www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

Create/Edit Post
Write your reply below. Click the "Post" button to submit your message.
  • A kiddie platform is probably the wrong term.  To me Nintendo has a bit of an identity issue when it comes to many "hardcore gamers"  Think Xbox, what do you think of, Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable, and a few others.  Think Playstation and you think of Uncharted, God of War, Resistance, Kill Zone, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo and such.

Then think Nintendo, what comes to mind?  Obviously Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Starfox, etc.  Now you look at all 3 clearly 1 of those has more family friendly franchises.  A second issue Nintendo has had this last generation was sadly the performance of the system.  If you look at the main gaming market, that has a disposable income to purchase games you are probably looking at 16-25 year old, mostly males.  

Now if you take this same primary purchasing market and offer them 2 consoles, one of them is going to offer you games like (lets say the PS3) God of War, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Mass Effect, Dark/Demon Souls, Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead, Elder Scrolls, Fallout...etc.  The 2nd console is going to offer you All the great Mario games, Zeldas, Smash brothers, Metroid, Donkey Kong, and so on.  Seems to me very likely that this same group of 16-25 year old males are going to go with the console that provides them with the....more mature rated games if you will.  Especially when you add in the multiplayer factor and give them voice chat and such to take out there testosterone driven rage.

The way I see it the quickest way for Nintendo to drop the "kiddie" titles is to ensure their consoles offer enough power that many of the top selling third party games dont pass them over.  if I could play Mario, and Battlefield on the same console it would be an instant buy for me.  This is where I am concerned with the Wii U.  If they are making profits off the console after 1 game sale (especially when you take into account the increased production cost of the controller and a proprietary disk format) then I am worried that when we see our Nextboxes and PS4 the Wii U is again going to be a 1/2 generation or so behind in terms of tech.  If rumors turn out to be true the Nextbox is going to have 4X the memory and processing power of the Wii U (if this is actually the Wii U processor en.wikipedia.org/.../Espresso_%28microprocessor%29 )

Sadly to me it seems like in 3 or 4 years if you want to play both top end 3rd party games and Nintendo exclusives you will need 2 consoles again.

•