www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

What's Happening

Metroid 3DS

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 37 Replies |
  • 14 Followers
  • I know that everyone seems to have hated Other M.  I am wondering with the level of graphics and simplified control scheme, how much better that game would have translated to a handheld?

We all love Metroid games, but have certain expectations for a console release.

What would you like to see in Metroid on the 3DS?

Disregard Zelda, acquire triforce.

• nintendo3dsblog.com/surprise-announcement-at-nintendo-3ds-preview-event-on-january-19th-new-metroid-game

'Nuff said. ;)

^She's reacting to my posts! 

Check out some of my songs! https://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelCoversPony/videos

• Cool link, except it doesn't really say anything. Just someones twitter guessing.

I would like to see something where they blend the 3d mode of Other M with a similar play style as well as some cool moments and gameplay like super metroid, but with a more modern feel. ( like DKC returns).

• i would like to see online play.

• What I would like to see is another hunters game, I loved that game to death.

VGlounge.com

• I don't know, fusion was amazing, I was wondering why they didn't make a continuance of that 2d style.

KAMINA-01-1.jpg Kamina image by lokwokcheung Suda51 Group

• People may want to start throwing rotten fruit at me, but I liked Metroid Other M. I know the story was kinda sketchy, and Samus came off as a pansy, but the game was different and that's not always a bad thing. Otherwise, I liked the DS Metroid Hunters game, but would love with the better graphics and more control to see more of a Prime like game, with way more ambiance and wildlife to the world.

• What I really, really, REALLY want is for the next Metroid game to rewrite Other M out of the continuity.  And to be made by Retro Studios again.

Repainting Ninja Gaiden with Metroidy graphics was epic fail through and through.  Modern Ninja Gaiden games are shallow and repetitive enough without being transformed into a so-dumbed-down-it's-retarded version of a Metroid game.

• Honestly, I have been playing Metroid since since 89' and I thought Other M was a great game. I thought the story was alright considering it the first outing, the combat was better than any other Metroid game..

My beef with this game, fusion and the prime trilogy, is that you can't get lost. There is always a guide, telling you where to go, what to shoot etc...

I find it interesting that people think that Other M is going away from the roots of what Metroid is and should be. For all those Prime fanboys, I think the trilogy was good, but its barely Metroid, it was made for a different generation and a different generation loves it. I never felt really alone, the enemies weren't dangerous. They got the environments right and the music right. But Other M got the combat and gameplay right.

I want the next Metroid to be a true super Metroid style game, not this detective adventure crap that was in prime with the hand-holding guide. I don't find a sense of being lost and alone on an alien planet when every time I find an item the game opens up the map and shows me directly where to go.  I want Primes environment and music, Other M's Combat, and Super Metroids style of story and scope of the world.

• I think you are dead on. there really isn't a metroid game I don't like. But I honestly liked the prime trilogy the least. I looooved the music and hated the music in other m. Gameplay wise though, other M had me hooked.

I would have felt that Samus was a bad ass if it wasn't for the backstory. Arm cannon to the face?! hell yes.

• kerrigan marois:

Honestly, I have been playing Metroid since since 89' and I thought Other M was a great game. I thought the story was alright considering it the first outing, the combat was better than any other Metroid game..

My beef with this game, fusion and the prime trilogy, is that you can't get lost. There is always a guide, telling you where to go, what to shoot etc...

I find it interesting that people think that Other M is going away from the roots of what Metroid is and should be. For all those Prime fanboys, I think the trilogy was good, but its barely Metroid, it was made for a different generation and a different generation loves it. I never felt really alone, the enemies weren't dangerous. They got the environments right and the music right. But Other M got the combat and gameplay right.

I want the next Metroid to be a true super Metroid style game, not this detective adventure crap that was in prime with the hand-holding guide. I don't find a sense of being lost and alone on an alien planet when every time I find an item the game opens up the map and shows me directly where to go.  I want Primes environment and music, Other M's Combat, and Super Metroids style of story and scope of the world.

You must not have played the Prime games at all--especially the first two since they are a million times more "Metroid" than the cliche-ridden button-mash disaster of Other M.  There was no hand-holding in those first two games and getting lost, while not exactly easy was very much possible.  Scratch that--getting lost in Prime 2 was the norm.  But, since Super Metroid, getting lost isn't such a big deal because all the games have maps now.  The only games one can truly get lost in are the first two since they have no map system and, for that matter on Metroid II, no real graphical differences between areas. 

Other M got the combat all wrong (along with just about everything else).  Metroid was never a run-n-gun action game.  Metroid was a platformer based on solitary exploration--something missing in Other M completely with it's brain-dead "Ninja Gaiden with an auto gun" gameplay. 

