www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

The **OFFICIAL** Wii U Thread

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 269 Replies |
  • 47 Followers
  • I'm not too excited by that news personally. If I wanted apps, I'd use an iphone.

• Having apps on the Wii U tablet makes sense, but an e-reader seems like a bit of a stretch considering that the tablet controller will not function independent of the Wii U console. I'd be interested to see how this pans out.

• @ Marco Polo

My thoughts exactly. It seems like it would fail. Hopefully there will be more to it than what we've heard.

• JC:

@ Marco Polo

My thoughts exactly. It seems like it would fail. Hopefully there will be more to it than what we've heard.

I don't think it would necessarily fail.  If Nintendo ends up able to offer, say, a Kindle app so people can read books on the Wii U tablet, then it'll be easy for them power on the system, leave the TV off, and to sit back and read a book on the tablet controller for an evening bundled up in a recliner with a coffee.  

Cliche' scenario, but why wouldn't that work?

• *Sigh* Let's all put our thinking caps on for just a quick second. Since Nintendo has the intentions of making the Wii U controller as a eReader, it will clearly and obviously have the capabilities to operate independently from the Wii console itself. I'm sure Nintendo has the technology to create an independent mobile handheld device...

Jon Harrison

• Actually, the controller does NOT have the capabilities to operate independently from the Wii U. That's why this is a little strange.

• (sigh) @Jonathan Harrison, take a few moments to read all the spec info for the Wii U on either GI or IGN. the tablet controller does not operate independently from the console. It only streams from the console. So you can't say... take your favorite Wii U game with you on a road trip just playing on the tablet. Otherwise, the table controller would be nothing more than a huge single screen DS.

• Well obviously you won't be able to play Wii U games on the go. Since the Wii U has not released yet, it is still subject to changes.

Also, IF it will only have streaming capabilities, I don't see why you would think an eReader would be a bad idea since the controller won't be leaving the house.

Jon Harrison

• Subject to change? I guess it could change, but that's extremely unlikely.

• @ Jon Harrison

It's not that I think that the tablet would be a "bad" idea as an e-reader, but perhaps it is not practical. I mean, it would be a nice perk. Extra features always are nice, but I simply can't see someone saying "Hmmmm, I feel like reading that new John Grisham novel." , and then breaking out the tablet controller.

For one thing, the tablet looks like it's a bit on the heavyside. People complained about the original Xbox's controller being too big. What will they say of this tablet? Don't get me wrong. I'm not against the idea. But, like I said before, " the tablet controller as an e-reader may be just a bit too much.

• Having the controller as a usable eReader shouldn't be much of a problem especially since the ON button is on the controller like all the consoles nowadays.

Looks can be deceiving. I doubt the controller would be heavier than a DS XL. Lol

I'm sure whatever Nintendo decides to do, it will work out for the good. Are Wii Remotes compatible with the Wii U?

Jon Harrison

• Jonathan Harrison:

Well obviously you won't be able to play Wii U games on the go. Since the Wii U has not released yet, it is still subject to changes.

Also, IF it will only have streaming capabilities, I don't see why you would think an eReader would be a bad idea since the controller won't be leaving the house.

I sincerely doubt that the streaming thing is subject to change.  Think about it:  For it to change, the tablet would have to undergo severe redesign which would require adding hardware to it so that it can function on it's own.  It would need it's own internal system hardware (like a DS or iPod or other tablet) to then run any software for anything "on the go."  As it is now, the only hardware inside it is the screen itself, motion control gyros, speakers, Blue-tooth streaming software/hardware and agenerally standard controller circuit board.  

What you're claiming is "subject to change" would require going back to the drawing board to stuff a CPU, GPU, and RAM into the thing, along with a duplicate Wii U (or specifically designed controller-based) operating system.  And if the Wii U tablet can just double as a fully portable game system, then what's the point in Nintendo even having the 3DS?

The Wii U is typically complete where hardware is concerned, with the exception that they may ramp up RAM or something like that.  What they're most likely doing now is tweaking the final product, building dev kits that represent the final form of the console, developing the operating system and cleaning out the bugs.  Hopefully, part of the final tweaking will be to allow at least 2 tablet controllers per system, and to ensure that they actually make the tablets affordable. 

The eReader is a good idea because, for one thing, Wii U will (likely) be offering something Sony and Microsoft won't be, at least for the next two years, plus it'll be a comfortable familiarity for customers, where tablets are concerned.  If they're smart enough to develop some kind of Kindle or Nook app for the Wii U, hopefully they'll transition a portable version of said app to the 3DS.  Such a thing would give them a nice advantage.  Neither Sony nor Microsoft offer eReader technology in their current machines.

• Marco Polo:

@ Jon Harrison

It's not that I think that the tablet would be a "bad" idea as an e-reader, but perhaps it is not practical. I mean, it would be a nice perk. Extra features always are nice, but I simply can't see someone saying "Hmmmm, I feel like reading that new John Grisham novel." , and then breaking out the tablet controller.

For one thing, the tablet looks like it's a bit on the heavyside. People complained about the original Xbox's controller being too big. What will they say of this tablet? Don't get me wrong. I'm not against the idea. But, like I said before, " the tablet controller as an e-reader may be just a bit too much.

The problem with the original giant dinner plate Xbox controllers wasn't that they were big, it was that they were bulky and uncomfortable to hold.  Also, the originaly ABXY buttons were oval-shaped rather than round, so they felt a little weird compared to typical game controllers, and the black and white buttons were both weird and awkwardly placed.  Size wasn't the problem, design was.

So far, everyone who's used the Wii U tablet has said good things about it's comfort, with the exception that the analog nubs are grossly inferior to a typical analog stick.  I hope Nintendo fixes that, by which I mean, get rid of the nubs, put the freakin' sticks back.

• All true everyone. I can't wait for its release. I love the feel of sticks as opposed to nubs. It just feels more traditional. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Jon Harrison

• I CAN'T TELL IF LINK IS A KID OR AN ADULT, CAN ANYONE HELP ME HERE?

Noahpickle101

Page 14 of 18 (269 items) «1213141516»