compatible with 12 cm "proprietary high-density optical discs" (25GB per layer) and 12 cm Wii optical discs

Ports and peripheral capabilities:
    • SD memory card slot (supports SDHC cards)
    • USB 2.0 ports (2 at front of console, 2 at rear)
    • Sensor Bar power port
    • "AV Multi Out" port
    • HDMI 1.4 out port (explained below under Video)
    Wii U GamePad:
    • Built-in 3-axis accelerometer and 3-axis gyroscope
    • Speakers and Microphone
    • Front-facing camera
    • IR Sensor strip
    • 6.2 inch (15.7 cm) 16:9 resistive touchscreen
    • Two clickable analog sticks and one D-pad
    • Stylus
    • Select, Start, Home and Power buttons
    • A/B/X/Y face buttons, L/R bumper buttons and ZL/ZR trigger buttons
    • Rumble
    • Controller sync button
    • Bluetooth
    • Near Field Communication

Note: The Wii U is also compatible with the Wii Remote Plus, Wii Nunchuk, Classic Controller, and the Wii Balance Board. It has been announced through Nintendo Network that the Wii Remote Plus will still be used not only for Wii games, but as a new way to combine it with the experience brought by the tablet controller.

Video:

• 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i output standard 4:3 and 16:9 anamorphic widescreen.
    • Compatible with HDMI, component, S-video and composite cables
    • HDMI 1.4 out port supporting stereoscopic 3D images.

Audio

• AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI

Will be backwards compatible with the Wii and Wii controllers!

Other rumored specs:

May support two tablet controllers

Whether or not Wii owners will be able to transfer their WiiWare and/or Virtual Console titles to the Wii U is unknown.

Currently playing: Modern Warfare 2, Resident Evil 5, New Vegas, Halo Reach, Bulletstorm

Add me on XBL: Pyr0CheeZeCake (that's a zero)

The Freeman Returns 2012. I'll give it hope for another year...

• I'm still on the fence with the controller....that's something I'm gonna have to tst drive first.

• looks sweet i can't wait to see more games but they did great so far i think from 3rd  party  think it already has more than wii did that i wanted just gotta pick what version now :/

• I like it, I hated the wii but this looks interesting

... I never asked for this.

• @Sarin VX

I know how you're feeling about the controller. I also find it odd that the analog sticks are above the buttons. Not so bad for the D-Pad side, but I've never held a controller with the right analog stick above the primary buttons.

Currently playing: Modern Warfare 2, Resident Evil 5, New Vegas, Halo Reach, Bulletstorm

• Where did you get the info on those specs?  Usually they would announce them during the conference but I figured they didn't because they wanted more time to decide what to include.

• Wikipedia, and the specs were announced, actually.

• IDK, because it is Nintendo people will blindly defend it.  At the same time they are somewhat justified since it will be the only HD console with some of our favorite IPs.  I look at that controller and think it is nothing I want to hold for 2 hours playing the next Assassins Creed or Metro or well most anything.  Granted I have not held it yet but I can imagine what holding a tablet pc with handles would feel like.  

My biggest concern is the timing of it with the technology.  Sony has said it is working on a new system, and it seems fair to say Microsoft has one on the horizon.  Even if these systems are 3 years out that is 2014, we are not getting this till next year, so we are at best talking 2-3 years before Nintendo is behind on tech again.  What happens then, more 2nd hand gimped ports?

A smaller concern is its network.  My friends and I live all over the country, some of them over seas.  We cant sit down and game on the same tv, we need a solid online experience to play together.  So far I have no faith that Nintendo can accomplish this.  Here is hoping for the best but reserving judgement till I get my hands on it.

We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

Steam - palor700   XBL - LooneyPilot   paxgaming.com

• Take a look at what I've said regarding the Wii U's hardware in the other threads regarding this, it's almost a stepping stone to the next generation. It's putting Nintendo slightly ahead.

Also, the technology is a lot different now. I think next generations consoles will produce better graphics, but the Wii U will still produce graphics comparable to the next consoles. I also believe that instead of being 4 times as powerful, the next systems might come out being 1.5 to 2 times as powerful as the Wii U, leaving a much lower technology gap, and rendering the system less useless and outdated.

• It should be interesting to see what happens.  I don't think Microsoft and Sony really want to release a new console because it's expensive to take that risk.  But, should they release something next year just to stay ahead of Nintendo?  It should be interesting.

• I have read it.  Now starting off you got it off Wikipedia, so 70% chance it is true or not, but I will give you that it is.  Watson had 90 8 core 3.5 ghz processors.  8 core processors are still very crazy expensive, I am talking like $1600 I find it hard to believe they are getting that.  More likely they are getting the toned down quad core processor, seems plausible still expensive but plausible.  My concern comes from what these chipsets are designed for.  They are designed for mass data server, IE cloud servers, and mass computations programs.  It sounds great and it may be.  I have never seen a cpu of this design try to handle gaming, it may be like hunting rabbits with an elephant gun.  It may just make a mess.   

GPU, nowhere does it mention what it is using for this.  Yes they tells us what it is capable of outputting but not what is driving it. Perhaps the processor has that much left over that they have the CPU driving both.   It is a possibility, but it was learned a long time ago that it is inefficient to bog down your core processor with rendering.  

Let’s continue on, no internal HDD only flash memory.  So what are we talking here, 16 gigs, maybe 32?  Yes it is expandable, that is a great feature I hope Sony and Microsoft adapt, but it is rather crappy for on board.  If I want to take my Wii U somewhere I need to take along an external hd?  Again I hope the system is great and blows my mind but there are some major gaps here.  Using a processor for something it isn’t designed for, no info on GPU, and lacking storage. All means I will be waiting to see how it turns out.

We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

Steam - palor700   XBL - LooneyPilot   paxgaming.com

• to me, this is another gimmick like the wii that will get old fast. i dont want a massive controller with a touch screen that does all that. i want a simple controller with buttons and that's it. i'm not sure how many more of nintendo's gimmicks i can take.

• I can't get behind this.  Can someone tell me who the target audience is?  How much is that ridiculous controller gonna cost?  (I'm guessing $249.99)  Does Nintendo really expect a family of 5 to buy one of those for each member?  How is a 10 year old kid with tiny hands gonna hold that thing?

I was expecting to see a console that makes people want to put their 360's and PS3's in the closet.  I agree with what Palor said.  By the time Microsoft and Sony release a new consle this one is further back in technology than the Wii was compared to the 360 and PS3.  All I see is Gamecube-Gameboy connectivity crap all over again.

GI's unofficial MMA Blogger!  Check it out!

• I definitely think it looks interesting to say the least, but I really would like to see some more of it before I get a solid opinion on it. I really like the idea behind it though, but the controller does have me thinking it may be a bit clunky.

• while it is kinda gimmicky i don't think its on the same level as the wiimotes were  i mean the ds is a good handheld if you think about it the controllers just a bigger version of the bottom half plus the 2 sticks its got all the stuff regulat controllers have so its not like its missing anything and then extra. so its not like   (assuming they are getting 3rd parties now like there pres conference said along with a couple devs er publishers said on gt interviews)  that we can't play our usual games on it.

that being said at least i think we wont weel like we wasted a bunch of money just cause we wanna play a new zelda and mario ect   . i know thats why i bought a wii and it collects dust

Page 1 of 18 (269 items) 12345»