Having recently finished another mess, Ninja Gaiden II, I can say that Team Ninja is one of the companies that is everything wrong with video games.  I could give you a huge list of the worst cliches in modern gaming, or I can just point to Ninja Gaiden II and it's even more broken clone, Metroid Other M.  Dreadful, immature and predictable storytelling, hollow brainless button-mash gameplay, asinine characters, unbalanced (or punishing) difficulty, etc, etc, etc. 

Never felt alone in Prime?  Enemies not dangerous?  Are you serious?  No, you can't be.  NO ONE is that naive.  The Prime games, especially the first one and much of the second, left Samus alone with limited information to guide her in absolutely massive, drop-dead gorgeous environments that were rife with life, depth, and activity.  Every nook and cranny could be studied and explored.  Secrets and buried items had to be sought and earned.  It featured some of the most detailed and gamer-focused exploration imaginable.  Alone with a world that was all up to you, and the environments were alive with alien lifeforms, Space Pirates, phazon and activity galore. 

Other M, on the other hand, featured no exploration, and you were certainly never alone.  The ham-fisted cliche "Space Marine" group was ever-present always telling you were to go, what to do, and constantly saving Samus Aran from relatively minor situations given what she's dealt with in the past.  The combat is now the most brainless run-n-gun gameplay ever that doesn't even require aiming.  All suit upgrades are hollow victories since none of them are new and "she had them the whole time." (STUPID STUPID STUPID!!)  Exploration?  Ha, it was a complete joke.  "Defeat all enemies in a room, and bam, the map shows where everything is."  Most of the items to discover are pointless.  The environments are tiny, bland, and lifeless--with the bizarre technical issue that the game has to stop to load these tiny environments every 30 seconds.  Are we playing this on the original Playstation? What's with the loading times? 

It's almost non-existant sales and the general view of the rest of the industry--aside from Wii fanboys desperate to have good software on a dying system--tend to agree with me.  Which means the brainless, hollow, shallow, cliche, hand-holding heavy, all-wrong gameplay of Other M is probably unlikely to be seen in the next Metroid game.  Unless Nintendo is stupid enough to give it to Team Ninja and Sakamoto again.

• I see that you are pretty fired up over Other M and a huge fan of the Prime series and thats what is driving your opinions.

1. I don't want to see Other M again. I would like to see combat that way.

2. I don't want to see exploration and an easy game like the Prime games. I never ever ever got lost a single time in all three.

3. This is not supposed to be a review of either games.

4. This thread was meant to be about how much better the game would it have been pixel for pixel on the DS.

That said, and again, I loved the combat in Other M. LOVED IT.  I hated just about everything else besides getting the speed booster back and the would much rather have camera work with Samus in 3rd person. I really didn't like being behind the helmet in the prime games, in fact it removed me from Samus and felt more like "I" was Samus. I haven't gotten lost in a Metroid game since Super Metroid. And when I mean lost, I mean not knowing where to go  and just running around trying to figure it out. not just screwing around scanning pointless crap in the environment. Lore is cool, but get your Elder Scrolls out of my Metroid please. I loved knowing that the chozo relics were old in Super Metroid but really not knowing much else.

I agree with you on most of your opinions about Other M, I don't agree nor was I really trying to compare the goods of Other M with what I feel are the low points of the Prime series. I want to see the best both games had to offer, with a full 20hr game.

Which I believe looks like this:

Prime: Great environments, great looking enemies, awesome morph ball puzzles and my favorite music in a video game.

Other M: In game camera, combat, use of the d-pad for control of a character in a 3d environment.

About the d-pad...I say this thinking about the ds. I think it was ridiculous they went with that for a console that has a joystick.

I strongly believe that if this game had been released on the DS the reviewers would have given much more credit to the game for being able to create something like that on a handheld. For a console? Very weak. If they really wanted to go old school, they should have went old school all the way and created a great side-scrolling Metroid.

We all know that Other M was poorly received and that the Prime games were considered godlike. Everyone gets that. So lets stick to the point and discuss cool new stuff, and cool old stuff that would make the perfect Metroid game. If you really think Prime was the perfection of the series and it should stay that way, then so be it. Personally Super Metroid still holds the top spot for me. Because of the experience it gave me.

So I will start with that. I would love the next metroid game to be a true experience again, I want to remember going through it like I remember reading through good books, or playing great games.

A few of those moments for me were, finding the morph ball in Metroid, finally finding Kraid and Ridley, Zebes becoming aware of me in super metroid, the baby saving me in super metroid. Being scared of dark samus in fusion, exploring the environment for the first time in prime, and blowing the head off of a jumper in other M.

• A little side note, got my pre-order for Dead Space 2 today. Now this might sound like a healthy dose of sacrilege, but what if the next Metroid borrowed a little from Isaac Clark?

3rd person, space ***, the controls are super solid, and the monsters are terrifying, not to mention the ridiculous lighting. I don't know if this would work for Samus, but I think its an interesting idea.

