www.GameInformer.com
Switch Lights

The lights are on

UK/US pricing

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 0 Replies |
  • 1 Follower
  • I was looking recently at the eshop and it did get me thinking how expensive everything was compared to other platforms.  Of course android and iOS devices are far cheaper overall and steam...  Well steam is just amazing.  

Then I got thinking if the prices are different abroad.  I'm from the UK and we pretty much get ripped off for everything.   I checked to see the US prices and I felt very disappointed.  Let me give you some examples.  Bare in mind $1 is the equivalent to £0.63 as of 31/01.  I'll take the $ and show the £ exchange rate in brackets too.

Gunman Clive - $1.99/£1.99 (£1.25)

Mega Man - $4.99/£4.49 (£3.15)

Super Mario Bros 2 - $4.99/£4.49 (£3.15)

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX - $5.99/£5.39 (£3.78)

Mario's Picross - $3.99/£3.59 (£2.52)

So lets accumulate and compare the total figure.  Those 5 games are $21.95 and £19.95.  Bring in the exchange rate from the dollar price to the sterling and the total is £13.84.  Now that is a £6.11 difference.  Why?  A digital download provides the same content in both countries.  Since I bought my 3DS on the 8th of January I've spent £50.  I admit I did it on a whim and probably shouldn't have but it would have been nice to get more for my money like other people are doing across that rather large pond.
    I guess it would be fair to bring the Euro into this too.  Picross e2 in the UK is £4.49 and the Euro price (I checked the Spanish site) it is €4.99.  The difference is about 20p and much fairer than our Atlantic cousins.  In Japan the game is 500円 which equates to £3.45.  

For the sake of it I'll even compare a base model 3ds xl.  I found one easily enough at ToyRus in both counties:

3DS XL - $199.99/£174.89 (£126.11)

That is almost £50 or $79.29 difference.

It's almost as if Nintendo doesn't see much difference in the valuation of the different currency. 

The average salary in the uk is £26,500.  The average in the US is $50,500.  Which is just over £31k so we are earning less in the UK but paying more for things like this.  I'm not sure about the tax in the US but in the UK it is 20% and that is included into the purchase price.  Even so, a 20% increase on the US 3ds xl brings with the exchange rate total to £151 which is still £23 less.

I love England.  I really do, but it is awful at times.  Every day prices go up and wages stagnate.  Things are always too high for us.  It really makes me want to leave for somewhere more prosperous.

Is there any decent reason for this pricing?  

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)