• kerrigan marois:

I see that you are pretty fired up over Other M and a huge fan of the Prime series and thats what is driving your opinions.

1. I don't want to see Other M again. I would like to see combat that way.

2. I don't want to see exploration and an easy game like the Prime games. I never ever ever got lost a single time in all three.

3. This is not supposed to be a review of either games.

4. This thread was meant to be about how much better the game would it have been pixel for pixel on the DS.

That said, and again, I loved the combat in Other M. LOVED IT.  I hated just about everything else besides getting the speed booster back and the would much rather have camera work with Samus in 3rd person. I really didn't like being behind the helmet in the prime games, in fact it removed me from Samus and felt more like "I" was Samus. I haven't gotten lost in a Metroid game since Super Metroid. And when I mean lost, I mean not knowing where to go  and just running around trying to figure it out. not just screwing around scanning pointless crap in the environment. Lore is cool, but get your Elder Scrolls out of my Metroid please. I loved knowing that the chozo relics were old in Super Metroid but really not knowing much else.

I agree with you on most of your opinions about Other M, I don't agree nor was I really trying to compare the goods of Other M with what I feel are the low points of the Prime series. I want to see the best both games had to offer, with a full 20hr game.

Which I believe looks like this:

Prime: Great environments, great looking enemies, awesome morph ball puzzles and my favorite music in a video game.

Other M: In game camera, combat, use of the d-pad for control of a character in a 3d environment.

About the d-pad...I say this thinking about the ds. I think it was ridiculous they went with that for a console that has a joystick.

I strongly believe that if this game had been released on the DS the reviewers would have given much more credit to the game for being able to create something like that on a handheld. For a console? Very weak. If they really wanted to go old school, they should have went old school all the way and created a great side-scrolling Metroid.

We all know that Other M was poorly received and that the Prime games were considered godlike. Everyone gets that. So lets stick to the point and discuss cool new stuff, and cool old stuff that would make the perfect Metroid game. If you really think Prime was the perfection of the series and it should stay that way, then so be it. Personally Super Metroid still holds the top spot for me. Because of the experience it gave me.

So I will start with that. I would love the next metroid game to be a true experience again, I want to remember going through it like I remember reading through good books, or playing great games.

A few of those moments for me were, finding the morph ball in Metroid, finally finding Kraid and Ridley, Zebes becoming aware of me in super metroid, the baby saving me in super metroid. Being scared of dark samus in fusion, exploring the environment for the first time in prime, and blowing the head off of a jumper in other M.

You seem to be assuming that all I care about are the Prime games.  I loved them because they were near perfection--as Metroid games.  Not just perfection as video games, but because they--especially the first--so perfectly picked up everything that worked from Super Metroid--which remains one of my top games of all time--and has ever since I first played it.  I even enjoyed Metroid II and much of Metroid I.  Granted, I don't think the series truly hit it's stride until Super smoothed out everything that worked in the original. 

I love the Prime games for every conceivable reason--but they sure as hell aren't easy.  Well, except the third one, which is a cakewalk.  But that's pretty clearly because Nintendo wanted it dumbed down for the casual crowd (which the advertisements, strangely enough, catered to). 

I would also love the next Metroid game to be a true Metroid game again.  I wasn't upset by eth storytelling being in Other M--I was upset that it was the most dreadful cliched melodrama crap imaginable.  But after playing through Ninja Gaiden II and my time with Dead or Alive games, I've come to realize that that's all Team Ninja knows how to do. 

As much as I would absolutely love to see a new Metroid game in the vein of Super, I don't think it will ever happen.  That's like making a sequel to Shawshank Redemption and thinking that it'll strike gold a second time.  Zero Mission and Fusion tried, but couldn't emulate the incredible feel of Super Metroid.  Fusion really fell flat with it's awful forced linear gameplay which dragged an otherwise excellent title through the mud.  And if Nintendo thinks that Other M is "in the vein of Super Metroid," they've really lost touch. 

I initially liked Other M--largely though, I expected I would.  Which is probably why enjoyment lasted as long as it did.  But it faded, and it wasn't long before absolutely everything about the game started getting on my nerves.  I pretty much hated the 1st person crap in Other M as the mode was completely broken.  The regular run-n-gun stuff ended up being flat-out boring.  A couple decent boss battles, and a clever idea or two (the reverse gravity rooms), saddled with pure nostalgia, weren't enough for me to say Other M was anything but a travesty.

I don't care how the next game is made, so long as it's given back to Retro--or at the very least, taken away from Team Ninja completely.

• all the great stuff from the classics keep the 2d levels in on an optimum level throw in some 3ds stages but focusing more on interaction with the enviorment plus all the great power ups a fantastic storyline and im hooked (oh and ease up on the difficulty some) i dont wanna breeze through it of cours but im not trying to go mad over it either

Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 123